GWU vs MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BruinCat86

Hi all,

I have an interview in mid February for GWU.

However, I'm debating on whether or not I should cancel it now since I have been accepted at schools such as MCW, Stony Brook and waiting on California schools (interviewed at 2).

What are your impressions of GWU?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

GWU is good. You should interview there. DC and GWU offer unique oppurtunites.

I am still hoping for an invite.

GW and DC do offer great opportunities that could only be offered in a city like dc and its a good school. but mcw's facilities are newer, their 2007 residency match is AMAZING, they are much higher in NIH rankings, and its located in the milwaukee medical district.

Members don't see this ad :)
id rather go to GW, i hate milwaukee!!!

I believe MCW has slightly higher rankings and more NIH dollars. So if you care about research, go there. If you care about public health/health care policy, I would imagine George Washington is better (DC has its perks). In terms of costs, Milwaukee is much cheaper to live in than DC and I believe MCW tuition is a bit lower. Socially, Milwaukee is actually surprisingly good (there are actually more things to do in/around Milwaukee than you would think). But I'm certain DC would offer more that way. It really depends on what you're looking at when it comes to making a decision such as this.

I'm accepted at both schools and, although I'm leaning towards MCW, I am having a hard time deciding because I keep reconsidering.

My impression is that MCW has a more prestigious reputation among medical schools, and a better match list. Not really too concerned about $, although its a factor. DC is a great city, but other than the freezing cold, I thought Milwaukee was a pretty cool place to be as well.

If I don't get any more acceptances, this is going to be a tough decision

Just to add a bit to this thread, I have been to Milwaukee many times and I lived in the D.C. area for a while. The Milwaukee area, in my opinion, is quite a bit better. I like the whole laid back atmosphere that seems to seep into every aspect of this town. The Brewers are fun to check out at MillerPark as a way to take a load off and the city itself is full of fun little pubs and microbreweries. Chicago is about an hour and a half to two hours south if you want a quick little vacation and the atmosphere of a HUGE city as opposed to a large city. While I liked D.C. too, the atmosphere and life there is on a faster pace. Also, I think that MCW is considerably better than George Washington. It is more prestigious and the students at MCW seem to love it. And at under thirty thousand a year is the cheapest private school I know of. Just my two cents :)

Just to add a bit to this thread, I have been to Milwaukee many times and I lived in the D.C. area for a while. The Milwaukee area, in my opinion, is quite a bit better. I like the whole back atmosphere that seems to seep into every aspect of this town. The Brewers are fun to check out at MillerPark as a way to take a load off and the city itself is full of fun little pubs and microbreweries. Chicago is about an hour and a half to two hours south if you want a quick little vacation and the atmosphere of a HUGE city as opposed to a large city. While I liked D.C. too, the atmosphere and life there is on a faster pace. Also, I think that MCW is considerably better than George Washington. It is more prestigious and the students at MCW seem to love it. And at under thirty thousand a year is the cheapest private school I know of. Just my two cents :)

Actually, I'm pretty sure tuition at MCW is roughly 37k, which is still considerably lower than GW's ~42k

Thanks for the input.

I was getting my information from SDN which states the following:

School Information:
Founding Year: 1893
Enrollment: 204
Application Fee: $60
Out of State Tuition: $28,053
Instate Tuition: $28,053

I saw another estimate from, If I recall correctly, U.S. world and News that listed the tuition at $27, 000 and some change.

what are some strong aspects of MCW's curriculum/opportunities outside of the classroom???

I've heard that MCW is really good research institution, whereas GW is more clinically focused. I do know that GW has a crapload of class time though. And it's really expensive.

what are some strong aspects of MCW's curriculum/opportunities outside of the classroom???

If there's a specialty/career in medicine, there's quite possibly an active student organization for you to learn more about it and get connected with faculty in that area early in med school. Pretty active orgs.

There are several community/volunteer programs including outreach education, free clinics.

Active and well organized intramural sports.

Very supportive and helpful upperclassmen.

Noncompetitive atmosphere.

Larger student body = more people to get to know. but the size is not a detriment.

Several hospitals in very near distance to provide variable experiences during rotations

And once you're inside the MCW building, you don't have to go outside again in the cold to get to Children's Hospital or Froedtert Hospital.

