had enough of "U-S-A", Practicing in Europe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PoorMD said:
I guess I am pretty tired of this civilization, I was hoping some other pockets of humanity, maybe even beyond europe and asia, still had some semblence of honor, and kindness and not just lustfulness and deceit and the thievery that is the US advertising industry.

Is it possible that I am just sick and tired of anatomy and the entire semester is a wash after just 3 weeks and I should drop out? DAMN this blows..
euchus? huh

(Coming from somebody that emigrated 3 times, and that also felt compelled to yap around a little bit). I know what you mean with how the media makes you want to throw up your liver, it certainly IS bad here (the media that is) but that can be solved by turning the TV off.
Also, the grass seems to be greener on the other side most of the times, but, sometimes it IS greener on the other side. I had to leave my country because it was/is basically falling apart in all aspects. If you decide to leave, think very well about what your reasons (which I feel are totally fine if they include politics) are, and what you've got to loose and what to gain. Be informed. And don't be surprised if you start disliking (to put it someway) the new country you'll be in :p And whatever choice you make, it will always (that's what I like to tell myself) be the best you could've made.
But then again, yes, you could be just tired of school and having a crappy semester, it happens. Remember, it could always be worse ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Praetorian said:
Personally I liked her husband but I don't think she's a good person because of her attitude and her voiced opinions. That's grounds enough for me to not like her. Do I have to have some specific reason to not like her? How about the fact that she's a militant cu.....uh, nevermind.....

That is my point.. even an educated person such as yourself makes a decision about her based on your gut about her perceived likability as opposed to how close her policy positions are to yours. Not a good way to select a leader. We end up with a leader like the one we have now - somebody fun to have beer with maybe, but not somebody we want in charge of anything.

Flopotomist said:
That is my point.. even an educated person such as yourself makes a decision about her based on your gut about her perceived likability as opposed to how close her policy positions are to yours. Not a good way to select a leader. We end up with a leader like the one we have now - somebody fun to have beer with maybe, but not somebody we want in charge of anything.

How about the gut feeling I have that she's very, very bad? My stepdad is a policeman and he heard through the Secret Service that she was nasty beyond belief. Inhuman nasty. I asked some Secret Service agents I was carrying and they wouldn't comment.

Vote how you want, but she's one of the only people who would make me wary of the direction our country would take.

Members don't see this ad :)
MoosePilot said:
How about the gut feeling I have that she's very, very bad? My stepdad is a policeman and he heard through the Secret Service that she was nasty beyond belief. Inhuman nasty. I asked some Secret Service agents I was carrying and they wouldn't comment.

Vote how you want, but she's one of the only people who would make me wary of the direction our country would take.

I just would hope that as future physicians we would make decisions based on rationality and evidence and not "gut feelings" and "I heard that she is nasty" and "her hair is funny."

For example, I disagree with the policies of our current President, but not because of who he is, or some gut feeling, but because of specific policy differences of opinion. I just hope voters will do their homework and make a decision based on who will make decisions closest to the decisions they agree with as opposed to who is friendliest to the secret service agents.

Flopotomist said:
I just would hope that as future physicians we would make decisions based on rationality and evidence and not "gut feelings" and "I heard that she is nasty" and "her hair is funny."

For example, I disagree with the policies of our current President, but not because of who he is, or some gut feeling, but because of specific policy differences of opinion. I just hope voters will do their homework and make a decision based on who will make decisions closest to the decisions they agree with as opposed to who is friendliest to the secret service agents.

Policy matters less to me than character. I can trust someone with good character to at least seek good policy. Someone who verbally abuses secret service agents in private and yet pretends to be friendly to everyone in public is dishonest. It showed me that she treats people below her as trash and guess what? I'll be one of her subordinates if she's elected (God forbid). That's exactly the sort of information I'm willing to base my vote on and I think a majority of the electorate can see through her deceptive attempts to seem likable and moderate.

I don't care how she has voted thus far. She's been openly, uh, hateful and vile and that is what I want think she would take to the office. Her intelligence and knowledge is overshadowed by her militant views, just like Bush's good ol' boy appeal (you're right, he's someone who would probably be nice to have a beer with) is hindered by the fact that he happens to have the IQ of your average budgie and the scrupples of TV evangelist.

Praetorian said:
I don't care how she has voted thus far. She's been openly, uh, hateful and vile and that is what I want think she would take to the office. Her intelligence and knowledge is overshadowed by her militant views, just like Bush's good ol' boy appeal (you're right, he's someone who would probably be nice to have a beer with) is hindered by the fact that he happens to have the IQ of your average budgie and the scrupples of TV evangelist.

Yet he got slightly better grades at the same school as Kerry, who is thought to be slightly intellectual. :laugh:

Neither of them were very bright....as I said before the our party's major problem is that we can't find good candidates.....

I decided to move abroad for medical school in 2003...taking the risk of throwing away acceptance at medical school in the US, hearing the clamour of "you'll never make it back as an IMG" and "you'll be so far away" and I can say undoubtedly that I'm having the time of my life. Currently i'm living in Dublin and in two years I've been to every county in Ireland, enjoy the occasional weekend away in france or spain packing a medical book or two with the $1.99 RyanAir flights, spent a summer in Africa and have met colleagues and friends from countless different coutries in the world. I plan on coming back to the US, but not yet. I remember the day i decided to go, the thing is you just have to stop asking so many questions and do it...worst thing happens is that you come home in a jiff or shave your head change your name and live under a bridge painting "masterpieces" for walkers by while the best possible thing is that it gives you exposure to the world outside of mini-malls and FoxNews. Take a chance, pack a bag and check it out.

