tlt2796

7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi everyone,
I want to self-study in bio and chem to prepare studying in college. I'm a Vietnamese student, so I don't know which book I should study. I search in google and someone said about these books:
1. Barron's AP bio & chem
2. Princeton review bio & chem
3. Cliffs AP bio & chem
4...... many more ><
Please give me some suggestions, thanks very much! Please help me, I want to study right now :(:(:(

spearmint

7+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2009
CA
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi everyone,
I want to self-study in bio and chem to prepare studying in college. I'm a Vietnamese student, so I don't know which book I should study. I search in google and someone said about these books:
3. Cliffs AP bio & chem
4...... many more ><
Please give me some suggestions, thanks very much! Please help me, I want to study right now :(:(:(

It's good that you're taking your education seriously, but you're still young and will have plenty of time in college to study these subjects (trust me). Personally, if I were you I would enjoy the summer and do something fun. Do something outside the realm of science to make you a more well-rounded person. You don't want to look back on your youth and all you remember doing is having your nose stuck in some chemistry textbook. Life is too short and there's more to life than the Kreb's cycle and Wittig's reaction. You will learn all these stuff soon enough. Study then.

But if you insist on being a gunner, any of the Cliff's AP books would be fine.

OP
T

tlt2796

7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Status
Pre-Dental
thank for your suggestion. :)
Does anyone give me some suggestion about books? How about kaplan? Please give me more information please. thanks :)

Doc Smile

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Library
Status
Dental Student
Hi everyone,
3. Cliffs AP bio & chem
4...... many more ><
I disagree with the above poster. . . not about taking the summer off, but if i cannot convince you otherwise, I will give you sound advice, IMO, about study materials

Cliffs AP bio is a review book to help you recall and refesh your already learned bio class. Therefore, as a student having no previous experience in these college courses that these materials summarize, you will be lost and confused.

Do you know your professors email? or are your books available to buy online? Do you know an upperclassmen majoring in the sciences?

Buy the books you will be required to purchase for class and work your way through those.

Most universities require Campbells biology book. It is a long, tedious, captivating, and fun read. But will prepare you moreso than a book meant to review what you already know, which you dont yet.

Doc Smile

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Library
Status
Dental Student
And I speak from experience. I was ambitious like oy and bought an organic chemistry review book to try and get an edge before I took the class. needless to say it was a worthless effort becuase the book did not give enough examples and explanations to understand the material. but it worked great when i was reviewing it for the DAT.

OP
T

tlt2796

7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks Doc Smile, much helpful info. :) But these books are AP, I think they are suitable for high school student like me :confused:. And, can you tell me more about study to be a dentist ? :D Because I'll migrate to U.S. next 3 months, I want to prepare to keep studying in HS. Thanks for help. :)

Doc Smile

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Library
Status
Dental Student
Thanks Doc Smile, much helpful info. :) But these books are AP, I think they are suitable for high school student like me :confused:. And, can you tell me more about study to be a dentist ? :D Because I'll migrate to U.S. next 3 months, I want to prepare to keep studying in HS. Thanks for help. :)
Yes they are AP books, but they are to prepare for the AP exam . . . Hence review. Review books are not a good place to build a foundation of knowledge in the particular subject. If you have not taken the class, I think it will be a waste of time and money (especially because a newer fancier and brightly colored review book will probs be out by the time you are ready to study:laugh:).

OP
T

tlt2796

7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Status
Pre-Dental
Thank for your reply. But, you should know that in Vietnam, I study much more than in U.S. In the first time I read the Cliff's AP bio book, I was very surprised that everything in the book I have already studied. So, my question is: which books are best choice for reviewing my knowledge? Because I got many info from many dental students about many books, I just want to know which books I should buy. Thank you.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
Since no amount of reasoning is going to dissuade you then what you should do is go to the nearest university (not cc) and purchase whatever textbook they happen to be using for biology, chemistry and whatever other course(s) you may be interested in. What you need to work on is the fundamental knowledge of the sciences and not on reviewing whatever knowledge you believe you may have accumulated.

OP
T

tlt2796

7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks Dr. Toothache :). Could you give me some names of books that are suitable for me to study in high school? Because I'm Vietnamese student, I just want to self-study before going to U.S. Maybe, after got your suggestions, I'll search their ebooks in internet to read. Thank you.:)