7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
Status
ToTaLLy_TaSha said:
Enjoy the 'sadhya'!!!
is that enjoy the "present"?

enganeunda? sukhamaano? :D i had to show off my scant knowledge of malayalam! :D

happy vishu to all of u! :)

Callous K9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
US
Visit site
Status
gpg said:
Happy New year to all of you....so how did all of you in the US celebrate it.....

u wont belivvvvve wat i did last yr.!!
My first time in the US,bholi bhali (buddhu) ladki ,recently got married, didnt know soo much about poojas..(while in india ,always had a mom who would do all things neccessary for the pooja)
So supposedly for this festival..we are supposed to keep all fruits,vegetables,pulses, gold coins,rice..etc etc , in front of the Gods(mandir) ,the previous night. Next morning,we are supposed to get up wihtout opening our eyes and go straight to the Mandir and then open our eyes so that our firssst glimpse is of alll the veggies and fruits..symbolises that we are praying to god,that we get a good harvest and may we never see a shortage of these things.(correct me if i am wrong, the wiser ones:) but this is wat my mom told me!!)
anyways..i decided to take a shorcut route for the preparations..

So for vishu kani...i got up with closed eyes...and went straight to the kitchen ..opened the fridge and opened my eyes. :D

dont ask wat followed..after i told this to my MIL and Mom!!!!! :eek:

toothmail

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
Status
Callous K9 said:
u wont belivvvvve wat i did last yr.!!
My first time in the US,bholi bhali (buddhu) ladki ,recently got married, didnt know soo much about poojas..(while in india ,always had a mom who would do all things neccessary for the pooja)
So supposedly for this festival..we are supposed to keep all fruits,vegetables,pulses, gold coins,rice..etc etc , in front of the Gods(mandir) ,the previous night. Next morning,we are supposed to get up wihtout opening our eyes and go straight to the Mandir and then open our eyes so that our firssst glimpse is of alll the veggies and fruits..symbolises that we are praying to god,that we get a good harvest and may we never see a shortage of these things.(correct me if i am wrong, the wiser ones:) but this is wat my mom told me!!)
anyways..i decided to take a shorcut route for the preparations..

So for vishu kani...i got up with closed eyes...and went straight to the kitchen ..opened the fridge and opened my eyes. :D

dont ask wat followed..after i told this to my MIL and Mom!!!!! :eek:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Callous K9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
US
Visit site
Status
anyways
this was too embarrasing.So i decided this year..i will prepare "Payasam"
which is sweet porridge.
so i call my sister who has always been my guiding light for southindian cooking.(well...my first yr...she taught me 'cooking' and the names of differant pulses.this year i have progressed to "southindian cooking" :cool: !!

so she is instructing me to cut vellam,(or ) guddd, or a huge chunk of unrefined sugarcane(am i right,fellows???)
So the fone is betn my ear , shoulder my hands are desperately trying to cut that stubborn block of vellam....and aaahhh i finally split the block.
Lo and behold wat did i see!
a hugggge cockroach wigggling its antenna out of one piece.
I screaaaaaamed ,goosepimpleddd , threw the fone down..my sister thought i had a heartattack.. :scared: :scared:
I had the yukkkkiesst feeeling a feeling could get!!!!
i finally drew enough strength to throw the entire container with the vellam in the garbage disposal!!!

Even god didnt want me to make payasam that day :rolleyes:

ToTaLLy_TaSha

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
LOL... hopefully God has better plans for you this year, Cal!! :D

Toothmail, sadhya is the traditional banana leaf lunch, usually reserved for Onam, but my family never skip a chance to celebrate :D

dentaldoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2003
Visit site
Status
Callous K9 said:
anyways
this was too embarrasing.So i decided this year..i will prepare "Payasam"
which is sweet porridge.
so i call my sister who has always been my guiding light for southindian cooking.(well...my first yr...she taught me 'cooking' and the names of differant pulses.this year i have progressed to "southindian cooking" :cool: !!

so she is instructing me to cut vellam,(or ) guddd, or a huge chunk of unrefined sugarcane(am i right,fellows???)
So the fone is betn my ear , shoulder my hands are desperately trying to cut that stubborn block of vellam....and aaahhh i finally split the block.
Lo and behold wat did i see!
a hugggge cockroach wigggling its antenna out of one piece.
I screaaaaaamed ,goosepimpleddd , threw the fone down..my sister thought i had a heartattack.. :scared: :scared:
I had the yukkkkiesst feeeling a feeling could get!!!!
i finally drew enough strength to throw the entire container with the vellam in the garbage disposal!!!

Even god didnt want me to make payasam that day :rolleyes:
:laugh: oh girl! :laugh: good that ur sis didn't call 911 :laugh: :laugh:

BBGUN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 24, 2004
USA
Status
Gee, a thread for malayalees.Man ,this is a small world.Someone here mentioned that VIshu is new yr and Onam in the harvest festival.Just a correction.Vishu is the harvest festival,back in the days they welocmed the new year with harvest.Same as for most or all of the other Indians.Onam is specifically a malayalee festival.It is based on a belief of the annual visit of a generous demon king from the mythology.The simple reasoning, Onam is after monsoons and harvest is always before rains.

About the Ads