GREs and MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scneuro

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools require GRE scores for admittance to their MD/PhD program?

I know GWU does. Does anyone else? Is there a place on the web that lists what's competitive or not GRE score-wise. I haven't found anything yet.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've read that most schools either don't require it, or leave it upto the PhD department to decide. Does GW expect just the general GRE? or are they looking for certain subject GREs too? I really don't want to have to worry about another standardized test.

Reimat said:
I've read that most schools either don't require it, or leave it upto the PhD department to decide. Does GW expect just the general GRE? or are they looking for certain subject GREs too? I really don't want to have to worry about another standardized test.

I feel you on that one. GW requires the general. I took the GREs 2 years ago when i was applying to grad school, but I didn't really care about them then and now i'm wondering whether I should take them again. i did alright, nothing stellar. and my mcats aren't great (not the typical md/phd applicant score) your thoughts?
Currently I'm getting my master's in neuropharmacology and neuroscience.

Members don't see this ad :)
scneuro said:
Which schools require GRE scores for admittance to their MD/PhD program?

I know GWU does. Does anyone else? Is there a place on the web that lists what's competitive or not GRE score-wise. I haven't found anything yet.

Thanks!
Not many from what I know. I have seen it more common when ones to pursue their PhD Bioengineer or Biomed engineering, both U Mich and Case Western required that. Atleast when I last looked a few months ago.

Good luck

i'd call cwru and umich bme b/c I applied to both mst programs last cycle and didn't have gre scores. Nobody said anything even though I interviewed with mostly bme people, but maybe they might make you take the gre when you actually join the bme phd program??

microTAS said:
i'd call cwru and umich bme b/c I applied to both mst programs last cycle and didn't have gre scores. Nobody said anything even though I interviewed with mostly bme people, but maybe they might make you take the gre when you actually join the bme phd program??
I go to UMich as an undergrad, and current policy is definitely that you need the GRE for any PhD outside of a medical field or for biomedical engineering, and that is what they will tell you if you call.

UMich doesn't require you to declare a doctoral field upon admission, so that would explain your interviews, but I imagine to declare BME you will need the GRE.

_ian said:
I go to UMich as an undergrad, and current policy is definitely that you need the GRE for any PhD outside of a medical field or for biomedical engineering, and that is what they will tell you if you call.

UMich doesn't require you to declare a doctoral field upon admission, so that would explain your interviews, but I imagine to declare BME you will need the GRE.

That was the impression I got, although havnt had the time to specifically contact U Mich over that question. I figured that I'd have to take the GREs sometime before I declare the BME program as a major.

Thanks

bottles999 said:
That was the impression I got, although havnt had the time to specifically contact U Mich over that question. I figured that I'd have to take the GREs sometime before I declare the BME program as a major.

Thanks

BME program = GRE? Bollocks. :(

Arg. Another standardized test...

So, if you ended up wanting to do something like chemistry or physics, could you not declare anything initially, and then when you got in, arrange to take the general GRE and the subject GRE? Do you have to take a subject GRE at all?

mercaptovizadeh said:
So, if you ended up wanting to do something like chemistry or physics, could you not declare anything initially, and then when you got in, arrange to take the general GRE and the subject GRE? Do you have to take a subject GRE at all?

If you guys were to take the GREs, when would you take them(i.e. how long do you think one should study for them?) and two, do you think it will hold up our application?

scneuro said:
If you guys were to take the GREs, when would you take them(i.e. how long do you think one should study for them?) and two, do you think it will hold up our application?

I took the GRE already. It studied a week tops (worked the practice exams online, and did a Barrons test book), and ended up with something in the 1300's. Not bad, not great; got me into my biostats program.

For BME, I'm guessing you'd wanna shoot for a score higher than that, and thus would want ot study a bit longer than I did. They offer the GRE more frequently than the MCAT (it comes about to be like monthly if I recall), so the chances of it holding up your app is unlikely.

Google GRE and you will get a buttload of practice stuff online; gre.org is the main webpage for registering, they have stuff there as well.

...anyone wanna give me a list of decent schools for BME in Texas, NC, and the west coast? My background is stats and physio, so I'm pretty clueless to good programs. I'm looking at imaging stuff primarily...

:thumbup:

If you're undecided about BME then it might be fine just to delay the GRE stuff until after you get into the MSTP and then decide on the PhD. The official word I got was that the GREs are needed to help apply to fellowships or the like (not sure if this matters for mstps since nih flips the bill).

scooter31 said:
...anyone wanna give me a list of decent schools for BME in Texas, NC, and the west coast? My background is stats and physio, so I'm pretty clueless to good programs. I'm looking at imaging stuff primarily...

:thumbup:

I'll put in a plug for Rice, there's some neat optical nanoshell stuff going on. Also, UTMB in Galveston has a joint md/phd program with the UT-Austin BME grad school.

Other programs to consider (in the regions you mentioned) are Duke, UNC, UCSD, UCLA, UC-Irvine, and U Washington (I've heard about these schools but don't know much about them).

btw, I took the GRE b/c, well, what's another standardized test, and the only time it came up was during one interview: "how did you possibly get a 17%-tile on your essay??" I think I accidentally deleted one essay, and we laughed about it. Basically, the GRE isn't a big deal in this process~

i am completing with my MPH from india, last in curriculum i am left with a 2 months internship.i am looking for an international exposure. can anyone guide me for the same preferably i would like to do it in some developed country.

:cool: