Guatemala Medical Mission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RobbingReality

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am traveling to Guatemala for a medical mission trip and would like recommendations on the country (internet sites, books, personal experiences). If you have any personal experience please comment on the culture and customs.

Members don't see this ad.

As a Guatemalan physician I recommend you to be prepared for a couple of days of GI disturbance.
The best way to travel around is to have one of your local friends as a guide, he will know were and were not to go. The second best thing to do is to find a group of tourists (you will find a lots in the city of Antigua) a travel with them.
The lonely travel guide for central america have a fair description for the most popular sites to visit.

If you have more specific question send me an email, I will be glad to answer.

One last thing, don’t bring any expensive jewelry, sunglasses, or electronic devices. Traveler’s checks and credit cards are a good option instead of cash.

my partner is a physician from guate and i was just there for 4 months. i agree with the previous post, dont look too flashy as you can get the sunglasses stolen right off your face. other than that, go to Antigua there are a LOT of Americans there and there you can get set up with tours to other parts of the country. I rec Tikal, Flores, Lake Izabal (i was in El Estor), Escuintila, Antigua. And yeah, the stomach will have issues for a few days...lol..so i suggest having some pepto on hand but other than that enjoy guatemala, it's BEAUTIFUL!!! i wish i was back there :oops:(