1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Gudi Padwa!

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by gpg, Mar 21, 2004.

1. gpg

gpg Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Gudi Padwyachya saglyana shubheccha.......thats wish all of you Happy Gudi Padwa.....thats the start of the hindu new year........

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. starwars

starwars Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey nutan varshachya sarvana shubhecha....
    Happy Gudipadwa
    Happy Ugadi....:)

4. ketu229

ketu229 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Navin Varsha chya subheccha................

Happy New Year

5. mrinalini

mrinalini bAbYRoAcH
    7+ Year Member

Happy Gudi Padwa

Goud goud ghya ani goud goud bola....

:D

6. Henna

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

How did your exam go ?

7. mrinalini

mrinalini bAbYRoAcH
    7+ Year Member

:( dont ask... my basic science was terrible ...but the evening medicine paper was much better.
    There are no released papers for the IQE so none of us knew what to expect....I basically regurgitated what I knew, I hope thats sufficient to pass.
    I still have three vivas to go through next tuesday. I dont think my life can get any worse, and to add to my sorrows I have my MFDS part A on the monday after that. I'm blabbering...I need some Huggin and Lovin and truckload of luck.:( , I'm going to find my huggin and lovin;) .
    Best of luck with your part2 :)

8. Henna

Just hang in there, few more days of misery and you'll be free.

Until you find your hugging and loving here' s some to keep you going

{{{{{{{{nalini }}}}}}}}}}

Feel better ??

:thumbup: Good Luck !

9. mrinalini

mrinalini bAbYRoAcH
    7+ Year Member

Aww shucks thanx:)
    ...meggs has rechristened me nalini :) I guess now you also have. My name is a tongue twister :D

10. Meggs

7+ Year Member

Buena suerte nalini, y no te apures que tu vas a pasar!.

Meggs

11. ToTaLLy_TaSha

ToTaLLy_TaSha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Ditto, Nalini!!!! :D

12. sam3

sam3 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Happy Gudi Padwa everyone.Just a small Question ??Is this the same as Ugadi!???

13. mrinalini

mrinalini bAbYRoAcH
    7+ Year Member

Hi meggs, tasha and sam,

Thanx for the wishes :)

Sam read this article should give you some idea about new years celebration in India. My new years is called Vishu, its coming up in April, but since i was brought up in bombay I celebrated everything, since my friends were from all over India.

http://hinduism.about.com/library/weekly/aa041002b.htm

In addition to this Diwali is considered the gujarati new year, and in Bombay there is a large Parsi(persian) community, so I had a lot of parsi friends, their new year is called Navroze.
    Basically these are nice holidays, when eveyone has fun and gets yum food to eat :D

Cheers
    Mrinalini

14. ketu229

ketu229 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Sam

more about Gudi padwa

Gudi means a banner to raised to annouce victory and padwa is the first day of a lunar month. The Gudi is made at the entrance of homes in Maharashtra State in India and is reminiscent of the valient Marathas returning home from their sucessful conquering expeditions of war. The day is the Hindu new year. Being a very auspicious day, people start new ventures on this day. Hindus perform pooja and make and distribute sweets. It is believed that Brahma ( creator of the universe) created the world on this day and hence he is specially worshipped at this time.

15. Ann 03

Ann 03 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

happy gudi padwa to all.
    its really nice to learn abt indian mythology.
    my husband is frm bombay,guess wht he didnt even remember gudi padwa:D . i had to tell him after seeing this thread.:laugh:

hey nalini(its easier to write also..:) )
    all the best for ur exams. and vivas.i am sure u will do well.
    btw can u tell me in brief abt the procedure one has to go through in the uk to practice dentistry(i mean international dentists)
    just curious:)

16. Ann 03

Ann 03 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey wht does tht mean?

17. mrinalini

mrinalini bAbYRoAcH
    7+ Year Member

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by meggs
    Buena suerte nalini, y no te apures que tu vas a pasar!.

Meggs
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey wht does tht mean?

Ann, that means "Good luck Nalini, and do not worry you are going to pass!" (Meggs i hope i am correct!)

Now about the UK, In order to practice as a dentist in the UK, you have to be registered with the General Dental Council (GDC). The GDC grants registration to foreign trained dentists by conducting an Exam called International Qualifying Examination (IQE). It is made of 3 parts and you have to pass each part before writing the next part.

Part A has 2 papers, one on basic science (NDB Part 1 portion) and human medicine. It also has 3 vivas on basic sciences, human medicine and clinical dentistry. Part B is a practical exam with 3 to 4 clinical procedures on a phantom head. Part C is a clinical dentistry theory paper and clinical examination on patients (paedo case included).

Once you pass all three parts you will be granted full registration and you are considered equivalent to a UK trained Dentist. That was the whole process in brief. Each part has a waiting list as the number seats for the exam is limited and is given on first come first served basis. In practice it takes about 18 months to 2 years to complete all three parts.

If anyone wants more information I will put it up on the International Forum (Europe).

18. Ann 03

Ann 03 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey thanks nalini. tht was real nice of you,it sounds equally tough.
    good luck to you.
    so u r planning to settle down in uk? i thought u were going to migrate to the US. i have 3 of my friends in UK.
    i think they r also going through the same process. can u start working as an assistant whn u r still in the process of giving the exams?
    btw, if your new yr is vishu ,u must be a mal.:D am i right:)

19. sam3

sam3 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

:confused: If you Indians do not know who is F/M ,how am I supposed 2 know?

Ann....... She is a femal .

20. Henna

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Sam,

By mal she meant malayali, they are a native of a place called Kerala where they speak malayalam. (you can read malayalam both backwards and forwards and it'll mean the same, noticed that ?? )

21. sam3

sam3 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: that was a good one:laugh: .

