Harbor-UCLA, USC, Olive-View - EMR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HigHal320

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Harbor-UCLA has an EMR (e.g. centricity, EPIC,...)?

How about USC and Olive-View?

Members don't see this ad.

Olive View and Harbor both have EMR, I forget the name of it but it's nothing too special - but it works fine.

My friend at USC said they have the same EMR program as Olive View and Harbor. He said it gets the job done.

Members don't see this ad :)

Harbor's EMR is decent, but that place is so..... UGGGHHHHH!!!! I'm a student at UCLA and rotated there and HATED IT! It's the ugliest hospital ever, lots of scut and not exactly a "friendly" learning environment. They called me "unteachable"! Obviously they didn't bother to check my step scores. On to other options! Not sure about USC or Olive View. Maybe I should have rotated there!

LadyBruinMD....

Harbor's nationally renowned for its clinical teaching, the fact that they went so far to write in your evaluation that you were "unteachable" speaks more about you. I'm sorry but I can't believe you're for real. "Check your board scores"? If that's what defines how good a doctor you are, then I'm glad you're looking at other programs. I'm sure cush residency programs like Cedars would love to have you.

I'm not affiliated with Harbor but their quality of training and residents that they produce are top notch. Spare your bs elsewhere please.

For Harbor, there is an EMR for labs/images, and for things like H&Ps, discharge summaries, and op notes. However, daily progress notes and consult notes are handwritten. Likewise, while vitals on the floors are electronic, vitals in the ICUs are still handwritten flow charts.

At Olive View, I believe that pretty much everything is electronic now.

Olive view uses a great program that works off of and builds on the old county affinity database. For some reason the other county programs still use affinity.

Olive view uses a great program that works off of and builds on the old county affinity database. For some reason the other county programs still use affinity.
All 3 of them said they'll be switching to full EMR within 2 years. The story of who gets it first and who gets it second was inconsistent from program to program.

there is a lot of eye-rolling and disbelief about the switch to full since county programs always have to deal with county beurocracy to have changes made

I was told by one of the assistant PDs that Harbor is going to get it first (some time this year), and then the other two at some point.

Harbor's EMR is decent, but that place is so..... UGGGHHHHH!!!! I'm a student at UCLA and rotated there and HATED IT! It's the ugliest hospital ever, lots of scut and not exactly a "friendly" learning environment. They called me "unteachable"! Obviously they didn't bother to check my step scores. On to other options! Not sure about USC or Olive View. Maybe I should have rotated there!

"Number of posts: 1" = troll

a word of wisdom from sage - you want to be at a hospital that has had EMR for a while or will not transition for next few years. IMHO the transition time is the worst, and you dont want to be caught in the midst of it.

Its a little too late at this point....