Had to take time off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x10694

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, help me out here...
A week after i started my medicine rotation, i had a death in family and had to leave the states. I am now three months (length of medicine rotation) behind my colleagues and I will not finish in time to enter the match at 2013, the original date of graduation. So I am gonna be three months late with graduation but a year late with the match. I will have free time, about 8 to 9 months actually. I need advice on how to spend these times. I have basically two choices: do research or go to China (do some medically related mission). I am interested in Hem/Onc so research is a must, but I have also been learning Chinese and going there would really solidifies my progress. I guess my question basically is doing which is best for matching into Hem/Onc since both options are medically related. Any take?

PS. Also would taking time off under my circumstances affect my match results to IM in anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you answered your own question, research is a must and I think a better choice than going to China, unless you can find a research position in China which in that case you'd be killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Taking time off is not going to affect your results since you have a very good reason which you can explain in your personal statement or MSPE somewhere.