Handwrite versus Type secondaries: Let's settle this.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by CaNEM

Definitely type them. Period. End of story. Finito. The fat lady has sung. The ship has sunk. Bin Laden is dead.

On the other hand, you should certainly hand-write them. No question about it.

It's obvious that he's telling you to not type it nor write it Jot.

Draw pictures for your essays and show the admissions committee how creative you can be. Also, wouldn't it be advantageous for word limited essays? Remember, A picture's worth a thousand words.

Good luck! I hope to see you in Med school soon Jot!

- Focus

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Focus

Draw pictures for your essays and show the admissions committee how creative you can be. Also, wouldn't it be advantageous for word limited essays? Remember, A picture's worth a thousand words.

- Focus

Actually, I've spoken to many admissions offices, and here are some ways to complete secondaries that they highly recommend:

1. Dip a toothpick in lemon juice and use this to write on the application. This way, it will appear that nothing is written on the paper, but when the dean of admissions holds it up to the light, the text will appear.

2. Prick your finger and write it in your own blood. This shows how committed you are to the school.

3. Attach your application to a "LightBright" and use the multicolored lights to create letters and words. FedEx the entire toy in its original packaging with the application attached to the admissions office.

4. (Females only) Kiss the top of the application immediately after applying bright red lipstick, leaving well-defined lip marks behind. (Optional: Include a pair of panties in the envelop).

5. If you happened to appear on the hit show "Survivor" recently, send the video-tape audition you created for the show to the admissions office in place of a paper application. It has been said that both the show and medical schools use very similar criteria in picking applicants.

"LightBright" and use the multicolored lights to create letters and words

lightbright rocks! that post was really illuminating.
op485.gif
kill me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ha! I have access to two (that's right, 2!) typewriters and I wouldn't be caught dead typing my secondaries on them!

Any school that takes candidates who use archaic technology and puts them above other candidates doesn't have their priorities straight. There must be a reason all my secondaries say: "Print neatly". What if I typed one of those, would that show my commitment to NOT following instructions?

Get a typewritter! Look professional!

Originally posted by jot
so ... should i handwrite my secondaries or get a typwriter? what do you guys think? is one better than the other? :confused:

-j;) t

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And u rock, ItsGavin!

Originally posted by CaNEM

Actually, I've spoken to many admissions offices, and here are some ways to complete secondaries that they highly recommend:

1. Dip a toothpick in lemon juice and use this to write on the application. This way, it will appear that nothing is written on the paper, but when the dean of admissions holds it up to the light, the text will appear.

2. Prick your finger and write it in your own blood. This shows how committed you are to the school.

3. Attach your application to a "LightBright" and use the multicolored lights to create letters and words. FedEx the entire toy in its original packaging with the application attached to the admissions office.

4. (Females only) Kiss the top of the application immediately after applying bright red lipstick, leaving well-defined lip marks behind. (Optional: Include a pair of panties in the envelop).

5. If you happened to appear on the hit show "Survivor" recently, send the video-tape audition you created for the show to the admissions office in place of a paper application. It has been said that both the show and medical schools use very similar criteria in picking applicants.

Really? I actually tried #4! I did! :laugh:

It's amazing to see this post still going. here's a recap of what's going on so far:

1. Some people are saying type it and are arguing that this makes it look professional and is NOT a requirement.

2. Opponents are arguing that schools shouldn't require typing it, and any school that puts the typed ones ahead of non-typed sucks, or won't accept students who wrote it sucks, etc. These people should read statement 1 very carefully

3. The few are arguing that they can't find a typewriter or that it is too expensive. These people should find the link to the $39 electronic typewriter already posted.

There the whole post condensed, so let's kill this thing if you can't say anything that is not in statement 1-3 above.:D

X

I said this before, but it got buried pretty quickly:

YOU can look professional WITHOUT typing your application if the application gives you the option of handwriting OR typing. Things like your ECs, how you project yourself in your essay(s), and the way you present yourself at an interview are MUCH more important than how you fill out your application, in my opinion. If the school gives you the option of handwriting (and you can do so NEATLY) then feel free to hand write! It'll help give your application some personality too.

But also feel free to type if you're more comfortable with that!

I don't know if this question has been posed yet.
Should I type or write my secondaries?
Has anyone else faced this dilemna?

Originally posted by Doctor Octopus

Type it, dumb bastard. Dont make any excuses you worthless husk of man.

(pad)

Originally posted by Doctor Octopus

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
see, that's exactly my point. Those secondaries that are being sent to me via email or are online, I can obviously type them in. I know how to work in Acrobat so that's no a problem.

But there are a few (George WA being one) where they want you to put it all on THAT paper only. They send you the paper secondary. So the only way I can TYPE into that thing without errors, is if I scan it in....make it a PDF.....type my answers in...print it ON THEIR PAPER (read the story about how they sent a secondary back because it was not on their paper) and then post it.

Ofcourse, I could just type it on a type writer, but I would have millions of mistakes and in the end it won't even look good. Plus, where can you get a type writer these days?

I know how to do all of the above, but i think it's a foolish waste of time especially considering these schools told me it's okay not to do it. Are we premeds or are we computer science majors????

I don't know why GW is so anal. Scanning it in is a reasonable option, I guess. I'm going to go ahead and say type instead of write. I really think they like that better, and it looks more professional (assuming it's not Brown undergrad :)). That said, I handwrote my Carolina application for undergrad in about 10 mins, and still got in... :)

As for are we premeds or CS majors...well...med schools want you to conform to their standard :eek: :eek:. It's a waste of time, yes, but the whole application process is. You just have to play the game.

Sometimes your career services people will have typewriters, as will libraries and such.

-RA

I say type. Of course, I had my mom do the typing for me! ;)

Originally posted by SMW
I say type. Of course, I had my mom do the typing for me! ;)

mama's bo..err, girl

My handwriting is atrocious, so I just type it on my computer and make sure it lines up exactly w/ paper app. For the hard to "X" boxes, I just check those off by hand. It's not worth the extra hour for a few X's.