had enough of mice

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by Lucky Luciano, 09.26.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Lucky Luciano

Lucky Luciano 2+ Year Member

I'd like to know if there is any point in trying for USMLE / match.
    I graduated med school in Europe about 10 years ago. After one year of internship there, I came to US and did research. More precisely, I did brain imaging for two years and western blots on mice for most of the remainder. I had jobs in the hospital, but they weren't really patient-facing. For example, I did chart reviews for clinical studies. I am getting close to the end of a PhD in Molecular Medicine. I always worked at top 50 universities, and lately I minded my mice in the Top 1 university.
    I miss many things about proper clinic work: intellectual status, money, colleagues somewhat less mental. On top of it, NIH has limited opportunities for work on mice, so I'd rather get off the train before it's too late. Bloody postdocs will pretend they'd like to have a chat, only to ask 5 minutes later if I can lend them an antibody solution. Again, I am getting tired of the psychos around me.
    My MD boss wrote on others' LoR that he can't say anything about their clinical abilities, so that's going to be useless.
    My first question is: should I even bother with USMLE? I had quite a few exams during grad school, and I find them very easy. I just don't want to waste one year for studying and 3 yeas in residency, in order to get the family medicine license that I can get in Germany way sooner. I want to do oncology, and would really appreciate if I am not wasting 5 years before hearing it is not an option for me in US.
    My second question is about clinical research. This being Harvard, there's plenty of opportunities for clinical research coordinator jobs as long as I give up on eating. I guess I could even shoot for a CR associate position, and pay the rent. I took a billion classes and wrote a gazillion mock protocols, but never went for the real jobs, as my boss would deduct the pay from my stipend. Will a CRC /CRA job help me fill the year(s) between PhD graduation and USMLE pass, in a decent manner? Will it be seen as close enough to clinical work?
    I have no visa troubles.
    I suspect I'd have a good chance at US path. I get to do lots of immunostaining. I am not as keen though, but if you think onc is beyond my abilities, can you comment on my chances for path?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Instatewaiter

Instatewaiter But... there's a troponin 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Being at harvard will helps but being 10 years without clinical experience is going to be tough pill to swallow by most residency programs. Who cares if you can do research if you are so rusty that you are a danger to patients. I actually think you would have difficulty getting a reasonable IM position because of this gap. I am not saying it is not an option to stay in the US but I am saying that your options are probably going to be limited.

That you did a year of internship will help. I'd talk to some program directors where you are interested and see if they would even consider you.

4. Lucky Luciano

Lucky Luciano 2+ Year Member

What about clinical research? Judging by paycheck, coordinators are worthless, and their bosses (associates) are the sort that makes just above the threshold where PD's start to think you should carry on with that job. By education requirements, they are both too low for me, and that's again not good. Should I carry on bothering people with requests to be their coordinator? I'm still caught up with the mice, but I heard positive noise. (Well, who wouldn't like a doctor for a coordinator.)

Honestly, where I am "interested" is besides the point. I miss medicine so much, I'd go to the end of the country if they'll accept me.

5. NewCanadian

NewCanadian CdnNurse (ret.) 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Look into the one year clinical programs in the United States called
    "Transitional Year".

You can find these programs on the ACGME website www.acgme.org.
    http://www.acgme.org/ads/public/

These programs are useful because they provide an orientation to the medical system in the US.
    After that, you can try applying for residencies.
    I'm not saying this is The Answer; it is one suggestion.
    Good luck.

6. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Lifetime Donor SDN Chief Administrator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    hSDN
    Transitional years are very competitive as they are almost always filled with top notch candidates looking for an easy year before going into Derm, Rads etc. A Prelim year is much more accessible for most.

gyngyn likes this.
  7. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Lifetime Donor SDN Chief Administrator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    hSDN
    At any rate, I think the OP (if he's still reading) is going to have an exceedingly hard time matching. Many, if not most programs have date of graduation limits: 5 years is the most common. That means they won't take grads mor than 5 years out, certainly not without clinical experience.

I don't want to say it's impossible but the chances are very slim. If you'd be able to secure a position in Germany Id suggest that's a better route for you.

gyngyn likes this.

About the ads