Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a result of not being able to read a prereq guide, today was my third go at the PCAT (ferris required new version w/2nd essay), and I would like to share some thoughts. It seems that many here are attempting to determine how well they scored based on their own perception of how difficult/easy each subsection was. Let me remind you that this subjective determination of difficulty has already been made for you by the testmakers. From the CIB,
"Different forms of any test may vary somewhat in difficulty. Because of the differences in difficulty between different forms of the PCAT, the same raw scores (number of test items answered correctly) obtained for the five multiple-choice subtests on different test forms are not necessarily equivalent."
My previous scores (scaled, %) Oct. '06 on left, Jan. '07 on right. Writing was 3/5 both times.
difference
Verbal 422, 82 ----- 461, 99 +39, +17
Biol 406, 62 ----- 428, 87 +22, +25
Read 423, 83 ----- 417, 76 -6, -7
Quan 438, 93 ----- 417, 79 -21, -14
Chem 426, 86 ----- 426, 86 0 0
Comp 423, 87 ----- 430, 93 +7, +6
-----------------------------------------------------
Again, these tests were taken 3 months apart. I am *confident* that I answered more questions correctly in Oct. verbal than in Jan. The massive improvement of 39 points was because someone deemed the Jan. verbal section more difficult than the Oct. Even though I answered fewer questions correctly, my score jumped substantially. Upon learning I had to take the test yet again, I informed Harcourt that I should like a customized test which contained the "most difficult" version of each subsection; they did not respond. My reasoning being that a hypothetical 53/56 on an easier form would be a lower score than 45/56 on the most difficult. This may not be an issue if not for the time limit, as you could afford to miss more questions on the harder version--or even leave a few blank. As opposed to twiddling your thumbs after breezing through the easy version.
Also, even though 8 questions and 5 minutes were shaved off each section to make room for the much needed SECOND bs writing prompt, scores are still calculated against the same control group as before (1st time test takers 1998-2003), they had 35 minutes to answer 56 questions. I realize that these both work out to .625 minutes per question, and this would be OK if each question were of the same difficulty, but the easy questions can be answered in a few seconds. 5 more minutes would be an advantage when returning to work on the harder questions.
As for the essays, what do they prove? I have no problem admitting that I am unable to form a cogent, cohesive essay either for or against some random prompt in which I may or may not be interested -- in 30 minutes. Perhaps I have an innate defense mechanism which will not allow arguments to be formed so rapidly, with so little thought put into them, lest they lack solid foundations and collapse in a zephyr. An honest carpenter would refuse to build such a structure. Nor would he build a house simply to prove he could do so, that it may be torn down after its soundness had been verified.
"Different forms of any test may vary somewhat in difficulty. Because of the differences in difficulty between different forms of the PCAT, the same raw scores (number of test items answered correctly) obtained for the five multiple-choice subtests on different test forms are not necessarily equivalent."
My previous scores (scaled, %) Oct. '06 on left, Jan. '07 on right. Writing was 3/5 both times.
difference
Verbal 422, 82 ----- 461, 99 +39, +17
Biol 406, 62 ----- 428, 87 +22, +25
Read 423, 83 ----- 417, 76 -6, -7
Quan 438, 93 ----- 417, 79 -21, -14
Chem 426, 86 ----- 426, 86 0 0
Comp 423, 87 ----- 430, 93 +7, +6
-----------------------------------------------------
Again, these tests were taken 3 months apart. I am *confident* that I answered more questions correctly in Oct. verbal than in Jan. The massive improvement of 39 points was because someone deemed the Jan. verbal section more difficult than the Oct. Even though I answered fewer questions correctly, my score jumped substantially. Upon learning I had to take the test yet again, I informed Harcourt that I should like a customized test which contained the "most difficult" version of each subsection; they did not respond. My reasoning being that a hypothetical 53/56 on an easier form would be a lower score than 45/56 on the most difficult. This may not be an issue if not for the time limit, as you could afford to miss more questions on the harder version--or even leave a few blank. As opposed to twiddling your thumbs after breezing through the easy version.
Also, even though 8 questions and 5 minutes were shaved off each section to make room for the much needed SECOND bs writing prompt, scores are still calculated against the same control group as before (1st time test takers 1998-2003), they had 35 minutes to answer 56 questions. I realize that these both work out to .625 minutes per question, and this would be OK if each question were of the same difficulty, but the easy questions can be answered in a few seconds. 5 more minutes would be an advantage when returning to work on the harder questions.
As for the essays, what do they prove? I have no problem admitting that I am unable to form a cogent, cohesive essay either for or against some random prompt in which I may or may not be interested -- in 30 minutes. Perhaps I have an innate defense mechanism which will not allow arguments to be formed so rapidly, with so little thought put into them, lest they lack solid foundations and collapse in a zephyr. An honest carpenter would refuse to build such a structure. Nor would he build a house simply to prove he could do so, that it may be torn down after its soundness had been verified.