Happy veterinary stories anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spicykimchi

Inactive
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I could sure go for hearing some stories about happy vets, happy vet students, or happy techs. I know they're out there and that they exist!! Does this bring to mind an experience you've had? A story about a sweet client that is a joy to deal with? A vet clinic that almost went bankrupt but made it and started prospering? A vet student that did amazingly well and actually had fun during vet school? An impossible case no one thought would make turn out good, but the animal is alive and well? I could use the encouragement (as I'm sure others could too).
 
Last edited:
I didn't give two dogs cancer last week 😉

LoL. Well, the initial cytologies were very suspicious of malignant tumor, so they took the whole thing out, and the biopsies I read were clean.

I think the forum has been rather "Debbie Downer" recently - don't think we all actually hate our lives. It's not intentional naysaying - we just all need to bitch and moan occasionally (as well as make valid points about the field). Some economic periods are better than others.
 
I LOVE vet school. Not all day everyday, but overall, I am really happy at this point in my life. I tried for a long time to get in so when I stop and think "wow I'm really here", it's pretty awesome

I understand the job market is pretty abysmal and so are starting salaries but I am paying IS tuition, have no previous loans and am pretty confident about finding a job when I move back home. Besides, my SO is willing to help me pay off my loans, which puts me in a darn good positon, knowing I don't have to do it ALL myself. 😍

Erin
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Happy stories:

I have enjoyed my time in vet school. I am almost done with core rotations and starting 9 weeks of elective time! I matched at my first choice internship site and will have a decent paycheck for the first time in four years. My patient that had a 90% chance of only having bad disease (likely euthanasia) lucked out and is doing great on meds!

Better? And its all true!
 
It completely slipped my mind to mention my veterinarian in this thread. I will call him Dr. Skittles (not his real name). Dr. Skittles's veterinary hospital is more of a charity than anything else. He knows he has to make money to stay open, but he puts any extra money he has into his patients. Once he did a $3,000 surgery for $350! (It's all the people had.)

Here's the story (names changed):

SOME TOWN - Bawling like a baby, Wendy Stridor said goodbye to her family dog at Some Town Animal Hospital the day after Christmas. She couldn't afford to pay $3,000 for the major surgery that her 13-month-old pit bull needed to survive, so Stridor paid about $350 to put her down.

Four days later, Stridor, her husband and four kids received the best belated Christmas present they could have asked for: The veterinarian had saved the dog's life for free.

"I don't know if it's a Christmas miracle or if God was just watching over us, but it is just amazing to me that (the vet) would just do that," said Stridor, 45, of Some Other Town. "We couldn't believe it."

The dog — a black, blue-nose pit bull named Barkley — had been sick for about three weeks. After an examination, Dr. Bag'O Skittles, owner of Some Town Animal Hospital, said Barkley had a serious blockage in his abdominal cavity, which had likely been caused by eating from the garbage.

Devastated by the news, Stridor and her husband paid to euthanize the dog and left the office in tears.


"I sat down on my desk, and I thought, ‘This is the family dog,' and it's the holidays, so if I can do something, I should do it," Skittles said. "It took me about three minutes to make the decision."


Skittles spent a little more than an hour on the major surgery, which rang up nearly $3,000 in medical costs, and he stayed until almost midnight that night to ensure the dog was recovering well.

"You don't work for the money, you have to really care for these babies," Skittles said. "And I'm blessed to have a beautiful and caring wife who understands when I spend my time and money on cases for the good cause."

On Friday Stridor fed Barkley her medicine — also provided by Skittles for free — while the dog hung out with the family in her new Pittsburgh Steelers jersey, a family Christmas present.

To thank Skittles, Stridor purchased 10 fleece blankets that she will be donating to the animal hospital for dog cages — "the least I could do," she said.


Skittles said he regrets he cannot provide free services to every family in need, and he must make tough life-and-death decisions every day.

During a press interview Friday, Skittles sat debating whether to save another family's dog, a 5-month-old Chihuahua mix with the same blockage problem. Skittles said he kept thinking about the sad young boy who dropped off the dog to be put down.

"I'm just sitting here and thinking, ‘What I should do?'" Skittles said. "This is New Year's, and I am very busy, but I still told my technicians not to euthanize that pet yet, to just hold on.


"I can't do everybody's, but who knows, maybe I'll give good news to this kid who was crying. Some dogs are savable — I can save some."

- - - -

I can personally attest to Skittles' kindness. One year when one of our dogs needed care to survive and finances were tight and we could not afford everything the dog needed, he discounted the heck out of our bill and ended up doing two surgeries for free as well. Dang.
 
Well I just got into Veterinary School and am coming up to my 5th year as a technician. I love my job, get to work with some great pets, and I love the daily interactions. Don't forget that VetMed is about the people as well as the animals - you can meet some really cool people.
 
I can personally attest to Skittles' kindness. One year when one of our dogs needed care to survive and finances were tight and we could not afford everything the dog needed, he discounted the heck out of our bill and ended up doing two surgeries for free as well. Dang.

That's a pretty awesome story and I have much respect for that guy. Pretty risky considering the litigious nature of the USA. If the dog died under anesthesia and the owners came back for the body and found it sutured up I'm sure they would wonder why their dog was cut open.
 
For the most part, I also had an incredible time in vet school. I now look back on those 4 years as the best time of my life and met some of the most incredible people and some of my best friends there. Sure it was tough, but the 'real world' is a lot tougher...
 
