GS Sub-I VS research rotation w/ a pub

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

stronghold

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am MS3 student preparing for my 4th year. Which is better; GS Sub-I w/ a LOR or research rotation w/ a pub? someone may asks: "are you sure that will have a publication with just one month work?" Yes, I am sure about that when working on a review article or a retrospective study. Is a published work weighted higher than Sub-I w/ a LOR?

-I did not post in Allopathic forums since only matched people/ residents/ fellows/ PD who could answer my question.
 
You should have 3 LOR from surgeons, and at least one 4th year rotation in surgery. If you already have all those then you should do research instead of another subinternship rotation. Emphasis on 3 and surgeons.
 
Last edited:
You should have 3 LOR from surgeons, and at least one 4th year rotation in surgery. If you already have all those then you should do research instead of another subinternship rotation. Emphasis on 3 and surgeons.

@ filter07: thanks for reply. Does the LOR need to be from a surgeon in surgery rotation? Since the research rotation would be with a surgeon so I expect a LOR and a pub from research choice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am MS3 student preparing for my 4th year. Which is better; GS Sub-I w/ a LOR or research rotation w/ a pub? someone may asks: "are you sure that will have a publication with just one month work?" Yes, I am sure about that when working on a review article or a retrospective study. Is a published work weighted higher than Sub-I w/ a LOR?

-I did not post in Allopathic forums since only matched people/ residents/ fellows/ PD who could answer my question.


Doesn't matter. "Matched people/residents/fellows/PDs" can answer your question in the Medical Student forums. There are plenty of us (well, I guess not...since I'm not a matched person/resident/fellow/PD) who check those forums and answer questions there.
 
This past year, I did both a research rotation (with publication) as well as SubIs in neurosurgery. I think the SubIs and the LORs I got out of them served me better. Especially because it takes time for the publication process and I didnt end up getting the finished article until well into the interview season. That said, the research rotation - which was at an away institution - gave me a real boost when applying there. After my interview, the program director called me himself and asked me what it would take to get me there, so I guess I made a good impression. However, the strong LORs from the SubI were mentioned everywhere I interviewed.
 
Do the research and publication, it will serve you better in the long run.