Great GPA, Low Science MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rikibamboo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been peering through some of the threads on here for the past week. Would love to get some insight on whether or not you guys think I have a shot at some of the schools I am applying to for this cycle.

Graduated from VCU in 2010 and was able to secure a really good GPA (3.9 BCPM/cumulative). Was feeling burnt out so I decided to take gap years before considering medical school. Joined an Americorps program this past year. While I loved my experience, the 12-hour days left me with little time for anything else. Was happy that I got any MCAT studying done. Took it in April and got a 28P (VR11, BS8, PS9). Worried about my science scores (especially BS). Would a low BS hurt me that much?

Planned to take it again in August but eventually decided against it because my practice tests weren't showing much improvement and I was juggling my time between ending my year with Americorps and starting an internship at an AIDS clinic in San Francisco.

I understand that I should have set aside more time to re-study for the MCAT (but to be honest I would rather not have to take that test again - it's taken enough of my life...). But I would appreciate some comments on whether I have a shot to the following schools:

UCSF
UC-Davis
UC-Irvine
USC
Loyola
BU
UConn
Tufts
Temple
UMaryland
GWU
GU
VCU
EVMS
UVa
VTech

My ECs are good. I also have in-state status in Virginia.

What do you guys think??? :)

Members don't see this ad.

UCSF
UC-Davis
UC-Irvine
USC
Loyola
BU
UConn
Tufts
Temple
UMaryland
GWU
GU
VCU
EVMS
UVa
VTech

)

I would pick up an MSAR. It tells you a lot of statistics on each school. To be honest, your list is unrealistic for your stats. You have a chance because you have an outstanding gpa and great ECs, but your MCAT is going to get you screened out at most of the schools on your list. Your MCAT is below the 10th percentile for most of the schools on that list... all the UC schools and being out of state makes chances of admission practically none. Same goes for Maryland and UConn. Youre also below the 10th percentile MCAT for BU and Tufts (and if GU is Georgetown same goes for them). IMHO keep the VA schools and the private schools if and only if you are from a very wealthy family and have the money to spend on applications which very likely will not be acceptances, but def add some lower tier private schools. You may get in, but honest chances are you will have to retake the MCAT and reapply next year unless you are a URM minority.

I would look into places like WakeForest (10th percentile MCAT 27)
The CommonWealth Medical College in Scranton PA (10th percentile MCAT 26)
Rosalind Franklin (10th percentile MCAT 27)
maybe Drexel (10th percentile MCAT 28)
and some of the HBMCs if you are URM minority. You could have a great application if you brought up your MCAT just a few more points so I really STRONGLY advise a retake.

good luck,

Alex

Thanks Alex. Nope, I'm not a URM. I know my school list is a bit ambitious. Had sent in my primaries last July with the thought of re-taking the MCAT again in August. Might hold off from submitting secondaries to non-Virginian schools (the few that have come in). We'll see how this goes. If it comes down to it, I'll take the MCAT again April or May of next year. My brain just couldn't take the stress of the additional studying so soon after my last MCAT without much of a break.