Lots of great faculty, especially clinical preceptors during clerkship years.

Lectures are recorded, so if you hate sitting in lecture you can listen to them on the computer or on your iPod or whatever at 3am if that floats your boat.

And, I don't know how unique this is to med schools anymore, but we do have "Stan" the life-sized full body mannequin that can do everything from go into V-fib and have a pneumothorax to cry and urinate. I intubated him yesterday and then he went into v-tach under anesthesia.

Watch his pupils react to the light:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn_kXsj4_zw[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Splat, but Stan is way creepy. During the anesthesia thing, that was just weird.

The only problem is that on snowy days like today, they make you leave, so you have to drive home. I think I would've rather've stayed at the hospital, but then, I'm on surgery, so I'm only home to sleep.

There's opporunities to make your own 4th year rotation. I plan on doing derm at a friend's office at home, and I also plan on going to London for anesthesia.

That's all. I'm tired.

I agree with Splat, but Stan is way creepy. During the anesthesia thing, that was just weird.

The only problem is that on snowy days like today, they make you leave, so you have to drive home. I think I would've rather've stayed at the hospital, but then, I'm on surgery, so I'm only home to sleep.

There's opporunities to make your own 4th year rotation. I plan on doing derm at a friend's office at home, and I also plan on going to London for anesthesia.

That's all. I'm tired.

What? No school on snowy days????? Really!?!?

GW and DC do offer great opportunities that could only be offered in a city like dc and its a good school. but mcw's facilities are newer, their 2007 residency match is AMAZING, they are much higher in NIH rankings, and its located in the milwaukee medical district.

Do you have a link to this said match list?

the tuition for mcw is 29K. but it says in their financial aid packet to take out 37K for outside living expenses. hope that clears everything up. gw is pretty damn expensive

the tuition for mcw is 29K. but it says in their financial aid packet to take out 37K for outside living expenses. hope that clears everything up. gw is pretty damn expensive

when did the tuition go down to 29K and when was the total with living expenses go down to 37K? I guess that memo didn't get to the financial aid office before they billed me for tuition!

can you forward that link to the MCW financial aid office and tell them they overcharged me for tuition this year?

But in all seriousness it's like 39K for non-residents and about 5K less for WI residents (those #'s are off the top of my head, cuz i honestly just glance at my bill so i don't cry at how much money i just took out in loans). And the in state tuition break is not through the school, it is through a grant the state government gives WI residents (at least i think that's the source, but i usually don't question the source of free money)

Actually, I'm pretty sure tuition at MCW is roughly 37k, which is still considerably lower than GW's ~42k

Thanks for the input.
For this current school year, it's about $35,500 for OOS, and $5K less for in-staters like me. Don't forget, you can get a two bedroom apartment here right next to the school for $700 a month with heat included. $700 in DC will get you a closet. A decent place in DC will be $1500+ for a one bedroom in a lot of areas.

THE OFFICIAL 2008-2009 TUITION as per our administration's recent e-mail: for M3s-to-be like me, it will be $35,920, with a $5,540 credit for WI residents. It should be a very similar cost for the M1s.

What? No!

In general, there is school on snowy days. I was saying that we have to LEAVE the hospital at the end of the day when it's snowing a lot and the roads are not plowed. It'd be so much easier if I could just stay over night at the hospital.

Classes are RARELY canceled for snow. It never happened for me. I drove to school in blizzards (seriously).

They rescheduled an M1 exam a few weeks ago because of 12-18" of heavy snow. I wouldn't have even been able to get out of my alley. City buses were canceled.

What? No!

In general, there is school on snowy days. I was saying that we have to LEAVE the hospital at the end of the day when it's snowing a lot and the roads are not plowed. It'd be so much easier if I could just stay over night at the hospital.

Classes are RARELY canceled for snow. It never happened for me. I drove to school in blizzards (seriously).
Would 4wd and snow tires be a good idea for milwaukee?

Would 4wd and snow tires be a good idea for milwaukee?

4wd, oh yes..yes yes yes...yes....

I can't tell you how many cars I've had to help out of snowbanks, but I can tell you that none of those stuck cars had 4wd.

Snow tires will help but they're not necessary.

There will be some days where a hummer could get as much traction as a hot wheels car, on those days you just have to skip the driving and settle down with some hot cocoa. :p