Group study for Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnms

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your feelings about studying with or along side one or two people for Step 1. Is there any use to it? Helpful/not? If any of you did, how would you recommend doing it.

I'm thinking about at least studying alongside a friend just to keep other on track and motivated.

Give me your sand paper!

Members don't see this ad.

If you studied with people during first and second year, I would continue doing so. If you are used to studying on your own, then I would continue studying on your own. Some people do find it useful to have people going over the same topic as them in close proximity to help them keep motivated and so that they have someone who can answer their questions. I definitely found that it helped to study around other people for conversation breaks, but I got most of my work done independently. I think most of your studying should be on your own with other people around, to make sure that you are really learning the stuff and one to two people aren't dominating the study group. Also, make sure that your study partners are not slackers who are going to de-motivate you from your studying by wanting to talk all the time or something. I think that it's useful to study with people who want to spend more time studying then you do, so you feel guilty about taking breaks and not studying as hard.

i agree with kalel... i would also add that if you're going to be in a group, try to keep the # of gunners low - they sometimes tend to stress you out with some of their arcane knowledge, as well as sometimes take airs of superiority. that said, you might want at least one, as they are often the easiest way to find the answers to a question you can't quite articulate...

my $.02
-tim

I never really studied in groups at all before getting a very small (3ppl) Boards study group together, and it's been great. We just picked a couple of afternoons to study alongside one another for ~4 hrs and then we go out for margaritas afterwards. I think I'm putting in a lot more time than I would otherwise. It's kind of like having a jogging partner gets you to exercise more often.

Plus you get to say things like "I can't. I have group," as if you're in Narcotics Anonymous.
:D