Gunner Attendings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kgizzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my first taste of true gunner behavior recently. Didn't know grown people could be so petty. I'm sure gunners don't outgrow their ways. So what do gunner residents and attending do/look like?

Members don't see this ad.

Gunning for what?

Reactions: 1 users
There’s a difference between being a gunner and just being an a$$hole.

I really don’t see why an attending would feel the need to “gun” you

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably for academic promotion, you could be an attending gunner. Not everyone's gonna get that professor title.
Publish a million things and don't involve your competition in the department to get ahead of the game?
Work longer hours/do more cases?
Network and kiss a**?

I think it gets harder to 'gun' people as you go along. Eventually you are judged by what you can actually do and how well you can do it, not by how you compare in terms of potential to other students.

If anything, the people who work well with others tend to do better -- publish more, do better work, etc. There are definitely people out there who will steal your research ideas, but that's why you don't share them with just anyone and you work hard and get it done asap. Medicine and research at the highest levels are very much team sports. Notice there aren't many single author papers in JAMA or NEJM! No, gotta be able to play well with others if you're going to truly get ahead. Maybe you could blackball people quietly behind the scenes, especially people who might be competition for some position you want, but you would run a huge risk of making yourself look worse in the process.

Maybe it's because past a certain point, it ceases to be a zero sum game. It's not like my successes have any impact on my colleagues ability to succeed and vice versa.

Reactions: 2 users
I got my first taste of true gunner behavior recently. Didn't know grown people could be so petty. I'm sure gunners don't outgrow their ways. So what do gunner residents and attending do/look like?

Why don’t you tell us? Your post contained no details whatsoever.

There’s a difference between being a gunner and just being an a$$hole.

I really don’t see why an attending would feel the need to “gun” you
No, it was a fellow student. Not going into detail but it's sad to see someone try to bring people down to raise themselves up, if that makes sense. I was just wondering if this journey took that gunner spirit away after a while or if it persisted into full attending status.

Reactions: 1 user
I think this kind of behavior more or less gets beaten out of you in training.

Time in the day is a zero sum game. Doing a lot of "extra" almost isn't worth the pay you get to do it. And if it also cuts into sleep and/or time you'd spend doing something you really want to, salt into that wound.

Reactions: 1 user