Hands-off Instrument Tie?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

applicant0704

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with Surgeons doing instrument ties without ever grabbing the needle with their hand.

I shadowed a plastic surgeon a while ago and I remember watching him doing instrument ties without ever using his hands. He would use some other gripping instrument to grab the needle. When he had to loop the thread around the needle driver he would kinda just twirl is wrist and wrap it.

It was a while ago, and I was just wondering if anyone knew of people doing it this way and if they had any advice on how to do it like this.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with Surgeons doing instrument ties without ever grabbing the needle with their hand.

I shadowed a plastic surgeon a while ago and I remember watching him doing instrument ties without ever using his hands. He would use some other gripping instrument to grab the needle. When he had to loop the thread around the needle driver he would kinda just twirl is wrist and wrap it.

It was a while ago, and I was just wondering if anyone knew of people doing it this way and if they had any advice on how to do it like this.

Thanks!

Useful when you're dealing with very fine suture (7-0 or smaller), or you're down to like 1 inch of suture on the needle and you don't want to open another one.

As a med student, focus on being able to competently do instrument ties and two-handed ties. That means square knots and placing knots precisely, not strangling tissues, and being able to do it while double gloved.

And if you're actually a pre-med, go to the bar or something.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Useful when you're dealing with very fine suture (7-0 or smaller), or you're down to like 1 inch of suture on the needle and you don't want to open another one.

As a med student, focus on being able to competently do instrument ties and two-handed ties. That means square knots and placing knots precisely, not strangling tissues, and being able to do it while double gloved.

And if you're actually a pre-med, go to the bar or something.
This. If you try to do something fancy as an MS3-4, they are going to stop you right in your tracks and make you do it in a way they can watch and make sure it's right.

And if you're a pre-med, do go to the bar.