H1B visa and COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PistolPete

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As a Canadian osteopathic soon to be graduate, if I match for an H1b at an allopathic residency program, is COMLEX I, IICE, IIPE and III enough to get licensed? I've also taken the USMLE 1 and IICK, but not IICS or III. Would the COMLEX series be enough to get the H1B visa since I am only legally required to finish the COMLEX series in order to practice medicine as a DO in the US?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

As a Canadian osteopathic soon to be graduate, if I match for an H1b at an allopathic residency program, is COMLEX I, IICE, IIPE and III enough to get licensed? I've also taken the USMLE 1 and IICK, but not IICS or III. Would the COMLEX series be enough to get the H1B visa since I am only legally required to finish the COMLEX series in order to practice medicine as a DO in the US?

I'm a US DO student, so I'll give you what we have to do to get licensed.

DO residency: need comlex 1, 2CE, 2 PE, 3

MD residency + DO internship: need comlex 1, 2CE, 2 PE, 3. Do not need any usmle's. DO's cannot be licensed without comlex, regardless if they took all usmle's, or what type of residency they do.

MD residency, no DO internship: need comlex 1, 2CE, 2 PE, 3. Do not need any usmle. But you cant be licensed in 4 states (they require DO internship) unless you file for resolution 42, which shows your MD intern year was "equivalent" to DO intern year (in most cases it is).

Canadian students: you should really contact AOA in your case. As far as I know, osteopaths in US vs other nations are different. Under US federal/local laws, an American DO is equivalent to MD. But I dont know if we recognize that for osteopaths graduating from other nations. As I said earlier, I am completely clueless about osteopaths from other countries. Your best bet is to contact the AOA.

Hi all,

please post know if you get a response from them! I'd love to know too! It's a lot of exams to sit through...

Even if the AOA say that they would sponsor H1B visas on paper, they may be very unfamiliar with the process itself. It may be helpful to find out how many H1B visas they've issued in the past.

The AOA doesnt sponsor visas, it has nothing to do with them, H1B visas are employer sponsored. You are required to pass exams eligible for licensure to get a H1B visa, whether you take the COMLEX or USMLEs is irrelevant, you just need to have passed all exams for licensure in order to get a H1B visa.

I am assuming the OP is a candian national at a US osteopathic medical school

The AOA doesnt sponsor visas, it has nothing to do with them, H1B visas are employer sponsored. You are required to pass exams eligible for licensure to get a H1B visa, whether you take the COMLEX or USMLEs is irrelevant, you just need to have passed all exams for licensure in order to get a H1B visa.

I am assuming the OP is a candian national at a US osteopathic medical school

There is a big difference between Canadian osteopath / a Canadian at an American DO school. OP should clarify. For "a Canadian at an American DO school" comlex series is enough for all visa purposes.

Yes, I am a Canadian citizen, at an osteopathic medical school in the United States, and matching to an allopathic residency without a DO intern year.

So my understanding is I just need to take COMLEX III to get licensed and use resolution 42 if I want licensure in the additional 4 states.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know!

Yes, I am a Canadian citizen, at an osteopathic medical school in the United States, and matching to an allopathic residency without a DO intern year.

So my understanding is I just need to take COMLEX III to get licensed and use resolution 42 if I want licensure in the additional 4 states.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know!

Hi PistolPete,

Also a Canadian DO here, were you able to confirm whether COMLEX series is sufficient for H1B visa sponsorship?

I looked at the source:
http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-13593/0-0-0-13813.html

(4) Physicians .

Physicians in the H-1B classification are limited to those described in section 212(j)(2) of the Act. A petition for an alien physician coming to the United States to teach or conduct research or both at or for a public or nonprofit private educational or research institution or agency, in which no patient care will be performed except that which is incidental to the physician's teaching and research may be adjudicated like a petition for an alien coming to perform services in a specialty occupation. If no patient care is involved, neither a license or authorization from the state needs to be submitted.

A petition for an alien physician involved in direct patient care must be accompanied by the following:

· An approved labor condition application;

· A license or other authorization required by the state of intended employment to practice medicine if the physician will perform direct patient care and the state requires the license or authorization;

· A full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a foreign state or evidence that the beneficiary has graduated from a medical school in the United States or in a foreign state;

· Evidence that the alien has passed the Federal Licensing Examination (FLEX) or an equivalent examination as determined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services unless the alien received his/her medical education in the United States; and

· Evidence that the alien has passed the English test given by the Educational Commission of Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) to establish competency in oral and written English language unless the alien has received his/her medical education in Canada or the United States.

