Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

guidance on match

Discussion in 'Neurosurgery' started by javy2299, Jul 23, 2006.

1. javy2299

javy2299 New Member

Non-Student
    hello everybody. i am a medical graduate with aspiratoins 2 join NS residency in 2007. i found this forum very useful. i wil b very happy if someone could post answers 2 my queries.

can anyone provide a list of programs that constantly have been IMG friendl n another list of programs that never ve taken any IMG?

is it possible 2 upgrade to H1B visa even if the program offers only a J1?

how many programs should i appply inorder 2 get a handful of interviews if i ve a good step 1 score?

can physical appearance become a negative point in interviews?

is observership a useful US clinical experience 2 show in interviews?

thank you.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Of course personal appearance can be a negative in interviews. You must look professional: neat haircut, new suit, shiny shoes, etc.

I don't think there are any programs that have been "constantly" IMG friendly. IMG's are taken when they are superior to their american counterparts. You should have some U.S. clinical experience with letters of recommendation.

A handful of interviews may not be enough for an IMG without a visa...you may need a truckload so I would apply to a lot of programs...40+.

Also, you might want to try writing with full words, proper capitlization and appropriate punctuation. Otherwise, your queries may not be taken seriously.

4. javy2299

javy2299 New Member

Non-Student
    thank you

5. javy2299

javy2299 New Member

Non-Student
    Dear MPP,
    I would be very happy if you can tell me the programs that i shouldnt apply being a FMG. Means the programs where i would ve no chance of getting into and applying would be a mere waste, such as John Hopkins. It would be nice if you can provide me with such a list. thank you.