Guilt Factor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatorRomp

PharmD Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For months I embellished my application to pharmacy schools. During the interviews, I did what an applicant is expected to do: I sold myself. Well, literally ;). Anyways, I made the case for admissions. My motivation to be a pharmacist on paper must have radiated through my final interview (as it did prior ones) that I just received the big certified envelope from NOVA!

I GOT INTO NOVA PHARMACY SCHOOL! :)

Yet, for all this hoopla, I must decline this acceptance. NOVA was a top choice early on for many reasons. However, not having to put a $1k deposit down is welcoming given my acceptance to UF.

• PBA: 1st school to grant me admissions. I like what they try to do with the program but I don't see myself fitting in at all. And 30k made it easy to decline.
  • LECOM BRADENTON: granted me an interview and I was ranked very high on the alternate list (probably lack of pharmacy experience) but I didn't see a fit. Thus I declined.
  • NOVA, a dear top choice but 1k must come out of my pocket and other factors contributed to my decision to decline.
  • University of Florida: what can I say? NO deposit, you are accepted on your academic strengths and the school is TOP 10 in the nation with an emphasis in clinical education and research.
These schools gave me hope for a pharmacy career. However, I believe the best school won me over. That completes my journey to the application cycle for this year and I am heading to UF college of pharmacy! Someone out there will get my seat; I hope it's someone on these forums. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations! But why the guilt factor? You did exactly what you were supposed to do and what every other applicant does on their applications. Good luck!

Congratulations! But why the guilt factor? You did exactly what you were supposed to do and what every other applicant does on their applications. Good luck!

Um, no. Not every applicant makes stuff up about themselves to look better. I haven't and I will not, because I'm an honest person and not a cheater.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless I'm not understanding the OP, he said nothing about lying on his application profile. Selling oneself is highlighting one's positive attributes and exemplifying confidence in one's abilities. It's like marketing - it is possible to sell yourself with complete honesty.

Unless I'm not understanding the OP, he said nothing about lying on his application profile. Selling oneself is highlighting one's positive attributes and exemplifying confidence in one's abilities. It's like marketing - it is possible to sell yourself with complete honesty.

Reread the first sentence. Pretty sure that amounts to making details up.

Reread the first sentence. Pretty sure that amounts to making details up.
It does not take months to make up stuff on your app.

I think the "embellishment" the OP is talking about refers to his/her jumping through the right hoops just to look good to the admissions committee.

EDIT: But only the OP knows his/her original meaning. All we're doing is putting words in the OP's mouth.

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with a little "embellishing". ;)

Haha I thought you were gonna get way more torn up than this! And the title of the thread is GUILT FACTOR I'm thinking the op meant they did lie on the app... If you did embellish and they find out even three years later (which I have heard of!) you can kiss those three years goodbye! Anyways good luck and enjoy the warmth in Florida.

For months I embellished my application to pharmacy schools.

Carboxide, if this does not convince you, then I don't know what will. Please read critically... you might learn something.

Thank you! Well, it was kind of awkward to have to decline my very first acceptance. They were oh so nice during the interviews. They were of course, selling their program as well. Again, guilt here is not in the strict sense of the word. Rather, it was a way of showing appreciation for giving me an opportunity that I must now decline.

It does not take months to make up stuff on your app.

I think the "embellishment" the OP is talking about refers to his/her jumping through the right hoops just to look good to the admissions committee.

Your assessment are in fact correct. Carboxide, I clearly stated that it took months to polish my application. Including retaking the higher physics (calculus based and aced it after the wake-up call) after I received a C for general physics (I posted this last week, and the message is the same). When I volunteered; when I, with much glee, penned my personal statement given my enthusiasm; when I kept my grades very competitive and the list goes on. Are these things one can really do in one day???

At times, like some students deciding on a career, I grew disenchanted with the profession based on par on bickering among individuals, future professionals whom I'd have hoped would be more well... professional. There were other things too. Anyways, I've long decided that I want to be a clinician and researcher. I have some real issues about retail pharmacy and like those pursuing a residency, I hate it so much what the profession have become in retail (see my link above). Sure people may fabricate stories. Who cares? The fact is, I care about the future of my profession and greed is ruining an important area of pharmacy: RETAIL. We need folks like Above Liquid Ice, Passions4Science, PharmDapp87, extra07extra who communicate well and seem genuine about the career. On these forums, the future of pharmacy is IN DEEP TROUBLE. So, fabrication?

Carboxide, if this does not convince you, then I don't know what will. Please read critically... you might learn something.

