Group Interview at Touro-MI...Brutal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperDOgirl

SuperDOgirl
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I have an interview scheduled next week and I am interested in finding out how the interview is set up at Touro-MI. I've heard that the panel is composed of fellow interviewees. Do they have access to my files? Are there anyone else besides applicants such as Ph.Ds, medical students and etc?

Please provide insights! I am nervous!

Thanks,
SuperDoGirl

WVSOM Class 2010. :)

Members don't see this ad.

In my group, there were six interviewees and four interviewers. All the interviewers have access to your file. None of the interviewees do. The interviewers take turns asking people questions. I didn't much like the whole set-up (or the feel of the school in general - but that's just me). The questions wre generally taken from your background or personal statement. As for the four interviewers: one student, a librarian, a PhD, and one other one who I don't know who he was. None of the questions were especially malicious - some tougher than others. Each person gets a total of three to four questions, so you'd better answer them very well.

Good luck!

Are you interviewing on the 22nd? If so, I'll be there! Definitely check out the interview feedback on this site to get a feel for what types of questions they tend to ask. They seem to ask both ethical and individualized questions. Depending on what kind of interviewer you are, the group thing is easy for some, hard for others. I don't know how I'll respond to it either, but I'm hoping for the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
it's not that bad at all...be honest and be yourself and an impt. thing to remember is to be respectful towards the other interviewers when they speak by listening and paying attention to what they say. look over your application, personal statement as well as the tucom secondaries, because questions can be pulled out of the stuff you put it. overall it's fairly relaxing and dr. haight does a great job of getting you guys relaxed...hope that helps!

Hey, I also have an interview next week... this next tuesday. I am a little anxious as well. I guess we have to take everybody's word for it and hope it is not too bad. Best of luck, I am sure you will do great. Just remember they already like what they see in your application, so just be yourself. GL.

jschro21 said:
Are you interviewing on the 22nd? If so, I'll be there! Definitely check out the interview feedback on this site to get a feel for what types of questions they tend to ask. They seem to ask both ethical and individualized questions. Depending on what kind of interviewer you are, the group thing is easy for some, hard for others. I don't know how I'll respond to it either, but I'm hoping for the best!

I will be interviewed on Monday, 21st. Looks like I will beat you by one day. This will be my 7th interview and I am most nervous about this one. I am not sure if it would ended up being my top choice. The whole group interview just freaks me out....

SuperDOgirl said:
I will be interviewed on Monday, 21st. Looks like I will beat you by one day. This will be my 7th interview and I am most nervous about this one. I am not sure if it would ended up being my top choice. The whole group interview just freaks me out....

My interview is also coming up. Even though it will be my 4th, I am equally anxious. What do you guys know about the school, besides the fact that it is on a military base, an island, etc. etc. I really don't know what to make of it. The idea of California sounds great to me, but I am not sure about the quality compared to say, LECOM or MSU. Any ideas?

I am on the same boat - I just got an invite via snail mail and have to set up an interview now. Honestly, the group interview seems a bit scary. Question - do they ask about your grades/scores right infront of other interviewers....and if so - does this seem at all violating? I have been reading as much as possible regarding TUCOM and the interview process - any more input about the school (curriculum, campus, housing, etc) or anything helpful would be greatly appreciated. You guys have already been a great help - thanks!!!!!

kerisimasi said:
Honestly, the group interview seems a bit scary. QUOTE]

Hey! I just got back from this interview today(interviewed on Monday) and it wasn't bad at all! I really enjoyed the group format, because it lets you see how others respond to similar questions, and gives you a good measure of where your at!

If you care what your peers think about your application/answers then it could be a little difficult, but remember, everyone has problems in their own applications so don't worry if one of your "glitches" comes up, no biggie!

I was asked pretty good questions... Nothing to difficult at all, "DO vs. MD", "your involved in X, tell me what you've learned from it", "A student applies to my school with a crappy letter of Rec, what should I do?"... Very interesting questions, and an extremely reasonable panel. I have a feeling other applicants will show their distaste with the panel, and how they were SOOOO brutal... Bottom line, they weren't... Its just that some people get nervous in a tiny room filled with 10 people, and don't answers questions as well as they should...

