Gross Anatomy ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pamd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do med students have access to cadavers (outside of lab time) as they please, or are they only allowed to be viewed during class? Is there a fee, etc? Sorry if this has been asked already.

Members don't see this ad.

At my school, we have access cards that we swipe and we have access any time day or night.

I am assuming by your use of "fee" that you are asking if we have to pay a fee to come in after hours. The answer to that is no.

Access is 24/7, you are assigned a cadaver for your group to use all semester. No fees that I know of, other than tuition and fees.

Members don't see this ad :)
I concur with the previous posters. Access is 24/7 by ID card swipe (except 48 hours before a practical exam, when the instructors are busy preparing the cadavers for the test).

Of course its going to varry by institution - so check w/ them - but I would imagine that every school would give you 24/7 access

pamd said:
Do med students have access to cadavers (outside of lab time) as they please, or are they only allowed to be viewed during class? Is there a fee, etc? Sorry if this has been asked already.

For $40,000/year you should be able to go into that stank lab all you want... On second thought, they should pay YOU for spending extra time in there.

Anyone know if you are allowed to view other groups cadavers?

how about with their permission?

fiddler

fiddler said:
Anyone know if you are allowed to view other groups cadavers?

how about with their permission?

fiddler

you should always be encouraged to view other tanks, as anatomy differs between individuals. I wouldn't go cutting anyone elses cadaver, that would be a no-no, but yes viewing is allowed and encouraged.

Its usually encouraged to look at other cadavers because the human body naturally (and sometimes pathologically) varies from one body to the next. Your practicals will be tested on all the bodies so make sure you check out as many as you can. Just don't go messing up other people's dissections. Dissecting is hard work and nothing is more frustrating that spending tons of time preserving structures just to come in and find that some one has carelessly ripped everything up.

I wouldn't cut someone else's cadavers.

I just want to look because the structures, while similar, can be very different, at least during a practical. I learn the hard way that if you don't look at the other people's cats, the practical was that much harder.

thanks guys.

Yeah same here as everyone else said, you can go in 24/7 (though I usually try to make sure someone else is there too, otherwise it's just creepy), no fees or anything like that, but you will get in trouble if you cut on someone else's cadaver. But they tag all of the bodies pretty much for the practicals so I would definitely look at a few other bodies. At my school there are 200 students and 50 cadavers, so I probably can't look at all of them but you can't just look at yours since every body is a little different.