Guidance for Problem Based Learning Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GAMING4FUNN

Reaction score
For any student who is familiar with the PBL curriculum could you please provide some useful links or perhaps anecdotal experiences describing how you succeeded in PBL. I am starting at LECOM-Bradenton this July and would like some useful tips for myself and other students who might be in the same position.

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

I go to LECOM-Erie.

As a current M4 applying to IM and looking back, PBL is pretty darn student-friendly. You set the terms of how you study. I can't give any anecdotal since you have to honestly feel it out your first few months. I did not find my groove until spring of first year, and even then, I was also adjusting different resources etc. My point being is that you will have more free time than your peers at other DO schools and I think succeeding in a PBL curriculum requires intense and dedicated time management skills.

Good Luck and Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Some students who struggle initially with PBL have trouble getting organized. We offer tutors and even upperclass mentors to assist in the transition. Any school who uses this curriculum is quite experienced with assisting students making the transition. You should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Grad from LECOM-B here (2016)!

Probably the most important aspect of success in PBL is your efficiency of studying. I struggled at first as I was putting in a lot of time looking at the material, but I did not have a great structure to digest and re-review what I was seeing. PBL is amazing as it lets every individual study how they would prefer, but you should try to have a good idea of what works best for you going in.

For me, just reading a chapter over and over and over was useless. I was the type of person that needed multiple sources on the same topics so I could add variety and interest into what I was doing. Flashcards, Q-Banks, Videos, Review books, and the material are all options. And once you think you know a chapter...find a way to quiz yourself! Talk to your close friends, use a Q-bank, do anything to expose where you are strong and where you aren't.

Finally, realize that you have already made it into the 0.1% of people that grew up wanting to become a medical professional. It is ok to be in the middle of your class. It is even ok to be in the bottom 1/3rd. Don't be hard on yourself, and if you feel you are falling behind ASK FOR HELP!