Just take it easy, go into knowing they have already taken you with your grades/MCAT/EC's, and now just want to see what kind of person you are!

Good luck!! :thumbup: :luck:

Donvb said:
kerisimasi said:
Honestly, the group interview seems a bit scary. QUOTE]

Hey! I just got back from this interview today(interviewed on Monday) and it wasn't bad at all! I really enjoyed the group format, because it lets you see how others respond to similar questions, and gives you a good measure of where your at!

If you care what your peers think about your application/answers then it could be a little difficult, but remember, everyone has problems in their own applications so don't worry if one of your "glitches" comes up, no biggie!

I was asked pretty good questions... Nothing to difficult at all, "DO vs. MD", "your involved in X, tell me what you've learned from it", "A student applies to my school with a crappy letter of Rec, what should I do?"... Very interesting questions, and an extremely reasonable panel. I have a feeling other applicants will show their distaste with the panel, and how they were SOOOO brutal... Bottom line, they weren't... Its just that some people get nervous in a tiny room filled with 10 people, and don't answers questions as well as they should...

Just take it easy, go into knowing they have already taken you with your grades/MCAT/EC's, and now just want to see what kind of person you are!

Good luck!! :thumbup: :luck:

Yes, but how did you like the where abouts of the school? How were the students, and the board scores--pretty common concerns. It is lecture based correct? How were the auditoriums, classrooms, anatomy labs? Also a concern of mine is, how frequently are exams given--weekly, or say one or two per block?

FrogE7 said:
Donvb said:
Yes, but how did you like the where abouts of the school? How were the students, and the board scores--pretty common concerns. It is lecture based correct? How were the auditoriums, classrooms, anatomy labs? Also a concern of mine is, how frequently are exams given--weekly, or say one or two per block?

how did you like the where abouts of the school?: The island was terribly disgusting(warehouse upon warehouse, railroad, abandoned buildings, construction...) You must drive off of the island to get to any stores, civilization, etc..(about 5-10 min, no biggie I guess)

Students: They seemed to like it! It was a VERY relaxed style, we went to one lecture with about 20 people in it and a bunch of people standing outside laughing with us about the horrible lecture... seemed to relaxed for me, but this could be a positive for many people that don't want very much structure!

auditoriums, classrooms, anatomy labs: Auditorium was nice, classrooms mediocre, anatomy lab was huge(the whole class does it at same time)...

Exams: given in a block schedule

Donvb said:
FrogE7 said:
how did you like the where abouts of the school?: The island was terribly disgusting(warehouse upon warehouse, railroad, abandoned buildings, construction...) You must drive off of the island to get to any stores, civilization, etc..(about 5-10 min, no biggie I guess)

Students: They seemed to like it! It was a VERY relaxed style, we went to one lecture with about 20 people in it and a bunch of people standing outside laughing with us about the horrible lecture... seemed to relaxed for me, but this could be a positive for many people that don't want very much structure!

auditoriums, classrooms, anatomy labs: Auditorium was nice, classrooms mediocre, anatomy lab was huge(the whole class does it at same time)...

Exams: given in a block schedule

Thanks! This helps a lot. Are you leaning towards attending the school, given the opportunity? Final thoughts?

Hey guys,

I interviewed at TUCOM-MI at the end of Spetember. I was really nervous going into a group interview as well and especially since it was my second one and I really wanted to stay in Cali, so it was one of my top choices.

I really liked the interview though. Dr. Haight works especially hard to calm you down before your interview and goes through the room and gives you a prep interview. He asks you to describe yourself and asks some questions. Then he makes comments on how you responded and the kind of things that you should say. This really helped me out because I wasn't as nervous when the real interview came around. Also, I made sure to bring up things that he mentioned.

As far as the interview, there were 4 interviewers (two DOs who were profs, 1 basic science prof, and a student) and 6 interviewees at mine. Most questions were based on your application and your past experiences. The interviewers were well informed and had actually spent time reading the applications. They had comments made on their paper about what they wanted to ask you. They never brought up anyone's specific GPA or MCAT though they asked one about her low GPA in a nice way. The interviewer just said, I know you've gone through some hardships in the past, so how would you handle the tough med school curriculum. So it wasn't anything like a direct attack on her. Otherwise they would quote stuff off your application and ask you about it. The student asked each person about one of the hobbies that they listed on the application, as well. Overall, I really liked this interview because you got a chance to get to know the other applicants and the breaks between the interview gave you a chance to relax and prep for the next question. Also, my interviewers were very laid-back and even made jokes so I had a good experience. As a pointer, I would make sure to listen to the other applicants and try to refer back if you can at least once so they know you're paying attention.

