GW secondary and Acrobat format

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lisichka

certified demonologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

This is one you have to print out and send in right? I remember doing a few of the pdf applications.

You can just print it out and attach a picture and sign it once it is printed. Let me know if that is the case. I don't remember emailing any pdf files as applications.

Yes, unless they are asking for it to be returned via email, you should just enter all of the requested info, print out, and then staple a picture and sign it. Last year my hurdle with the GW secondary was getting it to stop printing out in funky symbols.

Members don't see this ad :)
did you guys get a secondary email today? I'm verified, but didn't get anything from GW yet.

I'm not verified yet, I just submitted yesterday and am still waiting for review, but I got the GW secondary email about an hour ago...

have ppl been recieving secondaries already? I just realized my emails been messed up and i hope no schools were trying to reach me.

I spoke too soon. I got GW email like 10 seconds later. :laugh:

their instructions say you can't submit electronically:

* Please note that your secondary application cannot be submitted electronically or by fax, as we require an original signature .

* Once your application is filled out and signed, please print out (2) copies - (1) for your records and (1) to mail (along with your online payment confirmation - see below)

It's a PDF, so anything you enter can't be saved unless you have Adobe Acrobat Professional.

p.s. the secondary has a typo: "Submission of there to five individual letters" :p

are you guys cutting a pasting essays into the pdf before printing? (i'm having weird glitches pasting sample text from Word)

this is probably a stupid question, but it doesn't seem to allow me to fill in my lab courses. It doesn't switch to the text entry when I go to the boxes... is anyone else having the same problem, and is there a way to change it so you can enter the text there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey that makes me kinda nervous, how come I didn't get the GW secondary yet if I'm under review right now but other people who still need to be verified got it? I don't have any type of filter set up on my email so does anyone know if they send out secondaries in batches by last name or something?

Confused as well. Got a secondary from GW and USUHS today but my AMCAS is not even verified yet!!

well anyways, for those of you who have gotten the gw secondary, are the questions the same as last year?

well anyways, for those of you who have gotten the gw secondary, are the questions the same as last year?

This is the only non-biographical question:

What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Please restrict your answer to ten lines.

Confused as well. Got a secondary from GW and USUHS today but my AMCAS is not even verified yet!!

GW doesn't screen. Since you already clicked submit, they automatically sent you a secondary. Doesn't matter whether you're verified.

So, I can't seem to enter text into the PDF for GW Secondary. Do you need the Pro version? Is there a trial version? Can you get it off Limewire? Is there a way around this? I have a new MacBook.
Thanks....

Why do so many people apply to GW?

This is the only non-biographical question:

What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Please restrict your answer to ten lines.

I am not sure exactly what opportunities they are talking about. Anyone know?

Looking at the only essay-type question they gave us, I've got a question.

I know people may not want to reveal their answers per se, but I'm curious as to what people are writing as to why they like GW. I was going to write about DC being a diverse location, specific research opportunities, etc. But after looking over it, it seems kind of trite, nothing really stands out.

I know we are supposed to be honest, and I'm just wondering if anyone is approaching these sorts of questions differently than I am. Thanks.

I know people may not want to reveal their answers per se, but I'm curious as to what people are writing as to why they like GW. I was going to write about DC being a diverse location, specific research opportunities, etc. But after looking over it, it seems kind of trite, nothing really stands out.

I know we are supposed to be honest, and I'm just wondering if anyone is approaching these sorts of questions differently than I am. Thanks.

Just be honest. You can only say so many things about any place or school until you've heard everything. If you are interested in the international focus, the diverse culture, and the opportunities of being in a place like DC in a school like GW, then write about it. Honesty may seem a bit boring to us, because applicants want to impress their schools by being unique. Honesty is unique...and if you were an admissions officer, would you rather read something genuine but maybe slightly trite or something outlandish but full of BS?

I have a question about the course work.

