Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveJones

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have a few questions for anyone that can help me. bust first let me give you a little background on myself!

I am 25 years old U.S. Marine stationed overseas. I am currently in the process of finishing my Bachelors in Psyc and working on my Med prerequisites from the University of New England. From my understand by me doing a lot of my science courses online limits me from applying to a lot on MD schools but it does not hurt me when it comes to applying to DO schools is this right? Also seeing as though we do not have any premed advisors over here I would like to know what can I do for EC's to make me a more competitive applicant. I plan on being apart of at least two medical mission trips, volunteering with the RedCross as a medical assistant, volunteering with the RedCross as an ER tech, and shadowing a couple of MD's and DO physicians. Can anyone give me guidance on anything I am currently going based off of what I find on google!

Current GPA- 3.56 sGPA 3.88

Members don't see this ad.

First off, many thanks for your service to our country. Semper Fi!!

You'll need to check with each DO school you're interested in as to if they accept online coursework. Mine does, as long as it's given by an accredited university. MSAR Online tells which MD schools accept online work.

Your EC plans are solid.

Good luck!

I just have a few questions for anyone that can help me. bust first let me give you a little background on myself!

I am 25 years old U.S. Marine stationed overseas. I am currently in the process of finishing my Bachelors in Psyc and working on my Med prerequisites from the University of New England. From my understand by me doing a lot of my science courses online limits me from applying to a lot on MD schools but it does not hurt me when it comes to applying to DO schools is this right? Also seeing as though we do not have any premed advisors over here I would like to know what can I do for EC's to make me a more competitive applicant. I plan on being apart of at least two medical mission trips, volunteering with the RedCross as a medical assistant, volunteering with the RedCross as an ER tech, and shadowing a couple of MD's and DO physicians. Can anyone give me guidance on anything I am currently going based off of what I find on google!

Current GPA- 3.56 sGPA 3.88

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure how you chain is, but mine allowed me an opportunity to shadow our BS for an hour or two a week which helped. I also stayed late with our BS when we weren't in the field for mentoring and seeing a lot of the background mechanics that he didn't have time for during the day. I also worked in with our corpsmen whenever I could (classes, lectures, CLS, BLS, ALS, etc). Once I was established with our BS and docs I was able to assist with the patients on medical mission trips instead of being on perimeter duty or manning initial entry point.

Would also look at doing some additional non-clinical volunteering for Jesuit schools or more community/mission focused schools if you are interested in those.