1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Great IPad apps?

Discussion in 'Step II' started by LEdaddy, Aug 11, 2011.

1. LEdaddy

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I searched the forum and saw some props for Cramfighter for schedule-making. Has anyone used any of the other CK apps? I'm curious about the q&a ones, ie. First Aid, Lange, etc. There aren't very many reviews out there on ITunes.

It would be nice to not have to lug my laptop around. One of the threads mentioned that you can use an app to make UW work on IPads/IPhones.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PokerDoc

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You can put all the iphone pretest apps on ipad. If you jailbreak the ipad, there is an app that improves the resolution of the iphone 2x mode to make it crystal clear. I used that for all the pretest apps instead of buying the books.

There is also a practice CK test app, but it looks like crap, I wouldn't buy it.

For non CK stuff, there is an app called One night in the ED, which has 50 or so radiology cases that is really an amazing free radiology teaching file for common ED scenarios.

4. digitlnoize

digitlnoize Rock God
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    That was probably me. It requires a home computer that is on and connected to the 'net though. I use an App called Jump Desktop (which is the best remote desktop app out there, and I've tried a lot), and it lets you see your Windows desktop on your iPad. Works GREAT for UWorld, which is about all I used it for, except some occasional file management stuff.

Good Reader - Best PDF reader by far. Highlighting, annotation, markups, and syncing to a variety of "cloud" servers (Dropbox, etc). Put a PDF book in your Dropbox and it's instantly accessible through GoodReader.

AirVideo - Excellent for watching lecture videos (like Kaplan, or whatever). My only complaint is you can't do double speed, but still very good. Also requires a home server on.

While you've got your home server running, I'd get iSub or AudioGalaxy to stream your entire music library to your device to listen to while you're studying. Also works great in your car over 3G -> Bluetooth -> stereo.

There's a bunch of other moderately useful apps, but these are the BIG, MUST HAVE ones.

5. PokerDoc

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i use teamviewer for uworld, works great and its free

6. LEdaddy

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is it also a remote desktop app?

7. PokerDoc

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    indeed.. I like it because of its simplicity, and it works seamlessly with both my mac and pc.

From time to open the app to actually being able to use stuff on my desktop cant be more than 5 seconds.

8. kryptik

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    +1 for teamviewer, works on ios, android, windows and its very simple and easy to use

9. DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I suggest making this thread or something similar a sticky. A lot of people are looking for this information. Great post digitlnoize.

10. apricotattack

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Do you use the lite version of teamviewer, and it works well? The real thing looks a little pricey...

11. PokerDoc

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    lite version is the same thing, its intended for personal use (i.e. you). The full version does nothing extra its just licensed for commercial use.