Half URM Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I'm half URM half ORM. Specifically, I'm half Mexican and half Vietnamese. However, I don't look Vietnamese at all, I pretty much look 100% Mexican, have a Mexican last name, and I know English and some Spanish. Personally, I barely identify with my asian side. I don't even know a single word in vietnamese and am not involved with the community. Am I shooting myself in the foot if I check boxes for both Asian and Mexican on AMCAS as opposed to just checking Mexican?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Am I shooting myself in the foot if I check boxes for both Asian and Mexican on AMCAS as opposed to just checking Mexican?

You're just being honest - generally speaking the legal cutoff (for scholarships etc.) for officially being a given ethnicity is 1/4

Am I shooting myself in the foot if I check boxes for both Asian and Mexican on AMCAS as opposed to just checking Mexican?
This is an interesting background. No feet have been shot.
It's time to learn Spanish, though.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm half URM half ORM. Specifically, I'm half Mexican and half Vietnamese. However, I don't look Vietnamese at all, I pretty much look 100% Mexican, have a Mexican last name, and I know English and some Spanish. Personally, I barely identify with my asian side. I don't even know a single word in vietnamese and am not involved with the community. Am I shooting myself in the foot if I check boxes for both Asian and Mexican on AMCAS as opposed to just checking Mexican?
Do you have documented service to Hispanic/Latino communities? This will help solidify your URM status.

Just check off latino, it's what you identify with personally and it's not like adding Asian would help you at all

Reactions: 1 user