gum irritation with opalescence whitening

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marshall

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm using the Opalescence 20% PF with KNO3 whitening. I put the stuff in last night and let it work for like 4-5 hours (sleep is for the weak). I had significant sensitivity. If I tough it out is there any damage being done (meaning, is the sensitivity alerting my nimble brain that something is wrong)? I know whitening products are safe, etc but is the sensitivity hurting anything?

Secondly, I think I got some gel on my gums and it was there all night. The gums proceeded to get really ugly (black/purple w/ slight bleeding). I had perfect gums before that and it was really only near the interproximal margins. It worried me a bit... should I be? I looked on the ultradent website and they show a picture of some tainted gums but mine look a bit worse than that. I'm leaving town while I'm supposed to finish the treatment but I wonder if I should discontinue if the gums get worse (duh, is that a stupid question)? I'm eternally paranoid about gums receding and giving me increased sensitivity or root exposure.

Cheers,
Marshall

Members don't see this ad.

These are both very common (and harmless) side effects. Skip a couple of days before you use the rest of the bleach and you'll be fine.

Same happened to me. Try doing only 30-60 min intervals a day or less if too sensitive. Whitens the teeth pretty good.