Note 1:
The Secretary of Health and Human Services announced the physician licensing examinations which will be considered equivalent to the FLEX. Parts I, II, and III of the National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME), and Steps 1, 2, and 3 examinations of the new United States Medical Licensing Examinations (USMLE) program, have been recognized by the Secretary as equivalent to the FLEX.

Note 2:
Physicians who received their graduate medical training in Canada must take the FLEX, or its equivalent. Many times Canadian MD's can get reciprocal U.S. state licenses based upon their holding Canadian licenses to practice medicine. Even so, they must still take the FLEX to become eligible for H-1B classification if they intend to perform direct patient care. Furthermore, pursuant to a determination of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), the Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC) is not equivalent to the FLEX.

Basically, there's no mention of the COMLEX being equivalent to the FLEX anywhere on that page..

I take this to mean that the COMLEX is NOT equivalent to the USMLE for purposes of H1B sponsorship....

Any Canadian DO-school graduates get the h1b and want to comment? I'm getting nervous.. was told the COMLEX series would suffice since it's required for all DO's...

any info on this?

Hi PistolPete,

Also a Canadian DO here, were you able to confirm whether COMLEX series is sufficient for H1B visa sponsorship?

I looked at the source:
http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-13593/0-0-0-13813.html

Basically, there's no mention of the COMLEX being equivalent to the FLEX anywhere on that page..

I take this to mean that the COMLEX is NOT equivalent to the USMLE for purposes of H1B sponsorship....

FLEX things is for graduate from foreign medical school. But, now everybody except DO need USMLE for licensure.
For DO, all comlex series are required.
OP went to US medical school. so he only needs COMLEX.
So, he should contact residency programs to know whether they will need COMLEX III before residency or not. Its upto residency program to decide whether they will sponsor you or not.
OP should ask his own osteopathic medical school. they should be able to give more accurate answer or confirm what i have posted.

OP...dudehurry up

Just wanted to give people the good news... I finally got approved for my H1B visa today! Yay! And to be clear, I only submitted my COMLEX scores, Part I, IICK, IICE, and III, without USMLE, even though I also took USMLE Step 1 and 2 CK.

So it IS possible to get H1b visa as a DO with only COMLEX exams.

WOOHOO! =)

Pass it on to our DO Canadian brethren.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to give people the good news... I finally got approved for my H1B visa today! Yay! And to be clear, I only submitted my COMLEX scores, Part I, IICK, IICE, and III, without USMLE, even though I also took USMLE Step 1 and 2 CK.

So it IS possible to get H1b visa as a DO with only COMLEX exams.

WOOHOO! =)

Pass it on to our DO Canadian brethren.

Congrats! Where/what are you doing?

That's awesome to know!!

I also spoke with a Canadian DO grad from my school, who matched into an AOA sponsored residency with H1b visa for ER. She said that there is actually a dozen or so AOA programs that sponsor visas, but one would have to be very very proactive to dig them out. (She was okay with working in the US and not returning to Canada)

My conversation with her boiled down to contact each residency program DIRECTLY and don't trust anything unless they come from straight from the program director or the coordinator (in one instance, the secretary over the phone told her that they issue H1B visas, but when she applied and received an interview, she double checked with them about the visa issue, and they said they didn't offer). =S..so be VERY careful!
information on the FREIDA database can be wrong/incomplete - residencies that offer H1B may not be listed and those that are listed may not actually hand out visas. =S

If anyone wants to see the list of institutions she applied to, feel free to msg me (I'm going out of the country for 2 weeks, but would get back to you after that).

PistolPete, wouldn't you be on OPT technically...not H1b until the end of PGY-1?

Also, did you have a US SSN when you applied? If not, did that delay that application in any way?

Thanks!!

Yes, I am on OPT until the end of june, when my OPT expires, then the day after my H1b visa starts.

I already had a US social security number in undergrad since I did undergrad in the US on an F-1 visa, but if you plan on staying in the US for residency on OPT/H1b I would definitely get a US SSN, not because I can say if it would cause any delay or anything, but because it will make filing taxes much easier.

Re: above AOA programs and sponsoring visas, all programs I looked into did not sponsor any J1 or H1b visas, period. None of them had any experience with Canadian DO's, this may be changing very slowly, but I wouldn't count on this. Maybe ER is different, but at the moment most AOA hospitals will only take DO's with US perm residence or citizenship.

Bump.

Just wondering if anyone have any updated info, weblinks or any information regarding this topic.
I know that PistolPete said he received his H1B visa with only COMLEX scores. Has there been other people who have had success with this? If so, please let me know.
Btw, I am a Canadian citizen at a US osteopathic medical school needing an H1B visa for residency.

Thank you.