Thank you! Well, it was kind of awkward to have to decline my very first acceptance. They were oh so nice during the interviews. They were of course, selling their program as well. Again, guilt here is not in the strict sense of the word. Rather, it was a way of showing appreciation for giving me an opportunity that I must now decline.

Your assessment are in fact correct. Carboxide, I clearly stated that it took months to polish my application. Including retaking the higher physics (calculus based and aced it after the wake-up call) after I received a C for general physics (I posted this last week, and the message is the same). When I volunteered; when I, with much glee, penned my personal statement given my enthusiasm; when I kept my grades very competitive and the list goes on. Are these things one can really do in one day???

At times, like some students deciding on a career, I grew disenchanted with the profession based on par on bickering among individuals, future professionals whom I'd have hoped would be more well... professional. There were other things too. Anyways, I've long decided that I want to be a clinician and researcher. I have some real issues about retail pharmacy and like those pursuing a residency, I hate it so much what the profession have become in retail (see my link above). Sure people may fabricate stories. Who cares? The fact is, I care about the future of my profession and greed is ruining an important area of pharmacy: RETAIL. We need folks like Above Liquid Ice, Passions4Science, PharmDapp87, extra07extra who communicate well and seem genuine about the career. On these forums, the future of pharmacy is IN DEEP TROUBLE. So, fabrication?

Sorry, I took "embellishing" to mean "making stuff up" or "exaggerating". I know there are certainly people that will do stuff like put "active member of pre-pharmacy club" when they showed up one time and put their name down on the roster, etc. I would have called THAT embellishing.

Congratulations on the acceptances and your hard work :)

Sorry, I took "embellishing" to mean "making stuff up" or "exaggerating". I know there are certainly people that will do stuff like put "active member of pre-pharmacy club" when they showed up one time and put their name down on the roster, etc. I would have called THAT embellishing.

Congratulations on the acceptances and your hard work :)

Yeah thats what I thought especially with the guilt factor thing... Anyways good luck. Lol I'll be hating you during the Minnesota winters :)

i don't understand the issue here.....where's the guilt?

In college, I loved to debate and especially loved to defend arguments on their merits. And so, some of my friends thought I'd go to law school. I realize the prosaic nature of the post given the title. Here, very briefly I explain it this way:

If you were a beggar, and a middle class person handed you some money, I imagine you'd be appreciative. Some time later you are faced with two opportunities: Middle class person wants help fixing something at home but for not too much pay.

Richer person needs help too with better pay (which you need) and perhaps, with long term business deal. It appears, you'd pick second scenario based on the fact that its opportunities yield a greater return. But somehow, you wonder a bit about scenario 1.

Why is this taboo point even a continuum of the prior posts... I've no idea (especially given the schools reject so many). :smuggrin:

Again, guilt was loosely used but alas...

Yeah thats what I thought especially with the guilt factor thing... Anyways good luck. Lol I'll be hating you during the Minnesota winters :)

I can see why embellish was confusing. But, "for months", in my opinion gave it away. Perhaps, the word perfected would have nipped the subsequent confusions in the bud. Peace yo!

Good Luck at UF in the fall. This was a beautiful post and well written. I love when people show their intelligence on SDN. You will do the profession proud. :thumbup:

Good Luck at UF in the fall. This was a beautiful post and well written. I love when people show their intelligence on SDN. You will do the profession proud. :thumbup:

Thank you so much for your comment. Interestingly, another SDNer told me the same in a private post. Here, on SDN I can use my time to bash other professions, other people and so on... or I can use it to do something meaningful. As you can see, I chose to do the latter. Thank you much!

Thank you so much for your comment. Interestingly, another SDNer told me the same in a private post. Here, on SDN I can use my time to bash other professions, other people and so on... or I can use it to do something meaningful. As you can see, I chose to do the latter. Thank you much!

That's what we all should do. How often do you see a brand new member post a question that we've all had a million times only to have someone post nothing but "Try doing a search first!"

I point out the search function when I see this, too, but then I go ahead and answer the question anyway. These folks didn't come here to be scolded; they actually want to know the answer to their question. And they probably didn't know about the search.

Anyway, SDN was a great help to me while I was applying and I want to give back now that I'm accepted.

Selling yourself isn't wrong; would you rather put yourself down through the interview process? I think it is kind of hard to go through the application process without making yourself sound like the perfect applicant. I believe that as long as you didn't lie in your application like your experience, the "guilt" may very well be "motivation" that will keep you going over the next four years.

Seriously, I think you'll do fine. I hope you enjoy UF. :)