H2o

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjl1717

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of too much water being bad for you????

Members don't see this ad.

mjl1717 said:
Has anyone ever heard of too much water being bad for you????

get hyponatremic...brain edema among other things. I think it can occur when people drink hypotonic water very quickly while/after exercising, or when dehydrated from diarrhea. can probably happen to patients with psychogenic polydipsia too.

:rolleyes:
Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can get water intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolytes. Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolytes.

Members don't see this ad :)
mjl1717 said:
thx for the quick reply.......(although i didnt ask for treatment.)

Well its easy when you have Google, right? ;)

Big issue for the boards will potentially be the diff between psychogenic polydipsia, siADH, diabetes insipidus given all the variables (remember H20 deprivation, ADH stim, etc.)

Idiopathic said:
Well its easy when you have Google, right? ;)

Big issue for the boards will potentially be the diff between psychogenic polydipsia, siADH, diabetes insipidus given all the variables (remember H20 deprivation, ADH stim, etc.)

Thank you Idiopathic, just overheard some layman mentioning that too much H2O some how affected the liver in a negative way. {I know its probably a bad q, and I left myself open, shouldn't even listen to layman talking about water} but since H2O is so ubiquitous, essential and voluminous I just had to double check.