GW wound care elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plank

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone out there done or heard about the George Washington wound care elective? I start Monday. I don't really know what it's about, but what the hell? It sounds pretty cool. Let me know if anyone has any experience with this elective or the GW ER, so I can be prepared.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

docB said:
GW is using a new computer documentation system called IBEX. Good luck with that.

We use IBEX over at Illinois Masonic. Christ Hospital also uses IBEX. It is not bad for documentation, but we definitely seem to have trouble getting a computer to document on. It's good for your sicker patients when you want to document, but a pain in the arse for your fast track patients. It takes so much longer to type than to write a quick hand note on them. Personally, I am a bigger fan of EMSTAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
plank said:
Has anyone out there done or heard about the George Washington wound care elective? I start Monday. I don't really know what it's about, but what the hell? It sounds pretty cool. Let me know if anyone has any experience with this elective or the GW ER, so I can be prepared.

Thanks

Hopefully not decub rounds on the inpatients....
Good luck

I did it a few years ago and had a good time. I was going into FM and knew I wanted more opportunities to learn suturing skills, since as an MS-III I was on a surgical team where the attendings didn't think the third year RESIDENTS had sufficient practice at suturing :p

I did lots of suturing, I&D, foreign body puncture wounds, splinting. It was mostly fast-track stuff. Dunno if the curriculum is still the same but it was fun. Definitely go for some of the weekend overnight shifts, you'll see lots of cool stuff. You'll get pulled into the traumas once they're stabilized to sew up their 100-suture head lacerations and such like. When I was there, we worked mostly with the PAs which was fine with me. If we were on fast track with the doc we tended to get pulled into ordinary fast-track stuff like the mother-baby sore throat: "Do you have a doctor for your baby?" "Well, yeah, but since we're both sick I figured it would be quicker to just come here." :rolleyes:

You won't be taking care of inpatient decubs, don't worry - although we did get a presentation on hyperbaric as a treatment modality for that stuff.

I agree with the above. Haven't done it, but talked to tons of people who have. The best shifts are weekend nights.

Thanks, everyone. Sounds like good stuff. I was having nightmares about having to look at tons of diabetic feet for a month. As delicious as that sounds, I can only have so much of a good thing.