GWU stats??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SuckAtVerbal

Hey guys, I'm a trad from NY, and I was contemplating applying to GWU for next fall...according to USNews, the MCAT average is pretty low, does that mean it's easier to get into GW? It seems like a good school, I don't see why it would have such low stats, I was hoping some of you who applied in this past cycle could let me know what your experiences with GWU have been...getting in with bad stats/good stats/ not getting in, etc. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would start at http://www.mdapplicants.com/ and do a search for GWU and look at the average MCAT/GPA there, just to start giving you an idea. You could also see if people with low stats had amazing ECs, which is something you can't do on USNews! Remember that anything on MDapps is likely to be above the actual norm.

Everyone and their mother applies to GW. And they interview pretty much everyone on the spectrum. I interviewed there this year and was amazed at the facility, environment, and the people I met there....but got waitlisted. I have a friend who's a student interviewer who said that there are so many people that apply there that it's hard to say who's doing what right to get an interview and an admission ticket. If your stats are around the average, I'd say your best bet is just to apply early to give yourself the best advantage. I was complete in September and my interview was in January. Good luck on your app cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
i think for our class the stats were 30 MCAT and about 3.6 overall GPA and 3.5 science GPA. i think one thing that gets overlooked is that, despite our class size being just under 180, there are something like 60 spots that have already gone to BA/MD, early admission programs, and linkages from a bunch of different post-baccs. i think admissions interviews about 1,000 out of close to 13,000 applicants. unfortunately, i think the key to gaining admission remains a big mystery. thinking back to our white coat ceremony, at least, i remember that most people in our class had been very active in volunteerism and/or medical work. obviously that kind of stuff is important at all med schools, but i think it might be even more important at gw. anyway, best of luck, guys.

Hey guys, I'm a trad from NY, and I was contemplating applying to GWU for next fall...according to USNews, the MCAT average is pretty low, does that mean it's easier to get into GW? It seems like a good school, I don't see why it would have such low stats, I was hoping some of you who applied in this past cycle could let me know what your experiences with GWU have been...getting in with bad stats/good stats/ not getting in, etc. Thanks!

Everyone and their mother applies to GW...

...i think admissions interviews about 1,000 out of close to 13,000 applicants...

Yep, my rejection after being put on pre-interview hold said they had 13,000 applications. So in response to your question, SuckAtVerbal, I'd be kinda proud that they picked ME out of 13,000 people to fill one of only 120 spots (like medstylee said, ~60 = BA/MD, early decision, etc). They probably look for something specific in people's application. Since medstylee is a student there, he/she is probably right about the volunteerism, etc. He'd know better than all of us...

Yeah it has one of the lowest percentages of acceptance out of all the medical schools. Because SOOO many people apply.

I applied this past year - got an early interview and an early acceptance. Medstylee could be right - I did a ton of volunteer work in free clinics and its one of my passions - so maybe thats something they are looking for.

thanks guys, i don't have much volunteerism, just a lot of shadowing, i guess i'll try my luck with that!