That's a pretty awesome story and I have much respect for that guy. Pretty risky considering the litigious nature of the USA. If the dog died under anesthesia and the owners came back for the body and found it sutured up I'm sure they would wonder why their dog was cut open.
I have thought basically the same thing: awesome what he does, but I do keep my fingers crossed that some jerk doesn't turn around and sue him!

I want to, like, donate to him or something...so he could save somebody's pet with it. I just feel silly calling and asking. Should I just do it? Or is it weird to offer him random money?

Or maybe I could just tip him next time I get something done there...

For the most part, I also had an incredible time in vet school. I now look back on those 4 years as the best time of my life and met some of the most incredible people and some of my best friends there. Sure it was tough, but the 'real world' is a lot tougher...
Yeah, tough does not necessarily equal terrible and no fun.
 
I have thought basically the same thing: awesome what he does, but I do keep my fingers crossed that some jerk doesn't turn around and sue him!

I want to, like, donate to him or something...so he could save somebody's pet with it. I just feel silly calling and asking. Should I just do it? Or is it weird to offer him random money?

Or maybe I could just tip him next time I get something done there...


Yeah, tough does not necessarily equal terrible and no fun.

Call and ask if they have a stray fund, or if they would set one up for you to donate to. Several clinics I've worked at have a "client" account that is intended for donations and use for animals that are either stray or those "hopeless" cases that you just can't help but treat anyway.
 
Sorry to step on the nature of the thread but as far as Dr. Skittles I think this is morally and legally wrong. To offer to cover the care, sign the animal over to the hospital, discount out of a stray/hard up fund all great ideas and great good will. But to agree to euthanasia, have them pay for it, leave thinking their dog will be euthanized and its not? To me that is very very wrong. Doing the good work behind the owners back really bothers me.

Sorry back to the thread....
 
But to agree to euthanasia, have them pay for it, leave thinking their dog will be euthanized and its not? To me that is very very wrong. Doing the good work behind the owners back really bothers me.

A possible reason is the idea to save a certain dog doesn't occur until later. Another is maybe he can't bring himself to have the dog euthanized when he goes to do so. And yet another possible reason is he wants publicity. (I'm not gonna defend him just cuz he's my vet. If he's possibly in the wrong, I will admit it.) As to why he doesn't tell the owner beforehand, I don't know, unless he doesn't want to get their hopes up only to have the dog die in surgery or him have to euthanize it after finding out he can't fix it's problem. Both are possible.
 
As much as I'm scared about my debt level and think a bunch of my classes this semester kind of suck, I'm actually having a pretty sweet time in vet school!

I'm doing really well in school without much stress, and am blown away by some of the cool opportunities I can take part in just for being a vet student. I'd never really touched a horse in my life, but within the first few weeks of school I was feeling up a cervix of a mare and getting farted in the face during a horse AI wetlab! Just this last week, I was able to go in and just walk around the entire small animal surgery wing for a few hours, poking in and out of surgery suites watching all the cool procedures going on. During other wetlabs I was able to practice a bunch of awesome procedures on cadavers (suturing, getting in feeding tubes through the neck, cystocentesis, passing catheters, intraosseous fluid therapy 😱, etc...).

There are dissected and plastinated specimen of anything you can think of lying around that I can go in and marvel at 24/7, and the professors are amazing about making learning tools available to us. First years are given their own desks with drawers and little bookshelf (and a microscope for every 2 people) so that you can make yourself at home at school if you study better there.

To counteract the lack of live animal handling, I volunteer for vet services at the humane society! I will also be doing intake/physical exams for a dog rescue through shelter club. Just having that contact with animals and veterinarians in a clinical setting as a future vet is in itself an amazing experience.

Best of all, I've miraculously found a position in a research lab that I've been dying to join since even before I came to CSU. It's the one lab that studies many diseases that are common in shelter med, and I'm able to use the skills I've gained in cancer research to actually study something I'm passionate about (not that I don't care about cancer... but still)! My project is assessing new high tech diagnostic tools for canine parvovirus vs. the usual SNAP test. My boss trusts me to work on the project independently, and it's exciting that I'm able to take the project as far as I feel like taking it. How cool is it that I'm actually able to research something that is clinically relevant on a disease that I've always wanted to study!?

And on top of that, Erin and I have a very tight group of friends and it's awesome to have people that not only understand what you're going through (and go through it with you), but also get along so well that we destress by doing something fun at least a couple times a week!

So yeah, there are definitely things in vet school that I don't enjoy at all that I can't control (which is what I tend to bitch about, cause it's so easy to forget all the good in life)... but the beauty is that vet school really is what you make out of it and it provides you with so many amazing opportunities! What an awesome thread - thanks for reminding me how blessed I really am to be here!
 
...but the beauty is that vet school really is what you make out of it and it provides you with so many amazing opportunities! What an awesome thread - thanks for reminding me how blessed I really am to be here!

I'm glad I'm not the only one whom this thread has done any good! I knew there had to be SOME students SOMEWHERE that liked SOMETHING about vet school! While we should be realistic about the fact vet school is not a bed of roses, I think it's good to be reminded there are positive things about it 🙂


There are dissected and plastinated specimen of anything you can think of lying around that I can go in and marvel at 24/7, and the professors are amazing about making learning tools available to us.

I would love to frollick through there =D