• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

MoldyCheese

Reformed Gunner
10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
The 'fridge
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I just received some correspondence from a school I recently interviewed at. It was signed by all of the admissions directors, but one of them (the dean who interviewed me) wrote a little note on the side telling me how much he enjoyed meeting me and how he hoped I would keep in touch. Is this typical? 95% of me knows that this is probably a common courtesy and that all interviewees receive some kind of note, but 5% of me keeps hoping that this is a good sign of some sort. Has anyone else gotten anything else like this?

qwopty99

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2006
i assume they wouldn't give that letter to anyone who they weren't intending to give an acceptance to (if they haven't already).

whether this is a unique act, or a generic letter sent to all the people who it sent acceptances to, that's hard to guess. my feeling however, is that assuming the grad program isn't too big, it isn't difficult to fathom them sending it out to all the people the send an acceptance to, as a form of a recruitment tactic.

About the Ads

Hard24Get

The black sleepymed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2006
In my skin, when I jump out you jump in!
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I just received some correspondence from a school I recently interviewed at. It was signed by all of the admissions directors, but one of them (the dean who interviewed me) wrote a little note on the side telling me how much he enjoyed meeting me and how he hoped I would keep in touch. Is this typical? 95% of me knows that this is probably a common courtesy and that all interviewees receive some kind of note, but 5% of me keeps hoping that this is a good sign of some sort. Has anyone else gotten anything else like this?

Are you talkng about Penn? I got a similar letter a little over 7 years ago. And here I am. :D It would be interesting to see if there is any difference btwn accepted and non-accepted, though I assumed it a common (but delightful!) courtesy at the time.

I have to say, if you are talking about Penn, the letter is a true representation of the individualized care they take with their students. :love:

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
the beach
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It sounds like Penn. Everyone gets a letter from them. I got one and rotted on the waitlist till June. I've known others who got the letter, with handwritten notes or whatever and never got in off the waitlist (nobody gets a post-interview rejection BTW). Don't read too much into it. It's a marketing ploy to try to keep you hanging on since they don't send their acceptances out till late. They don't want you to think "I haven't heard, so I'm not getting in", but rather "Oh wow, I got this nice letter which means I have a shot!".

crimsonkid85

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
yea i immediately thought of penn. i also got one with a little handwritten note from the director. it's not one of my top choices, tho, so meh.

dave613

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
New York
Status (Visible)
Neuronix, you are so awesome for telling it how it is.

Yeah, Neuronix is the man!

If i had to vote who should be running the AAMC in the future, it would have to be Neuronix.

People who aren't full of BS rock.

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
the beach
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I can only wish someone would put me in power. My changes would be too radical, so it will probably never happen. The other people in power tend not to like my suggestions, because I don't believe in the monopolistic hegemonies that dominate our society. But, these sorts of things keep certain people very wealthy, so they continue.

In any case, I appreciate the love ;)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.