H1B pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CetiAlphaFive

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
US Says Indian Students Arrested In Visa Scam Were "Aware Of Their Crime"

How rigorously did they vet all of the pharmacists that flooded in during 2003-2010?

I've met pharmacists that barely spoke English and seemingly knew less than some techs.

This, given that fake RPh in California make me wonder there any cases where a fake H1B was discovered?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
US Says Indian Students Arrested In Visa Scam Were "Aware Of Their Crime"

How rigorously did they vet all of the pharmacists that flooded in during 2003-2010?

I've met pharmacists that barely spoke English and seemingly knew less than some techs.

This, given that fake RPh in California make me wonder there any cases where a fake H1B was discovered?

Same. I was working with one that didn't even know what an ACE inhibitor was. I think the mentality was to just memorize everything at the time to get a barely passing score/ licensure but not really to understand anything.

The article you shared is about a fake University in the US, set up to lure underdogs, sounds similar? :thinking: like all these Pharm.D schools that popped up in the last decade.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I think you are talking about H1B Pharmacist that didn’t school in the US. Most of the H1B Pharmacist that schooled in the US don’t apply here

meh. Until you have an article about someone who set up a fake pharmacy and pretended to hire a bunch of fake pharmacists in order to get them H1B visas, I don't think there is really a story here that relates to H1B pharmacists. I could see some of the corporations looking the other way when the shortage was at its peak, and maybe not doing their due diligence to verify credentials. But at this point? H1B visas need to be renewed/extended after three years, and can only be extended for an additional three years (at which point the foreign worker needs to apply for a green card and the company needs to be willing to sponsor them for a green card, which is a much more arduous and rigorous process than a H1B visa application). It doesn't make any business sense for corporate pharmacies to keep dealing with H1B visas now-a-days when they have their pick of cheap new graduates, so even if there was some sketchy stuff going down 10-15 years ago, I would be surprised if it's still an issue today.

Probably many that will never get caught. During the shortage, I bet many employers skipped doing their due diligence on the those degrees obtained outside the U.S.

You'd think.
I know of at least one pharmacy in Austin where the owner has been arrested for DUI (more than once) and weapons charges.
He had a couple visa RPhs working for him and *his* green card was dependent on it as well.

Nothing happened after his pharmacy was shut down.

If he was in the US as a permanent resident (i.e. green card holder) and he got a DUI, he is well on his way to being deported anyway (if not, he must be exceptionally well connected or have lots of money to throw at lawyers). What do you mean by nothing happened after his pharmacy shutdown?

Reactions: 1 user
Much of that fraud is actually with the management consultant exception, who can use H1B visas. A software company (really, a national equivalent to GE) that starts with a T imported a bunch of pharmacists to work on pharmacy software technically on a chain payroll, but what had actually happened was that the immigrants involved paid for the privilege. That company managed to monetize delivering garbage software to some big, stupid client, and had the employees pay for the privilege to emigrate from their country to the USA.

Doesn't raise my hackles much, there's some really good H1B stories in IT and the fashion industry that are even more entertaining.

Reactions: 2 users
Much of that fraud is actually with the management consultant exception, who can use H1B visas. A software company (really, a national equivalent to GE) that starts with a T imported a bunch of pharmacists to work on pharmacy software technically on a chain payroll, but what had actually happened was that the immigrants involved paid for the privilege. That company managed to monetize delivering garbage software to some big, stupid client, and had the employees pay for the privilege to emigrate from their country to the USA.

Doesn't raise my hackles much, there's some really good H1B stories in IT and the fashion industry that are even more entertaining.

So much abuse with the H1B system...jfc

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in IT in late 90s and 2000's and Tata and Infosys bought the H1B industry. However, I will defer to giga on the healthcare abuse of H1B's because I haven't seen limited abuse in it.