Great EM student rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMalltheway

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to recommend a great rotation for students interested in Emergency Medicine. I did an EM rotation at Carilion Roanoke Memorial in Roanoke, Virginia. The ED there is the only level 1 in the area, is fast paced and sees about 72,000 patients a year. Although they are looking into starting a residency program, they currently have no EM residents so you get to be one on one with an attending and there are tons of procedures to be had if you want them. The attendings love to do bedside teaching as well. There is a diverse population of patients with about 19% Peds and their admission rate is around 22% so they see a good amount of really sick patients. Basically, if you are looking for an excellent learning opportunity where you will also enjoy working with the attendings…you need to give this rotation a look! I really honed my skills and was able to dazzle them on my other ED rotations afterward. Honestly, if they had a residency I would be going there! If your interested there is info on the SAEM website!
http://www.saem.org/saemdnn/Home/Co...tutionId=1941e6bc-edf5-4271-95b3-23c263e159b8

Members don't see this ad.

So, first post. Different font.
Carilion is going to have a residency "soon", but this just smells...odd.

Got to fill that first class with somebody.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. McNinja...I am confused by your post. I just wanted to post info on a great learning opportunity that I had. As an intern I thought I could help out a few fourth years looking into rotations. The attendings there wrote amazing letters for me...which I actually didn't read until one of my interviewers read them to me and said how impressive they were. The SLOR is very important, but so is having a really great letter written by an attending who worked multiple shifts with you! I think it really helped me to have both. I matched to my first choice program. I am doing my residency in PA and not VA, but I still loved that rotation and keep in touch with some of the Docs! I am just suggesting taking a look at this program, since my experience was so helpful. Oh, and this is my first post. I havent really had anything to say that I thought would benefit the masses until this point. I'm not the Twitter Tweet type. Back to night call...
Oh, and I'm not sure what odd odor you are referring to...all my patients tonight are still alive! :)

Major fail....