Guidance Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jfLip

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the deal... I'm a Psychology major with a concentration in pre-dentistry going into my third year of college. Time has flown by much, much faster than I expected and I am feeling way behind. My GPA is below 2.5; I've retaken classes and didn't do much better second time around, and overall I just feel like time has crept up on me and I can't do much about the past. My study habits definitely aren't the most effective, and I have just let distractions get in the way of my priorities.

I know if I put my best effort into it, I know I can do what needs to be done and succeed. I am asking for advice/guidance on my next step, for it is critical. I talked to a recently accepted dental student at VCU and analyzed some numbers and statistics of the accepted class for me. Basically, his word of advice was that I switch my major to dental-hygiene, do well, and then apply to dental school. By doing this, he said it should allow me to get my GPA up (as the pre-reqs for dental hygiene are "easier" than those for pre-dent) and also provide me a career already in case I decide not to follow through with dentistry. He said it would allow me to present myself as a stronger candidate as a hygienist as opposed to an undergraduate with a low GPA.

It sounded like a plan of direction for me, but I would also like to get further advice/opinions. Any help or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

BTW, great forum! The "below 3.0 GPA" thread gave me some inspiration :)

Members don't see this ad.

As a student in a dental hygiene program, i would advice you not to transfer. It "might" be true that you have a stronger application, although I doubt it. Just finish your bachelors and go on to do a master's of some sort. It takes a lot of money to do a dental hygiene program and the courses are not that easy either.

So here's the deal... I'm a Psychology major with a concentration in pre-dentistry going into my third year of college. Time has flown by much, much faster than I expected and I am feeling way behind. My GPA is below 2.5; I've retaken classes and didn't do much better second time around, and overall I just feel like time has crept up on me and I can't do much about the past. My study habits definitely aren't the most effective, and I have just let distractions get in the way of my priorities.

I know if I put my best effort into it, I know I can do what needs to be done and succeed. I am asking for advice/guidance on my next step, for it is critical. I talked to a recently accepted dental student at VCU and analyzed some numbers and statistics of the accepted class for me. Basically, his word of advice was that I switch my major to dental-hygiene, do well, and then apply to dental school. By doing this, he said it should allow me to get my GPA up (as the pre-reqs for dental hygiene are "easier" than those for pre-dent) and also provide me a career already in case I decide not to follow through with dentistry. He said it would allow me to present myself as a stronger candidate as a hygienist as opposed to an undergraduate with a low GPA.

It sounded like a plan of direction for me, but I would also like to get further advice/opinions. Any help or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

BTW, great forum! The "below 3.0 GPA" thread gave me some inspiration :)

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but it is unlikely with a 2.5 GPA that you would even be able to transfer into a hygiene program. I don't think that is the right move in any case. They want to know you can handle part 1 of the boards as well... and that is ALL hard medical science. If you are struggling with psych, I'd truly try to buckle down and see if you can handle 3 science courses at the same time to bring up that sGPA and to make sure you will be able to handle 5-6 hard science courses in ONE semester in dental school. Hard science = way to go. Hygiene won't prove much about your scientific ability (of course they also need science). I think the ave. to be accepted to hygiene at VCU this year was a 3.4 in your first 2 yrs. It is a tough program to gain acceptance to. Not as difficult as dental, but still very difficult.

I'd bring that GPA WAY up any way you can... if you are in VA, you will likely need around a 3.3 minimally... do a post bacc. If you can't bring it up that much (at least the sciences) then do a masters and CRUSH IT! Your MS GPA won't count as much as your undergrad GPA though. You have a LONG road ahead of you... I just don't think DH is the way to go unless you WANT to be a DH.

And these days... VERY FEW sub-3.0s get into dental school, though I'm sure many sub-3.0s would make fine dentists.