Hard Decision....advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KoiMan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I been on SDN for a while now as a lurker but I am going to make a post and ask for advice so please don't flame me (as I see many people are doing to threads like this :p). Here's the problem....I have been accepted to a dental school but it is not my first choice, (waitlisted at my first choice-my state school). The cost difference is about 180K-200K, and I am really worry about getting the money to pay for it all and I am seriously thinking of giving up my spot and reapply again next year to my state school. People keep telling me that there's so much competition to get in that there is no guarantee one will be accepted next year-this I understand of course but I am also really burnt out and want to take a year off but my parents are pressuring me to go to school in the fall. I think I have decent enough stats to compete again next year with a possibility of getting accepted either at my state school or somewhere else cheaper. As of now i am really contemplating on what to do? What would you guys do if you were in my situation? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I been on SDN for a while now as a lurker but I am going to make a post and ask for advice so please don't flame me (as I see many people are doing to threads like this :p). Here's the problem....I have been accepted to a dental school but it is not my first choice, (waitlisted at my first choice-my state school). The cost difference is about 180K-200K, and I am really worry about getting the money to pay for it all and I am seriously thinking of giving up my spot and reapply again next year to my state school. People keep telling me that there's so much competition to get in that there is no guarantee one will be accepted next year-this I understand of course but I am also really burnt out and want to take a year off but my parents are pressuring me to go to school in the fall. I think I have decent enough stats to compete again next year with a possibility of getting accepted either at my state school or somewhere else cheaper. As of now i am really contemplating on what to do? What would you guys do if you were in my situation? Thanks in advance

Tell us. Is it USC or NYU that you got into??

I would go, even if it is not your first choice. Especially if you are burned out.

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW, I think the next cycle will definitely be easier than this one...considering on the DAT you can only use the fat markers now....

Is this true? i thought it was only at certain prometric centers. has this become the norm?

i think so...........

P.S. what school is it KoiMan?

Dont let your parents pressurize you. Its you that has to take the load. If there is any thing deep inside your heart telling you not to do then be really careful because it may be your inner instinct telling you that you may not be ready to take this challenge. You may wind up missing home or get homesick.This is because if you got into dental school and you are not excited and thinking about starting this fall then that is not a good sign. Just my thoughts but the rest is your decision.

BTW, I think the next cycle will definitely be easier than this one...considering on the DAT you can only use the fat markers now....

lol. yah, those fat markers were annoying to use. it affected me most on the qr section.

op, being waitlisted this year seems like a good sign for next year, unless you were waitlisted despite having applied early enough. but if you applied a bit late, then being waitlisted probably indicates that they would liked you enough to have offered you an acceptance if only it was earlier in the cycle and they had seats open to give you.

considering you're feeling some mental burden, feeling burned out and all, i think taking a year off can only help you. i mean, you've got the stats thing taken care of as you've said. so all you have to do for the year is keep up with your ec's and even earn some money working during your year off if that's feasible for you.

plus, a difference of up to 200k is no joke. talk it out with your parents and assure them that you have alot of positives working in you favor for a very likely acceptance at your state school next year. you certainly don't want to burden yourself with that much more debt for the rest of your life because of hearsay regarding how competitive it will be next year, or even the pressure from your parents. just help them to see eye to eye with you on this one. they're probably freaking out based on what they've been hearing about how competitive it is.

but in closing, i think that if youre feeling mentally and emotionally drained enough to say you're burned out, you should carefully look into trying again next year. i think you should go into dental school feeling like you're in the best possible condition emotionally/mentally/physically. take time to take care of yourself. im sure you're young enough that investing one extra year right now into your own wellbeing is no big deal.

hey, i hope you end up making the right choice for yourself. just take comfort in the fact that others, like myself, have been in simiar situations. im sure you'll do your best whatever you decide. good luck.

Thanks all for the positive comments...I will keep it in mind, I definitely agree about you saying about the "excited" feeling but I am lacking that so maybe its not a good sign. I am glad to hear that the next cycle will be easier, because of the fat markers LOL thats too funny. Man, being waitlisted is worse than waiting for the Dec 1st acceptance date! You'll never know when you're gonna go but hey this is the month! I might get lucky and get in :love:

lol. yah, those fat markers were annoying to use. it affected me most on the qr section.

op, being waitlisted this year seems like a good sign for next year, unless you were waitlisted despite having applied early enough. but if you applied a bit late, then being waitlisted probably indicates that they would liked you enough to have offered you an acceptance if only it was earlier in the cycle and they had seats open to give you.

