GW Interviewees and those familiar with DC area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bounty

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I just scheduled a GW interview on November 14th at 10:15 and I need to get a flight to Boston afterwards. Unfortunately, most of the flights are soooooo expensive right now. I managed to find one leaving Baltimore at 5:15.
For those of you who have interviewed at GW, when were you done?
And for those of you familiar with Dc area, would i be able to take a shuttle to BWI and make my flight on time (assuming I am done at GW at approx 2:30?)

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

the tour was the last thing on the docket. what you could do is maybe show up early, look at everything you want to see (the hospital, the gym, the library and lecture halls), and bolt a little early. We were done closer to 2 pm I think, but I was there when the protestors showed up :D

You can do it. I had a 5:30 flight out of BWI after GW. You may need to skip the tour (they did an early one the day I was there). You can take a shuttle to the airport, but it's likely to be stuck in traffic at that time in the afternoon. They also pick you up around 1:30 for a 5:15 flight because they have to get so many other people from the DC area.

I took the metro all the way out to the end of the line toward maryland and then there is a bus/shuttle that takes you to the airport. It took a total of 45-50 minutes and cost me less than $6. A shuttle will cost you $30-60. The people at GW can tell you exactly which metro to get on and how much it costs. Good luck...the students at GW seem extremely happy and laid back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest calling Darrell and letting him know that you need to set things up so that you can leave early to catch your flight. The interviews all take place in the library and are back-to-back, so he shouldn't have that difficult of a time hooking you up as long as he knows ahead of time. Make sure it is him that you talk to though, a girl had a similar situation when I interviewed and she had spoken with someone else, therefore her schedule wasn't at all accommodated until that day.

You can consider taking AMTRAK if you want to save money. It is right off the metro, and GW is super close to the metro. Plus if you get an unreserved ticket on AMTRAK, you can get on any unreserved train. It may take longer, but I bet not by much once you factor in the trip to the airport and getting there early for your plane and things like that. Plus there is more space on AMTRAK. There are some airlines with really low prices, but they are not always that reliable and fly out of bwi (which is like an hour from GW)

Good luck!!! PM me if you have any other q's

Here's the best (and cheapest way to do it). If you are under 25 yrs. of age you can take the U.S. Airways shuttle using a student discount. It's MUCH cheaper than taking the trainer- and faster. The only catch is that you need to fly between 10 a.m.- 2 p.m. or after 8 p.m. You can fly right out of National Airport, which is 15-20 min. from GW- and is a direct catch via the metro.

If you call the admission office way beforehand (speak with Darrel), I'm sure that he will accomodate you

Originally posted by phinicky
Here's the best (and cheapest way to do it). If you are under 25 yrs. of age you can take the U.S. Airways shuttle using a student discount. It's MUCH cheaper than taking the trainer- and faster. The only catch is that you need to fly between 10 a.m.- 2 p.m. or after 8 p.m. You can fly right out of National Airport, which is 15-20 min. from GW- and is a direct catch via the metro.

If you call the admission office way beforehand (speak with Darrel), I'm sure that he will accomodate you

If this is the GoYouth fare, unless they changed the age, you have to be 22 or younger. Please note that this fare is only for USAirways Shuttle flights to and from NY and Boston.

I think that there is also one for people under 25

hey dudes
Thanks for all your advice. I talked to Darrell and he helped me out with timing and stuff. I managed to get a super cheap one way ticket on airtran. The US Air ones were just too much, discount or no discount.

as a previous poster mentioned, it's possible to use amtrak to get to boston. for those who are thinking about traveling by train, u could get there by using the red subway to get to mentro center, then transfer trains to get gwu. total cost is $1.10 from union station.

format of program is that you'll meet up in a meeting room at 10am, they'll talk until 11:40am, u have a boxed lunch, and your first interview will likely start at 12:05 in one of the cubicles at the school's library.

i'd avise to NOT ask about usmle/matching at gw. when someone in our group asked about how the school prepared its students for usmle and the outcome, the presenter seemed pretty annoyed at the question. basically, gw students get around the mean on usmle. although arbitrary, around 75% of students match into their top 3 schools. also, they didn't seem receptive to questions on the status of your application. the presenter bluntly said: "DON'T CALL US 4 WEEKS AFTER YOUR INTERVIEW, NOT 5, NOT 6, NOT 7, NOT 8 WEEKS. IT SHOULD BE ABOUT 10 WEEKS BEFORE YOU HEAR FROM US. If you don't hear by february, call me". i didn't particularly like the tone of some of the responses. however, i thought the students were really friendly and the 2 interviews (closed file w/ one faculty member and one student) gave a good view of the school. the program ends around 2:30ish and the tour afterwards is optional.