Half and Half or one focused one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tpwelie34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am wondering which is preferred: a single volunteer work that is focused at an animal shelter or half focused on the animal shelter and at a library.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter. In the end they will look at the total number of hours. So do what interests you more.

I think it would be beneficial to do both, if you're interested in both. I wouldn't tell you do something just to put it on your resume because that is silly and defeats the purpose of volunteering your time if you're just going through the motions. Showing your interest in multiple things, I think, would make you a better, well rounded applicant. Just my two cents..

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd go with the animal shelter. I volunteered at the library before... shelved books and did other meaningless tasks all day. My brain felt like mush...

And yet those librarians (who don't do squat but sit there) get paid $60,000+ a year. I've worked in the back and front of the library before... and they really don't do anyyyything that's worth that amount. Prime example of the government wasting our tax dollars imo.

What most interviewers are looking for is a true interest and commitment to volunteering and not just a person that fulfills the minimum hour requirement. Do what shows a true philanthropic desire!!

I'd go with one and try to get higher positions as you continue to volunteer there. Also, you can get a better letter of rec if you focus on one activity. I don't think they look at how many hours you done but more about how long have you been part of the organization. What I mean is 100 hours done in one month doesn't look as good as 100 hours done over 3 years. That is my personal opinion and don't know if it's accurate.