*groan* . . . WashU vs. USC-Keck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velo-city

Fetal MD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys.

So I'm in WashU, have an offer from USC that I've been waffling on and time's running out.

My pro's for WashU: lovely school, top ten, seeing what life is like outside of cali.

Pro's for USC: my lovely GF will be close, lovely weather. I figure I can't go wrong with USC, but I still feel pangs for WashU.

Your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

velo-city said:
Sorry guys.

So I'm in WashU, have an offer from USC that I've been waffling on and time's running out.

My pro's for WashU: lovely school, top ten, seeing what life is like outside of cali.

Pro's for USC: my lovely GF will be close, lovely weather. I figure I can't go wrong with USC, but I still feel pangs for WashU.

Your thoughts?
Hmm...depends on how lovely the girlfriend is. :p

In all seriousness, it's going to come down to your own personal preferences. If I were in your situation, I'd get the heck out of Cali and see a different part of the US/world for a bit. I would also never make a decision based on the location of a girl (unless it were my wife, of course). Just imagine what would happen if things don't work out...you'll always be wondering, "what if?"

Good luck. :luck:

my guess is that she *will* be my wife before I finish med school. She's finishing her third year in med school herself, and I'm not sure how much flexibility there's gonna be with her finding a residency out in St. Louis.

Members don't see this ad :)
WashU is an incredible school, but if this girl is the one you think you're going to spend the rest of your life with, then you really need to think about what distance is going to do for your relationship? What specialty is she thinking about? Would she have a good chance of matching in the area?

This is just a hunch, but I feel WashU will open alot of doors for you in the future. However, there are more important things in life.

Zymogen said:
This is just a hunch, but I feel WashU will open alot of doors for you in the future. However, there are more important things in life.

I will vote for Wash U. ofcourse. Plenty of reason, ofcourse to top it is its academic facilities, reputation, and respect. Dont base your decision on weather or a girl, even if she is going to be your wife, in either school you wont have much time and you can always do clinicals in similar areas where she will be doing her residency. And because she is an MSIII, she wont know where she will be after medical school. And if there is love, love is inseperable regardless of distance, if you had kids together it be a different story. Again I will go to Wash Uni. given the choice, it will get you a residency anywhere in Cali. Also look at financial aid packages and expenses in addition to the school academics.
Just my 2 cents.

velo-city said:
Sorry guys.

Your thoughts?
unless you're about to be married, you'd be crazy to give up washu.

I was in a similar situation to you. I was picking between UCSD and WashU until UCSD offered me an MSTP position and it became easy. I'm also a san diego kid.

The things I considered were 1) future aspirations and 2) cost

1) I was planning on being a GP so UCSD makes better sense. Don't need super-competitive school for residency.

2) USC probably will cost about what washU will since UC schools are state tuition and usc is private.

3) no ball and chain here. Seriouisly man you'll never see her if shes going to be an MS3

if i were you i would pick WashU.