considering you're feeling some mental burden, feeling burned out and all, i think taking a year off can only help you. i mean, you've got the stats thing taken care of as you've said. so all you have to do for the year is keep up with your ec's and even earn some money working during your year off if that's feasible for you.

plus, a difference of up to 200k is no joke. talk it out with your parents and assure them that you have alot of positives working in you favor for a very likely acceptance at your state school next year. you certainly don't want to burden yourself with that much more debt for the rest of your life because of hearsay regarding how competitive it will be next year, or even the pressure from your parents. just help them to see eye to eye with you on this one. they're probably freaking out based on what they've been hearing about how competitive it is.

but in closing, i think that if youre feeling mentally and emotionally drained enough to say you're burned out, you should carefully look into trying again next year. i think you should go into dental school feeling like you're in the best possible condition emotionally/mentally/physically. take time to take care of yourself. im sure you're young enough that investing one extra year right now into your own wellbeing is no big deal.

hey, i hope you end up making the right choice for yourself. just take comfort in the fact that others, like myself, have been in simiar situations. im sure you'll do your best whatever you decide. good luck.

I applied to two schools and it was really late, took my DAT at end of August and had all my application in around October...I was a newbie then didn't know how important it is to be early.

everyone who posted in this thread has alterior motives...they want your spot.

Go for the gauranteed thing. Start i the fall, take three months off and relax. It will all be worth it.

go for it cuz you never know what is going to happen next year. If I were you I would have gone anywhere that accept me, that is what I did.

Go to the school you got into. Financially, it makes more sense because you will have 1 more year of peak production as a dentist, which will likely be greater than $200K.

Members don't see this ad :)
if I were you, I would go. Who cares about the cost.....loans-shmoans, you will be making the money to pay it off and live just fine. This is a chance given to you. Do not let it pass!!
What if you do not get in next year?????? It is also an extra year income so it will not be so bad.

GO!! There are never any guarantees...you'll be making money one year earlier to pay back whatever you spent in additional loans...lol

everyone who posted in this thread has alterior motives...they want your spot.

Go for the gauranteed thing. Start i the fall, take three months off and relax. It will all be worth it.

*ahem*

I told him to go, especially since he is burned out (and re-applied as a burned out applicant hurts you more than helps).

Not everyone told him to take a year off, but most did. I didn't though.

I am applying this coming cycle. I think you should go in the Fall :) .

Seriously though, you definately shouldn't sit around for a year and reapply. It's not going to be worth it in the end. It's worth it to go now and not risk not getting in next year. Just go man.

I am in a tad of a similar situation...waiting on the school i want and have gotten accepted some place else etc. My advice to you would be hold onto the school you got accepted to and wait for the answer from the school you got waitlisted at. What if next year the competition is even stronger. you may not even get waitlisted anywhere. Is that a chance youre willing to take??

Thanks guys for all the input... but my trouble has been alleviated! Prayers do work! I got into my state school :) and there will be another spot open for a fellow waitlistee! Pray and believe! wow I am so psych!!! ahhhhhh:love:

what school did you give up?

I want your spot. So get the heck out of the way. I would not care if it cost me a big toe and one of my Bocci Balls, I would pay. Why? because I am not questioning my comitment to this. If you dont know, then do not go!

I don't want to sound rude to you... but...
anyone who refuses an acceptance is a f***ing idiot

If you refuse this acceptance now, there is a good chance, the schools from next cycle will know about it and will be affraid to give you a spot in thier school (becuase they'll be afraid you'll turn them down also)....
People who turn down acceptance letters (for silly reasons) are the once who are not 100% sure if dental medicine is for them....

Dont be picky. Dental school nowadays is competitive, way more competitive in the past. You have to consider the possibility that what if you wont get in next year even with your decent stats. If that happen even with slightest chance, you will waste the whole year.

I don't want to sound rude to you... but...
anyone who refuses an acceptance is a f***ing idiot

If you refuse this acceptance now, there is a good chance, the schools from next cycle will know about it and will be affraid to give you a spot in thier school (becuase they'll be afraid you'll turn them down also)....
People who turn down acceptance letters (for silly reasons) are the once who are not 100% sure if dental medicine is for them....

Relax guys, if you read a few post up...you'l see the OP is going to dental school. Congrats on getting your top choice!

Thanks guys for all the input... but my trouble has been alleviated! Prayers do work! I got into my state school :) and there will be another spot open for a fellow waitlistee! Pray and believe! wow I am so psych!!! ahhhhhh:love:

Congrats buddy! Time to get excited and spend your last 3 months relaxing.