GWU vs NYMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SS01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts? Cost of attendance is nearly the same...having a tough time with this. I'm from New York so location of NYMC is slightly more appealing- but not much..since the GW vibe is way closer to the city atmosphere that I am used to. Ahh!

Members don't see this ad.

I am also deciding between these two schools, with BU thrown in the mix. The pull for NYMC is that it is so close to the city and you can rotate in Manhattan during year 3 and 4. However, I absolutely loved GW during my interview day and I got a much better vibe from the students and the program. I really liked the emphasis on global and community health at GW and the opportunities for research, travel, community work, etc are out of this world. Also, since I'm really thinking about peds, I liked the fact that GW is affiliated with a great children's hospital. I just didn't love NYMC and I didn't get that "gut" feeling on my interview day. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, it just comes down to what you feel is the best fit.

How does BU compare to the two for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
How does BU compare to the two for you?

Right now, it's coming down to GW and BU. I really love both programs and the clinical experience is great at both. The opportunity for community involvement is also fantastic at both schools. This is going to be a really hard choice! Anyone else making the same decision?

GW is a great school and the experience would probably be legit but the pricetag associated with it is kind of mind boggling to me :scared:
DC is a great location but I don't know if the clinical experience you would gain at the GW hospital would be as great as at say BU. DC and Boston are both great cities but I guess in the end it is a tough decision to make, but a decision that you are lucky to have! :D

GW is a great school and the experience would probably be legit but the pricetag associated with it is kind of mind boggling to me :scared:
DC is a great location but I don't know if the clinical experience you would gain at the GW hospital would be as great as at say BU. DC and Boston are both great cities but I guess in the end it is a tough decision to make, but a decision that you are lucky to have! :D

Yeah the price of GW is a little insane, but it is similar to NYMC's price..so cost aside, I'm wondering which is better..I definitely did get a better vibe from GW...never thought I'd willingly choose an out of state school over a NY school!!!

Yeah the price of GW is a little insane, but it is similar to NYMC's price..so cost aside, I'm wondering which is better..I definitely did get a better vibe from GW...never thought I'd willingly choose an out of state school over a NY school!!!

I feel exactly the same way. I love NY and want to go back more than anything, but I was really wowed by GW. It just seemed like a better fit for me than NYMC. They both are great schools, so I don't think you can go wrong. Still doesn't help the decision making process though!

I live in the DC area and also got into GW...but if I got into BU i would go there in a heartbeat. I love Boston!

Of course if i get into my state school i'd go there over anywhere else.
UVM is a close 2nd...that school was amazing.
Any school in boston or Chicago would be 3rd with GW being 4th.
This is purely based on location/cost. Not saying anything negative about any school.

I was in the same predicament, personlly I'd go with gwu between these schools, students seemed way happier there. If you look around enough on sdn, NYMC is considered to be the last choice for all of the students that go there. Also, my girlfriend that goes there absolutely hates it there, Valhalla apparently closes at 8 and there is never anything to do. She said that the students are really weird or miserable. idk tho, everyone makes their own experience. Btw the school is having a ton of financial issues right now and are not sure about their future. Pm me if u want me to ask my girlfriend n e questions.

I was in the same predicament, personlly I'd go with gwu between these schools, students seemed way happier there. If you look around enough on sdn, NYMC is considered to be the last choice for all of the students that go there. Also, my girlfriend that goes there absolutely hates it there, Valhalla apparently closes at 8 and there is never anything to do. She said that the students are really weird or miserable. idk tho, everyone makes their own experience. Btw the school is having a ton of financial issues right now and are not sure about their future. Pm me if u want me to ask my girlfriend n e questions.

NYMC 2nd yr here- not weird or miserable! I actually think we are happier and more normal than most med students(as I sit here enjoying a glass of wine with my roommate, wondering who your gf is- prob a weird one who never socializes...) Bc we live close to one another we do a lot together outside of school- we have bar nights every month, ski trips, wine tastings, we have a flag football league, softball league etc. Valhalla does close at 8.... but White plains (10min away) has tons of bars and restaurants- and NYC is a 30 min train ride away! Also I chose NYMC over SLU bc I wanted to live in NY (im moving to the city in july for 3rd yr rotations) and I know many other students who CHOSE NYMC over other med schools.... NYMC matches well and has above average board scores. Of course there are aspects of the school I don't like, but what school doesn't have its weaknesses....Not regretting my decision to be here at all but at the end of the day you need to go where you think you will be happier- but don't let people who aren't even student's dissuade you..... pm me if you have any ?'s !

Sorry bud but I'm going to have to agree with CObuffs here...I have found that most students, much to my surprise when I first got here, are down to earth, fun to be around and social people. I don't mean this is an offensive way at all but maybe your GF just isn't being social? Thats unimportant though, the fact that what she told you is that valhalla shuts down at 8 shows that she clearly has no idea how to enjoy herself up here. White Plains and NYC are both very close and relatively cheap to get to so I don't see how Valhalla shutting down early (especially bc there are no bars and hardly any good restaurants in the town itself) has any importance in making a decision to go to the school.

On a separate note I'm tired of posters like you speaking negatively about a school you truly know nothing about. Yes I know your GF goes here, but honestly based on what shes told you it doesn't seem like shes got a clue whats going on either. It does have the reputation of being a safety school which I get, but that doesn't diminish the caliber of student we've got here. As CObuffs said, year after year we match well (check out the match lists) and students typically do a couple points better than average on the boards. Now in my opinion that is more single person oriented than the specific school you go to, but being that this is a yr after yr occurrence it leads me to believe we have above average caliber students attending NYMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.