22. mrinalini

mrinalini bAbYRoAcH
    7+ Year Member

Sam we malayali's have this typical accent, thats always made fun of. I'm writing a few jokes, but you would probably appreciate it more if you have met a typical malayali, but lot of the indian folks will have good laugh.

Why did the Malayali not go to ko-liage today?
    He is very bissi.
    Why did the Malayali buy an air-ticket?
    To go to Thuubai, zimbly to meet his ungle in Gelff.
    Why do Malayalis go to the Gelff?
    To yearn meney.
    Why did the Malayali go to the concert in Rome?
    Because he wanted to hear pope music
    What does a Malayali use to commute to office everyday?
    An Oto
    Where does he pray?
    Temble
    :) to all the malayalis out there pliss don maind!!am zimbly jawking :D

23. ToTaLLy_TaSha

ToTaLLy_TaSha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As a fellow Fe-mal :)laugh: ) in the Gelff... I found the jawks SIMBLY hilarious. Im glad you were not too bissi to share those with us, M. :p Pliss post some more.

Tasha :D

24. mrinalini

mrinalini bAbYRoAcH
    7+ Year Member

Ann, you cannot touch a patient without registration with the GDC. In rare cases, you can get temporary registration, without passing the IQE, if you get a clinical assistantship, or a Senior house officers post. However these posts are very limited and nowadays, its almost impossible to get. So most foreign dentists have to go through the grind of passing the IQE, before being able to work. A lot of the foreign dentists work as dental nurses, or just observe under a local dentists.
    Your friends are probably taking the IQE like me.:)

25. mrinalini

mrinalini bAbYRoAcH
    7+ Year Member

by pope-ular dimand, Aiyam gowing to post wun more Jawk.

Why is industrial productivity in Kerela very low?

Because workers spend 85% of their time untying, folding and retying their lungis.

wokay, Aiyam riyally riyally bissi so aiyam gowing to bery myzelf in my bukke

Ta tya:laugh:

26. tweety

tweety Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey mrinalini
    I just cant explain what a laugh i had :laugh: . One of my very good friend is a mallu. I was learinig a few words that's why all those prononciation are really familiar to me.
    you great to have put THE WORDS WITH PERFECT SPELLING
    do post more if you have

:laugh:
    tweety

27. Ann 03

Ann 03 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

:laugh: :D mrinal,tasha, good ones
    sorry sam for confusing you:D i knew she is a femal mal;) :D oh you poor man, whn u think u have learnt enough abt indians more pops up. confusing isnt it

28. sam3

sam3 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well ...........mrinalini & all my dear malayali friends ;

Actully I read your post several times and I draw you in my mind telling these jokes .I really wished if I could meet you in person to hear you telling me these jokes :laugh: . After some practice I decided to tell you this real story .

(PLEASE NO HARD FEELING WHEN YOU READ THIS. I RESPECT ALL RACES ,THIS IS JUST A PRACTICE OF MY TRUE VISIT TO INDIA LONG TIME AGO & I HOPE I AM NOT OFFENDING ANYONE HERE)................

Guys !!!!,The REASSSON why I enjoied the company of many Indians in this forum is the following :

Although I never encountered or ZEEN any Indian in my home country Syria ,but AIYAM very familiar with you GUYSS .......ZIMPLY BECOSS I lived FOR 14 YEARSS in the GELFF .When I WASS 2 YEARSS old,my dad went there to YEARN money .........not in THUUBAI,but in Saudi where my UNGLE used to work .

WUN more REASSON, is that I MYZELF visited India when I was 9 years old & I stayed there for two monthes,I RIYALLY liked India sooooooooo much .In the first days of this visit, I thought that India is gonna be like what I used to watch in movies when I was a kid. I mean, I thought that the moment the plane's door opens, I will see this group of chicks dressed in flying colored indian costumes & they will start dancing on the airport floor ZIMBLY COSS I arrived .......................(DON blame me guys ,many Indian movies gave me this impression ).

When this did not happen,I asked my mom......"where are they:( :( :( ???? ".It was hard for her to convince me that things in movies DON allways exist the same in real world .I visited several places ;Bombay,New delhee,Keshmeer(my mom bugged my dad like a bee & did not let him leave Keshmeer without buying her a carpet ) .She also bought a blue Indian costume to wear .

We went to Taj-Mahal(..........and the same story with my mom ,she did not leave the spot unless my dad get her an embossed solid of it ) .We also visited many nice TEMBLES & I was astonished with the architecture .I liked the old OTOS there ,but what surprised me the most is that it was POPE-ULAR that many of them turned their engines off whenever we stopped at traffic lights .When we asked the taxi driver about it ,he told us that it WASS to economize the gas .

WOKAY......that was not a JAWK rather than a true story . AIYAM very BISSI now & I have to go to bed in order to start with my BUKKES (manuals) tomorrow.I have been trying to start reading for a week now ,but this SDN is depriving me everything...... :laugh:

29. mrinalini

mrinalini bAbYRoAcH
    7+ Year Member

You are a natural mallu Sam :laugh:

30. BOGGU

BOGGU Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi folks,
    Reminds me of a friend who was a mallu, who told me this joke-
    "How does a malayalee spell moon?
    YEM....VO.....YYYEETTTT......ANNNODHUUR.......VOA......ANDU.....YENU!:) "

I CAN STILL VISUALISE MY FRIENDS FACE AS IT DISTORTED IN ALL ANGLES & BELIEVE ME ITS BEEN SO LONG NOE BUT STILL BRINGS BACK THE SAME SMILE TO HEAR IT ALL "VOVERRR" AGAINu:)r

31. Ann 03

Ann 03 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

u really r sam:laugh: :laugh: