half-time as an attending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omgwtfbbq?

yes, really, I'm a girl
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How plausible is it to work half-time once you're done with residency? I don't mean locum work, I mean with a group. Or, working various shifts at local hospitals you're contracted with? I understand that you'll make less money, of course... but does anybody know how it works? Are they easy to find? how do you make it work?

I know that it's possible to find almost any sort of work situation if you look hard enough, but I mean for the general doc who doesn't want to live in fargo.... :)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

it's called part-time, and it's readily available in the private and academic sector. it's proportionally as difficult as the EM market is in whatever city you're looking at. it mostly comes down to a matter of time, money, and benefits. i know several female attendings who do this by choice for at least a little while after having children, and they're some of the best docs i know. compared to your average salary in society (teacher, goverment job, server), 8 shifts/month in EM can be quite comfortable.

thanks for the info :) When you mention the "market" in a city, does that mean that cities like boston, portland, phoenix, for example wouldn't have as many part time opportunities since they're more attractive for full timers?

also, do you know if these part time shifts are usually the nights?

thanks for the info :)

If you're part time, unless you sign a contract to that effect (rare), you're always going to end up with the crappy shifts. The full timers run the schedule. You get the leftovers. Just like with moonlighting usually. Some months you may not get all your shifts, although that usually isn't as common.
Also, you're likely to work at less attractive sites. Cities like you mentioned have many hospitals. Some are great, some are small shops.