Guys need your help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tyerat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys! I am currently doing my undergraduate in Chemistry. I am interested in applying to some carib medical schools mainly the top 4 and maybe some more there. My problem is I got an F on my one of my courses which was due to some personal problems in my life which i am releculant to discuss to the committe. Although Do u guys think saying that is good enough or would they want me to add detail to the issue. Please let me know what you guys think. THanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Your only choice is to retake it and get an A. You do not have to explain exactly what the problem may be, but you need to categorize it (i.e. family, personal, etc)

Your only choice is to retake it and get an A. You do not have to explain exactly what the problem may be, but you need to categorize it (i.e. family, personal, etc)

If you did not retake, then retake and do not worry about one F, that should be ok, Caribbean is not that hard to get into but you need a GPA better then 3.0 most of the time.

The committee will ask about the F and you must disclose why, if you try to cover it up they will sense that and dishonesty, then reject you. Life is not fair.

( thing is all of us have personal issues, all of us, Deaths, Illness, divorce, Birth ect ect..... Fact is you need to learn to handle this along with what you have to do, MD's are real people with real lives and this happens, are we are not supposed to let personal life screw with our professional, if thats the case then you need to do something else that allows that!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Guys! I am currently doing my undergraduate in Chemistry. I am interested in applying to some carib medical schools mainly the top 4 and maybe some more there. My problem is I got an F on my one of my courses which was due to some personal problems in my life which i am releculant to discuss to the committe. Although Do u guys think saying that is good enough or would they want me to add detail to the issue. Please let me know what you guys think. THanks.

Retake the course, get a good grade (preferably an A), and then apply. If the committee asks you about the F, do not go into detailed explanations of whatever personal problems you might have had. Instead, emphasize how you have learned from that experience and how it has made you more mature.
As a side note, many of us deal with personal problems as we go through med school. There are students who go through med school having experienced divorce, pregnancy, or severe illness. In med school, it is imperative that you do not let those problems interfere with your work. Learn to seek help whenever those problems crop up.

Just to clarify, you can explain that you had personal problems, but that you have learned how to handle them to the point that they do not interfere with your work.

Just to clarify, you can explain that you had personal problems, but that you have learned how to handle them to the point that they do not interfere with your work.
Yes this is a good solution, I did not mean to say to tell very personal things just that not to avoid this, this looks like you embraced the problems and succeeded despite them and that is positive.

Retake course + take more courses, get A's in all aforementioned courses, apply to US school.

THANKS for your replies guys! Really appreciate your replies.