ground zero knowledge expectation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suckerfree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What level of knowledge is expected of someone starting a residency in pathology?

Members don't see this ad.

We have this thread just about every year at this time, you might want to try a search or looking through old posts. Basically though you should know what "cancer" means but that's about it. You will learn as you go.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have this thread just about every year at this time, you might want to try a search or looking through old posts. Basically though you should know what "cancer" means but that's about it. You will learn as you go.

i've talked about this topic with my advisor, and her comments mirror yaah's. pathology faculty realize we come in knowing very little about how to practice pathology. i was told we will be expected to have the pertinent clinical knowledge (ie, the stuff you learned to get through med school).

on a similar note, any comments from current residents about whether it's worth my time to try and re-read all of Robbins during my MS4 year?

You might try, if you were bored with your rotations. I wouldn't go out of your way, and if you would rather sit on the porch in the sunshine dreaming of what you are going to do with the last long summer vacation you'll have in ages, I'd highly recommend you do that instead.

i've talked about this topic with my advisor, and her comments mirror yaah's. pathology faculty realize we come in knowing very little about how to practice pathology. i was told we will be expected to have the pertinent clinical knowledge (ie, the stuff you learned to get through med school).

on a similar note, any comments from current residents about whether it's worth my time to try and re-read all of Robbins during my MS4 year?

Reread ALL of Robbins? How much could you retain? That is highly a waste of time IMO. Close to insane. Don't you think you will learn everything in residency? Maybe reading Rosai/Ackerman would be a better option although just as insane.

a guy i know who's a year ahead of me did this, so i just thought i'd throw the idea out there. i personally like deschutes's suggestion, although i will add that i will be sitting on the porch with a chilled glass of reisling to cool me down during my last muggy florida summer.

a guy i know who's a year ahead of me did this, so i just thought i'd throw the idea out there. i personally like deschutes's suggestion, although i will add that i will be sitting on the porch with a chilled glass of reisling to cool me down during my last muggy florida summer.
It is actually not difficult to find muggy summers throughout the US :)

This is the first summer of your being an M.D., the first summer that you're secure in the joy of knowing you've landed a residency in the field of your choice, that you can look forward to being paid come July, that maybe all those years of med school were worth it.

Make the most of it. Those moments in medicine don't come often. Soon you'll be feeling stupid like the rest of us seniors ;)

What level of knowledge is expected of someone starting a residency in pathology?

If you can operate the power switch of the microscope, you know more then enough.

Seriously, the level of expectation is close to zero.