Flopotomist said:

I don't know about not trusting your gut feelings, the only reason I didn't like Bush before he became president was because of a gut feeling and it turned out to right.

eripearson said:
I decided to move abroad for medical school in 2003...taking the risk of throwing away acceptance at medical school in the US, hearing the clamour of "you'll never make it back as an IMG" and "you'll be so far away" and I can say undoubtedly that I'm having the time of my life. Currently i'm living in Dublin and in two years I've been to every county in Ireland, enjoy the occasional weekend away in france or spain packing a medical book or two with the $1.99 RyanAir flights, spent a summer in Africa and have met colleagues and friends from countless different coutries in the world. I plan on coming back to the US, but not yet. I remember the day i decided to go, the thing is you just have to stop asking so many questions and do it...worst thing happens is that you come home in a jiff or shave your head change your name and live under a bridge painting "masterpieces" for walkers by while the best possible thing is that it gives you exposure to the world outside of mini-malls and FoxNews. Take a chance, pack a bag and check it out.

dude awesome. thats cool! Exactly what I needed to hear: pack a bag and do less planning... Sometimes the families are so skeptical "Why are you going abroad? This is the best country in the world, trust me I've seen it all!" - Grandma. My response is like "Arent you old enough to realize I need to see what the rest of the world is for myself?"

I was looking at a map a few years back, and had this real tough realization.. I noticed there is nowhere in the USA that is NOT surrounded by Interstates on all four sides. It was a real depressing discovery for me. I used to think that "wide open spaces" still existed in this country.. I was dead wrong. I mean, I've met people who asked "Why does that matter? You can use the interstate to get you to those cool places." I beg to differ. The f*cking interstate just lets soccer mom USA drive her minivan through God's Finest Work, the backcountry of the US which is now being slowly inched away. Places like Montana and Wyoming are no longer safe from the sprawl of strip malls and SUV nation.. I hate to say it but this country just isn't what Jack London painted it out to be- a wild, harsh place well-suited for a sled pack of mush dogs, a tin can of martinni and a campfire in Colorado. No, that's all gone. Now its SUVs and parking lot puddles "JESUS HONEY SWERVE, DONT HIT THE PUDDLE" ... I need some action in my life, maybe in the form of a wild boar, or angry pack of dogs vs me and my human plans.. man!! I NEED OUT, society has trapped the inner fire in me

MoosePilot said:
Yet he got slightly better grades at the same school as Kerry, who is thought to be slightly intellectual. :laugh:
Everybody has the right to believe what they like, but does anyone out there, Republican or Democrat, REALLY believe that President Bush is an intelligent man? Has anyone EVER heard him speak off the cuff to the press and sound even halfway intelligent?

No biggie, worse things than stupidity. At least the guy is smart enough to surround him with people a lot brighter than he. Past presidents haven't...

notdeadyet said:
Everybody has the right to believe what they like, but does anyone out there, Republican or Democrat, REALLY believe that President Bush is an intelligent man? Has anyone EVER heard him speak off the cuff to the press and sound even halfway intelligent?

No biggie, worse things than stupidity. At least the guy is smart enough to surround him with people a lot brighter than he. Past presidents haven't...

Actually, yeah, I do think he's intelligent. He's not as articulate as I'd like, but I definitely think the man has intelligence.

Besides, even you said we have the right to believe what we like. It's just your opinion that he isn't intelligent.

Yeah, the Irish are a very stoic (not the word I would use, but I'll be polite) lot. I've spent several weeks in Cork with various friends of mine and they certainly aren't like your average Americans in the slightest. They don't get all wishy-washy or totally pissed over every little thing like most of us. I mean they are great people (and I recommend a visit even if you aren't thinking about moving there; my fiancee and I are thinking about taking our honeymoon there because she hasn't met my friends Jamie and Bridget yet.....but I digress), just they can be very hard to read at times, and it gets worse when you factor in accents some people have.

PoorMD said:
I guess I am pretty tired of this civilization, I was hoping some other pockets of humanity, maybe even beyond europe and asia, still had some semblence of honor, and kindness and not just lustfulness and deceit and the thievery that is the US advertising industry.

Is it possible that I am just sick and tired of anatomy and the entire semester is a wash after just 3 weeks and I should drop out? DAMN this blows..
euchus? huh

How about joining NASA? (I am not being sarcastic)

you can discover new drugs for us while researching in space

Praetorian said:
Yeah, the Irish are a very stoic (not the word I would use, but I'll be polite) lot. I've spent several weeks in Cork with various friends of mine and they certainly aren't like your average Americans in the slightest. They don't get all wishy-washy or totally pissed over every little thing like most of us. I mean they are great people (and I recommend a visit even if you aren't thinking about moving there; my fiancee and I are thinking about taking our honeymoon there because she hasn't met my friends Jamie and Bridget yet.....but I digress), just they can be very hard to read at times, and it gets worse when you factor in accents some people have.

Don't mean to hijack, but I didn't know you were engaged! When is your wedding date?