Group/Marital Therapy Inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it possible for a psychiatrist to exclusively work in group therapy for couples/ marital therapy?

if so, what can such a psychiatrist expect as a realistic annual salary?

Members don't see this ad.

what do you mean? as in, no meds, just therapy and thats it? If so, then you'd charge by the session -but why go to med school then?

i have edited my original post. no, i suppose the psychiatrist could also oversee medication adjustment as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
prominence said:
is it possible for a psychiatrist to exclusively work in group therapy for couples/ marital therapy?

if so, what can such a psychiatrist expect as a realistic annual salary?

A psychiatrist can do pretty much whatever they want. I know of a psychiatrist affiliated with my hospital that does this, and is very successful.

Annual salary is as much as you allow it - depends if you're fee-for-service, take only insurances, work in a salaried clinic, etc., etc.

Anasazi23 said:
A psychiatrist can do pretty much whatever they want. I know of a psychiatrist affiliated with my hospital that does this, and is very successful.

successful in what way?

Anasazi23 said:
money-wise with busy and interesting caseload.

how does he accept payment: fee-for-service, insurance only, or is he in a salaried clinic?

how much would you ballpark he makes annually?

does he prescribe psychiatric medications as well for these couples?

what's his name?

prominence said:
how does he accept payment: fee-for-service, insurance only, or is he in a salaried clinic?

what's his name?

bump

prominence said:
He does all three, including the clinic
about 250k
On occasion...
what's his name?
I don't have his permission, nor do I normally give out people's names on the internet.

does he have a private practice exclusively for marital therapy, besides the salaried clinic?

could u ballpark the amount of hrs he works per week?

prominence said:
does he have a private practice exclusively for marital therapy, besides the salaried clinic?

could u ballpark the amount of hrs he works per week?

Jeebus do you want his/her blood type/DNA/DOB/marital status too???

I'm with Solid on this one - Prom, why do all your posts ask questions like "how much does <insert specialty here> make?" and then always followed with "exactly how much work does that require" I just find it really strange that your posts are always asking about income potential and hours, there seems to be no drive, but that you're instead just doing this for the money. I understand people want to make money (I do ofcourse) it just seems thats all your posts ever consist of.

Care to elaborate on the reason why? Perhaps you would get more people responding if they understood why you always ask these questions.

besides doing a PY-IV elective, how would i go about getting more training/experience in group and marital therapy?

are there any unofficial fellowship programs in this psychiatric subspecialty?