Great DAT, low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalEnigma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Longtime lurker: I posted on the "Chance Me" thread and wasn't given any feedback, I'm wondering how my chances are right now:

AADSAS GPA: 3.25 overall, 3.37 science (I transferred from a CC with an overall and science GPA of 2.89 with 69 units completed, it's been an uphill battle of taking full upper science div courses every semester)
DAT: 22AA, 22TS, 22RC (nothing lower than a 20)
Shadowing: 500 hrs (300 at general, 200 at OMFS)
Volunteering: 300 Hours (USC Hospital, homeless shelter, etc)
Research: 250 Hours
Work: Seasonal retail jobs
ECs: Iranian Student Association (executive position for 1 year); Predental club member for 2 years , K-12 science fair judge
LOR: 1 from OMFS (Teaches at USC) 1 from Research/Bio instructor; 1 from Biochem professor
Residency: California

School List:
USC
UCLA
Loma Linda
Western
UCSF
Pacific
Midwestern AZ
AT Still
UNLV
NYU
Nova
Boston

I'd like to stay in California and especially get into USC, closest to home even though it is very expensive.

Members don't see this ad.

You have strong DAT and ECs, as long as you stay away from some top tier schools, you should be good.

i would add Tufts to your list! I have similar stats to yours and was told Tufts would be ok to apply to, especially since you already have Boston on your list

Members don't see this ad :)
Longtime lurker: I posted on the "Chance Me" thread and wasn't given any feedback, I'm wondering how my chances are right now:

AADSAS GPA: 3.25 overall, 3.37 science (I transferred from a CC with an overall and science GPA of 2.89 with 69 units completed, it's been an uphill battle of taking full upper science div courses every semester)
ECs: Iranian Student Association (executive position for 1 year); Predental club member for 2 years , K-12 science fair judge
LOR: 1 from OMFS (Teaches at USC) 1 from Research/Bio instructor; 1 from Biochem professor

School List:
USC
UCLA
Loma Linda
Western
UCSF
Pacific
Midwestern AZ
AT Still
UNLV
NYU
Nova
Boston

I'd like to stay in California and especially get into USC, closest to home even though it is very expensive.
I would take out Boston if you took any prereqs from CC. Tufts, Boston, and Temple does not accept any CC credits for pre-requisites

You have strong DAT and ECs, as long as you stay away from some top tier schools, you should be good.

Why should he stay away? You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, applying to them isn't going to lower his chances elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user

School List:
USC
UCLA
Loma Linda
Western
UCSF
Pacific
Midwestern AZ
AT Still
UNLV
NYU
Nova
Boston

just be aware that your LOR from a research professor will not satisfy the LOR requirements for USC. They don't accept a letter from lab-based professor, only lecture-based professors.

Your ECs are pretty good! We have similar GPAS and I hope I have a chance too.