As far as the school, it's nothing superb, but I think it's ok. There's nothing directly near campus but if you have a car, I'm thinking that things shouldn't be terribly far. There is no wireless on campus which kind of disappointed me, but all the students I've talked to said that hasn't been an issue. The Vallejo area is pretty nice in my opinion. And San Francisco isn't too far off. Overall I liked the school and will probably be attending there next year.

This was probably the longest post I've written on SDN! :) I hope it helped! Good luck to those interviewing and remember to be calm and be yourself!

FrogE7 said:
Donvb said:
Thanks! This helps a lot. Are you leaning towards attending the school, given the opportunity? Final thoughts?

Right now I have been accepted to WVSOM, and am leaning toward WVSOM if accepted to TUCOM... I thought it had a much better atmosphere, the campus is beautiful, and I think i'll fit in better there...

thanks for all the input donvb and others - very helpful

DANG!!! lol. I wasnt' nervous till people started to post on here, lol.

so who's interviewing on the 22nd? I AM I AM I AM!!! anyone staying at teh hotel they recommended? let me know, and if anyone wants to go and hangout and is out of town, let's go for a ride !!!!! hopefulyl the weather isn't too crappy, lol. maybe go to berkeley or something, or if you guys need a ride back tothe airport, hopefully my humble little civic can fit ya'all!!!! I would share a room, but the fact that my snoring might keep you will hurt me more than hurt you knowing that you could not get your sleep, lol. anyways, if anyone is down to grab some lunch, snack, chilllll, or needs a ride to the airport, let me know!!! i'm from the bay so if you need a mini tour, yatta it is! YATTA!

manfood.com said:
DANG!!! lol. I wasnt' nervous till people started to post on here, lol.

so who's interviewing on the 22nd? I AM I AM I AM!!! anyone staying at teh hotel they recommended? let me know, and if anyone wants to go and hangout and is out of town, let's go for a ride !!!!! hopefulyl the weather isn't too crappy, lol. maybe go to berkeley or something, or if you guys need a ride back tothe airport, hopefully my humble little civic can fit ya'all!!!! I would share a room, but the fact that my snoring might keep you will hurt me more than hurt you knowing that you could not get your sleep, lol. anyways, if anyone is down to grab some lunch, snack, chilllll, or needs a ride to the airport, let me know!!! i'm from the bay so if you need a mini tour, yatta it is! YATTA!

I am interviewing on the 22nd and will be staying at the quality inn, which reminds me to make a reservation. When are you getting in to Vallejo? I'm flying into Oakland and I'm assuming I'll take the shuttle to the hotel. Is that the best way to go? If you have any suggestions, please let me know! I've never been to the bay area, so I am very exicted!

pm me. let me know when you fly in and stuff, and maybe i'll just drive up there with ya. i'm contemplating what to do actually, I might be in davis, I'm not sure, lol. Take the shuttle will probably be the easist thing to do if you don't have a ride. damn, you coulnd't fly into sac? I think sac is closer than oakland. well, whatever, at least you get to enjoy the fresh air from the bay, oh wait, oakland smells funny sometimes, lol. IF you have time we can come back to my sushi restaruant and eat! YAY!! FOR SUSHI!!!

not for me anymore though, lol.

When I went through it, I decided i liked it better than other interviews... for one simple reason. My performance from interview to interview was consistently strong (i'm decent at interviews), but the one bit of information I got out of the group interview, was how I interview, compared to the rest of my group. I liked having that bit of info... it made me feel good and confident. It's reasonable that people don't like the group interview for that same reason (or for other reasons... there are many).

The point is not brutality, the point is to get to know you. You already got chosen to come visit them, which means they already have good reasons to accept you... just take it to the interview and nail it.

:luck: Best of Luck :luck: