Handshakes at interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunsetpeach

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, do interviewers try to shake interviewee's hands? I have a sweaty palm condition so it is always dripping wet even when it is warm out or if I become even SLIGHTLY nervous.

Is there a polite way to handle this situation so as to not give a bad impression?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm sure there will be handshakes, even among fellow interviewees. you're meeting a bunch of new people. right hand in pocket and swipe it along your pocket on the way out to greet the interviewer? I'm not sure what the best way is, but just do your best. what do you normally do when you meet new people?

i think a handshake is a standard professional greeting...what do you usually do when you meet people for the first time in a formal situation?

i know theres a prescription you can get for something call DrySol which you can rub on your palms and it'll help shut off some of the sweat glands in your hands and help the problem...one of my friends in HS had to use it and it helped him alot so maybe talk to your physician about that

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually I have to bring a bunch of paper towel and hope the sweating doesn't come back faster than 30 seconds. This has caused me embarrassing problems in the past and those blocking medicines don't work. Botox would be too painful and expensive.

my hands get sweaty too so ur not alone haha

When you go in for the handshake, brush your palm slightly against your coat/jacket then shake hand. ?

haha its not that simple, it takes less than a second for the moisture to come out onto the hand, and even the slighest moisture can be sensed in a handshake

personally for me its a mental problem. when i was little i used to be shy in dance classes and always had sweaty hands when holding hands with girls. now, whenever i shake hands with ppl, im reminded by that and naturally get sweaty

to be honest, im well aware sweaty hands are turn offs. i just hope my interviewers will not judge me on that

Reactions: 1 user
i think a handshake is a standard professional greeting...what do you usually do when you meet people for the first time in a formal situation?

i know theres a prescription you can get for something call DrySol which you can rub on your palms and it'll help shut off some of the sweat glands in your hands and help the problem...one of my friends in HS had to use it and it helped him alot so maybe talk to your physician about that

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Drysol is a prescription level antiperspirant but there are plenty of non-prescriptions as well. Look for clinical strength antiperspirant near the deodorant aisle. There are plenty, usually in a box, run 6-10 dollars. Rub them on your palms and elsewhere if you have hyperhidrosis. It should take care of the job.

In Mexico it's customary to extend your wrist or elbow instead of your hand if it's not clean (yes the other person actually shakes your wrist or elbow). Just do it, and give them a European cheek kiss. It's professional, shows you have class, and that you can relate to URM cultures.

Or you can wear latex gloves, and still have a mask on, walk into the room and say " k guys let's make this quick, I gotta get back to a patient".

But seriously, I'm sure they've all encountered their fair share of sweaty hand shakes.

\

please don't worry about this for another second.

schen,
you know it. the sweat glands can be ferrocious

elian,
I tried drysol but it didn't block the sweat glands. I ended up with a wet and sticky layer on my hands

slm,
I don't think i have the courage to extend my elbow lol. but thanks for your encouraging comments.

snaggletoof,
i try not to think about it but it is a real problem that's not just in my head. hard to ignore.

I'd be way more concerned about holding dental instruments.....

haha our hands only get sweaty in anticipation of human contact, handling the instruments wont be an issue

if anyone has other ideas feel free to contribute

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering, do interviewers try to shake interviewee's hands? I have a sweaty palm condition so it is always dripping wet even when it is warm out or if I become even SLIGHTLY nervous.

Is there a polite way to handle this situation so as to not give a bad impression?
Im sure that they will understand in either case. Everyone's nervous and they know that. Wipe your hands first is all. No biggy.

It is so funny to see this kind of thread and I have same problem and I always had trouble when I was dating a girl in the past because of my sweat palm. :D

uncontrollably sweaty hands...you sure this is the right career for you???

haha our hands only get sweaty in anticipation of human contact, handling the instruments wont be an issue

if anyone has other ideas feel free to contribute

Hug it out!

or you can

"Pound it" with your fist;p

Na but in all reality, just wipe rq before meeting another professional :thumbup:

I actually have a slightly different question regarding handshakes that I have been wanting to post about....

If you have an interview that is held by a group of three or more people, what is the correct way to go about handshake? What if you are at a large table.....?Would you uncomfortably lean over the table to reach them?o you walk over to their side of the table to greet them? Or do you just smile, nod and sit down? Do you shake at the beginning AND end of the interview???

I did pageants when I was younger and during the interview process I would be called into a room of 4-5 people spread across a long table and there would be a chair say 6ft in front of them. The proper way to greet them was to come in, stand next to the chair and wait to be told to take a seat-no handshakes....

I know these may be stupid questions to some. I just don't want to come across as awkward or rude because I am not initiating the handshake at the proper time.

If you have Hyperhidrosis, and it is a real issue for you, especially becoming a dentist... you might want to consider ETS surgery. I had it done because I suffered from Hyperhidrosis on my palms. It changed my life completely.
Drysol or any of that stuff doesnt help if you have severe Hyperhidrosis on your hands. But during the interview you should just quickly wipe them then shake hands firmly. They wont care about your sweaty palms.. they would care though if you didnt shake their hand. And make sure you shake their hand with confidence. good luck:oops:

Wrap your shaking hand with an ACE bandage and say you sprained it playing basketball! :idea:

I actually have a slightly different question regarding handshakes that I have been wanting to post about....

If you have an interview that is held by a group of three or more people, what is the correct way to go about handshake? What if you are at a large table.....?Would you uncomfortably lean over the table to reach them?o you walk over to their side of the table to greet them? Or do you just smile, nod and sit down? Do you shake at the beginning AND end of the interview???

I did pageants when I was younger and during the interview process I would be called into a room of 4-5 people spread across a long table and there would be a chair say 6ft in front of them. The proper way to greet them was to come in, stand next to the chair and wait to be told to take a seat-no handshakes....

I know these may be stupid questions to some. I just don't want to come across as awkward or rude because I am not initiating the handshake at the proper time.

As for your first question, I usually say go sequentially by order of how close they are. You don't want to force yourself on someone who isn't ready. Gosh, I hate being overwhelmed by lightening hands. :scared: Now, however, there isn't a drastic difference in distance, I would suggest shaking the hand of the person in the middle, then to your left, and finish with your right. It looks kind of awkward to go down the line like you are a baseball player shaking hands with the opposing team, or something. Third question. Stay on your side of the table. These guys are professional and you should (hopefully) be standing while you shake hands, as will they. Unless it is a round table or giant table, then you should be able to reach across. If you can't, then walk around. Fourth question. Absolutely, shake to introduce, shake to depart. And I say take the initiative. Charge at them as if the handshake is your salvation. Don't make them come to you. Be a beast with the grip but don't break their arms. :(

As for your first question, I usually say go sequentially by order of how close they are. You don't want to force yourself on someone who isn't ready. Gosh, I hate being overwhelmed by lightening hands. :scared: Now, however, there isn't a drastic difference in distance, I would suggest shaking the hand of the person in the middle, then to your left, and finish with your right. It looks kind of awkward to go down the line like you are a baseball player shaking hands with the opposing team, or something. Third question. Stay on your side of the table. These guys are professional and you should (hopefully) be standing while you shake hands, as will they. Unless it is a round table or giant table, then you should be able to reach across. If you can't, then walk around. Fourth question. Absolutely, shake to introduce, shake to depart. And I say take the initiative. Charge at them as if the handshake is your salvation. Don't make them come to you. Be a beast with the grip but don't break their arms. :(

Thank you so much! Very helpful. Sorry if I took anything away from the OP...I just figured if I made another "handshaking during Interviews" thread everyone would assume it was sweaty palms! Thanks again!

We wear latex (am I right?) gloves... so no worries on palm sweat :D

Have you tried to wear/change gloves with a sweaty hand, even after you washed them? you are going to have a hard time in that area if you didn't know about this before.

Have you tried to wear/change gloves with a sweaty hand, even after you washed them? you are going to have a hard time in that area if you didn't know about this before.

Putting on latex gloves with wet hands is like Michael J. Fox trying to silently open a bag of Dorritos...with greasy fingers. And the clumps afterward. :(
Just joking. There are still a lot of options beside powdered latex. There is non-powdered. Nitrile. You are not doomed, my friend. And you can always wear extra-large gloves. More roomy. Unless, of course, you already are extra-large.

If you have Hyperhidrosis, and it is a real issue for you, especially becoming a dentist... you might want to consider ETS surgery. I had it done because I suffered from Hyperhidrosis on my palms. It changed my life completely.
Drysol or any of that stuff doesnt help if you have severe Hyperhidrosis on your hands. But during the interview you should just quickly wipe them then shake hands firmly. They wont care about your sweaty palms.. they would care though if you didnt shake their hand. And make sure you shake their hand with confidence. good luck:oops:

there are many risks associated with ETS surgery so make sure you talk to your doctor .
i would say just go to the bathroom and wash your hands, dry them completely, and try not to think about the interview too much

there are many risks associated with ETS surgery so make sure you talk to your doctor .
i would say just go to the bathroom and wash your hands, dry them completely, and try not to think about the interview too much

Yea I've read in the forums where some people started sweating uncontrollably in their groin after ETS

I spent months in a dental office wearing gloves and there wasn't any problem even when my palms sweat so I don't see why some of you guys imply sweaty palmed folks should reconsider becoming a dentist

Wrap your shaking hand with an ACE bandage and say you sprained it playing basketball! :idea:
That's funny and effective, I might just do that :D

I don't know how much you are trying to look into the whole handshake business, but it looks like were all diving in so...

I heard that it is best to offer your hand (can we call it that?) palm face UP. Or at least tilted upward. When someone offers you their hand palm face down it is supposed to indicate someone who needs to be in control and that can come off as threatening. A palm face up indicates someone who is open and it is supposed to be less threatening.

Ever since I heard that I have always just paid attention to how people shake hands with me. Not that it really matters its more so interesting.

Firm handshakes indicate strength and confidence. Dead fish handshakes are weird.

just wondering how sunset is doing? have you had any interviews? if so how did it go?

just wondering how sunset is doing? have you had any interviews? if so how did it go?
Hi snaggletoof...no I haven't had any invites yet. When i made this thread, I was just worrying ahead of time :D You've just had an interview at NJ huh? Went well, I hope?

I don't know how much you are trying to look into the whole handshake business, but it looks like were all diving in so...

I heard that it is best to offer your hand (can we call it that?) palm face UP. Or at least tilted upward. When someone offers you their hand palm face down it is supposed to indicate someone who needs to be in control and that can come off as threatening. A palm face up indicates someone who is open and it is supposed to be less threatening.

Ever since I heard that I have always just paid attention to how people shake hands with me. Not that it really matters its more so interesting.

Firm handshakes indicate strength and confidence. Dead fish handshakes are weird.

I have very good firm grip when it comes to handshakes...when my palms aren't sweaty that is...

"dead fish" handshakes :laugh:

Hi snaggletoof...no I haven't had any invites yet. When i made this thread, I was just worrying ahead of time :D You've just had an interview at NJ huh? Went well, I hope?

I have very good firm grip when it comes to handshakes...when my palms aren't sweaty that is...

"dead fish" handshakes :laugh:

thanks sunset, it went well, dont give up hope. we still have time for interviews to come!

you have to shake thier hand...its the professional thing to do

If its VERY wet, after you shake thier hand, just throw a joke about your sweaty palms condition and smile about it.

If you come to Temple, I recommend that you curtsy, it's the latest trend. Don't shake hands, it will offend them.

I agree with just step up shake the hand and if you feel it is overly wet slip in excuse me I have sweatyhanditis, it may spark a conversation how their best friend has the same issue and what they do.
The interviews can go in all directions and you should try to use something you have different to your advantage