Which courses do we put in the course work section.
For example it says Biology 6hrs.

Well I took many biology courses.
Do I put the first bio courses I took at my university? Do I put the bio courses I did the best in?

My question is are they looking for specific courses or do I get to choose the course as long as it is in that department.

I have to admit that the writing style of their admissions website is a bit clunky and unimpressive. They way they phrase things makes it sound like they're "striving" to be a internationally recognized institution, rather than "being" one already, which may be the case.

I have a question about the course work.

Which courses do we put in the course work section.
For example it says Biology 6hrs.

Well I took many biology courses.
Do I put the first bio courses I took at my university? Do I put the bio courses I did the best in?

My question is are they looking for specific courses or do I get to choose the course as long as it is in that department.

I believe they're looking for the courses that meet their prerequisites. For example, in the Biology section, I just entered "Biology I" and "Biology II" and used the third box for "Genetics". Anything in that third box is icing on the cake, unless your other two courses don't give six credits.

-z

Has anyone tried submitting payment yet? It asks for a login that GWU didn't provide in my e-mail invitation. *sniff*

login can be ur email and password is ur AMCAS #

BUT after you go to the next page, there is some kind of server error. i've contacted GW, and they said they will resolve it soon.
does anyone have the same problem? i thought i was the only one for a while :(

Hm, I tried my e-mail and AMCAS ID. Weird.

yay, it accepted my payment. i used this same exact link an hour ago and it didn't work, b/c it had an credit account info line missing. soooo strange....

Hey, they're going to move fast when $125 per applicant is on the line! :rolleyes:

Then they can afford to matriculate a larger class! :hardy:
Hell yes! Every school should do it then. Don't forget what 10,000 people will do for tourism ;) (not that everone get's interviewed haha)

So GW... screens Post-Secondary right? Damn... 10,000 apps last year and we don't know how many we interviewed...

So GW... screens Post-Secondary right? Damn... 10,000 apps last year and we don't know how many we interviewed...

If this upward trend continues, my guess is they'll interview ~1500-2000 people this year. Now that's a lot!!

Well if your one of the 2000 people... I would guess you have about a 1 in 20 chance of getting accepted.

Well if your one of the 2000 people... I would guess you have about a 1 in 20 chance of getting accepted.

They will accept about 500 people total. So it's 1/20 chance before the interview. If you have an interview, your chances are 1/4.

hi guys,
someone asked earlier about entering in the lab courses--i'm also having trouble with that. it seems that when i put my mouse there the cursor doesn't appear (in the shaded areas for the lab courses).

do you think it'd be okay to fill in everything in the pdf file on the computer and then fill in the lab courses by hand? or has somebody figured out how to make it work?

thanks in advance :)

cruz

According to MSAR and USNews statistics:
GWU interviews approximately 1,100 of their 11,000 applicants.
They accept about 300 for the 177 available seats (this is from a few years ago, so it might be slightly higher). About 50 of those acceptances are BA/MD, EDP, etc.

They accept a lot more than 300. Three years ago, they took 400/7000 applicants. Do you really think they accept 300/11,000 today? I doubt it.

They accept a lot more than 300. Three years ago, they took 400/7000 applicants. Do you really think they accept 300/11,000 today? I doubt it.

They are not going to accept more just because more applied. It has to do more with how many of the people they accept they think will actually attend. Perhaps they accept more when they feel like they are more people's backup...

They are not going to accept more just because more applied. It has to do more with how many of the people they accept they think will actually attend. Perhaps they accept more when they feel like they are more people's backup...

When every school in the US has increased pools of applicants and many people are applying more broadly, there is much more unpredictability in who will end up where. Schools on a rolling system will have to accept more if they wish to aim for the top candidates. You're only right on the condition that GW doesn't care about improving the quality of the their matriculants, but rather prefer those who really want to go there (or don't have a choice but to go there). I think most schools want to have the strongest class possible, and they can only do that by accepting more.