Great Breast Imaging Fellowship in West and Southwest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rubix8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Brand names are easy to identify, but which programs have above average to excellent:

- culture & teaching
- procedure volume and diversity
- schedules (i.e. your time is well spent on learning breast imaging and your electives of choice and not taking general rads call)

And any non-match community programs that are worth a gander?

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed at/applied to these places last cycle. Ended at my top choice on the east coast but these are the best places for breast out west IMHO.

MD Anderson- great culture and teaching, quaternary care center, you only take weekend overnight call (only prelim read won't be final signing). I believe they have close to 50 mammo attendings and lots of big name.

UCSF- I believe q7 week (not sure) general call weekend and after work but you get paid more because of that. You have to final sign general studies on call. But UCSF has always been a mammo powerhouse. Dr. Sickles is still teaching fellows one day a week there. Lots of big name attendings at sbi and rsna. Subsidized housing in a nice part of the bay area is a plus

Stanford- good teaching. Dr. Wendy DeMartini has just been named as the SBI journal editor in chief. volume is lower than UCSF but no general call

UW - got waitlisted here. Extremely competitive for mammo but it's supposed to be one of the best programs out west.

Depending on your future job, taking general call to keep up your general skills might not be a bad idea during fellowship. I think I would look for a place with dedicated breast attendings, good culture, good volume and diversity of cases, an elective where you get to spend time with the surgeons and oncologists, and maybe research if you're into that.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed at/applied to these places last cycle. Ended at my top choice on the east coast but these are the best places for breast out west IMHO.

MD Anderson- great culture and teaching, quaternary care center, you only take weekend overnight call (only prelim read won't be final signing). I believe they have close to 50 mammo attendings and lots of big name.

UCSF- I believe q7 week (not sure) general call weekend and after work but you get paid more because of that. You have to final sign general studies on call. But UCSF has always been a mammo powerhouse. Dr. Sickles is still teaching fellows one day a week there. Lots of big name attendings at sbi and rsna. Subsidized housing in a nice part of the bay area is a plus

Stanford- good teaching. Dr. Wendy DeMartini has just been named as the SBI journal editor in chief. volume is lower than UCSF but no general call

UW - got waitlisted here. Extremely competitive for mammo but it's supposed to be one of the best programs out west.

Depending on your future job, taking general call to keep up your general skills might not be a bad idea during fellowship. I think I would look for a place with dedicated breast attendings, good culture, good volume and diversity of cases, an elective where you get to spend time with the surgeons and oncologists, and maybe research if you're into that.
Thank you and congrats on matching at your top choice!