Hard professor, iffy on whether I should drop this class advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lg245

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I am finishing up some pre-reqs so I can apply. I am trying to finish strong and am taking microbiology with this one professor. I tried crashing multiples classes, but for this one her class wasn't as packed as the other professors and for good reason. I am sitting at an 85 percent right now, she does not curve and her tests are pretty hard, very picky grader. Still early in the semester, but there is alot of points left however, I can only lose 60 more points to get an A. I don't want a B, but would getting a B in microbiology ruined my chances? I almost had an A in physiology with 89.8 but professor did not bump me up and I just got a B in anatomy. So at this point it would be 3 Bs with these core classes. :/ Would these scores ruin my chances at PA school? My gpa is a low 3.15

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPA would put you in the lower rung for most PA programs. GPA though is only part of the selection criteria. What healthcare experience do you have? Do you have any research experience? Who are the people writing your letters of recommendation? Do you have a good statement of purpose for why you want to be a PA?

Your professor didn't bump you up? Umm you earned an 89.8, not a 90.0 and in many schools a 90 is considered an A- and not the same as an A. Sounds to me like the professor was rather awesome in giving people A's even if they earned an A-. Then again I have sit through many of these classes and busted my butt and the grade I got was the grade I got. I've also been the person on the other side of the lecture hall and experience students sending me e-mails such as "hey prof I needed an A in this class and my score is an 89.5 can you bump me up to a 90 so I can get an A in your class? I need it for graduate school!"

No. If you are in a class that grades on a curve you're lucky! What are you going to do if you get into PA school and have a hard grader? My advice would be work on the other aspects I've mentioned for getting into a PA program (especially the healthcare experience and good letters!) and keep working your tail off in micro!

I had a cell biology professor who taught the course like a grad level medical course! We had to read 2 scientific journal articles she posted per week and do 3 page papers on it. We had a quiz every week. Our multiple choice exams could not have scantrons used because they went out to G for answers! Was she a hard professor? YES! Did I learn the material? YES! I still took my B and went on with life, but I learned a lot!

I'd drop in a heartbeat. Your GPA is going to be a weak spot already, and you'll want to get as many A's as you can, (and most certainly in prereqs). Why walk out of that with a B+ or whatever when you have the power to drop it and then get an A later on. If you see that through, it's a self inflicted wound as far as I'm concerned. You might learn a lot more from the tough instructor, but if you aren't in a position to put your best foot forward to an admissions committee, then you won't get the chance to use that knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd drop in a heartbeat. Your GPA is going to be a weak spot already, and you'll want to get as many A's as you can, (and most certainly in prereqs). Why walk out of that with a B+ or whatever when you have the power to drop it and then get an A later on. If you see that through, it's a self inflicted wound as far as I'm concerned. You might learn a lot more from the tough instructor, but if you aren't in a position to put your best foot forward to an admissions committee, then you won't get the chance to use that knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I know errgghh. So I think I am pass the deadline where if you drop it it won't show on your record. So now I think its if you drop you get a W. Drop to get a W or stick with it to get a C or B? Right now I have a 83 percent after this last exam. Still like 650 more points to go. Just very frustrating I had to pick one of the hardest professors and she is so picky with the grading. I have ilke 14 more things like projects, quizzes, exams while my other classmate just has 4 exams and 2 lab exams thats it, wtf? and the other professor gives extra credit and points for showing up.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's tough. But I found that a W can be helpful if the alternative is a C. It's a good deal if you come back and get an A. I really can't remember how W's calculate in to GPAs at different schools these days, but W's really are bad if they are surrounded by poor grades. Life events happen, and people have to drop classes sometimes. You might be able to afford a rare few W's if there isn't a pattern. But a course with a lot of points can help pad your grade too. If your buddy bombs a test he is instantly screwed, especially when there are just 4 or 5.

One thing to keep in mind is that grades are a huge deal, and very difficult to turn around. If you think you are in line to get a C, you better thin hard about dropping, and changing your ways to be able to get good grades.

So I am in a pretty rough spot, I have a 78 right now. Bombed my lab exam. still half more points to go. She does give extra credit around couple of percent. 2 or 3 percent in total she says. I think I can get a B in this class. But would it be better just to drop and get a W. THere is this one professor that is pretty easy from what I have heard. She is the one I originally wanted but she was all full when my enroll time opened. I don't think I ever had a W on my transcript before. So basically stick with it and get a B or drop get a W take it spring quarter with different professor? My idea is that I want to take biochem next semester so I will take biochem and microbio.

Hate to complain, but check out syllabus and tell me what you think about it. 8 lecture quizzes, 3 lecture exams, lecture final, lecture activites, 3 lab exams, 2 lab practicals, 1 lab final exam, 4 lab excercises, 2 research lab paper in total around 1000 plus points. This is one class. While my other friend with microbio only has 4 lecture exams and 2 lab practicals and extra credit and attendance points.

Last edited:
So I am in a pretty rough spot, I have a 78 right now. Bombed my lab exam. still half more points to go. She does give extra credit around couple of percent. 2 or 3 percent in total she says. I think I can get a B in this class. But would it be better just to drop and get a W. THere is this one professor that is pretty easy from what I have heard. She is the one I originally wanted but she was all full when my enroll time opened. I don't think I ever had a W on my transcript before. So basically stick with it and get a B or drop get a W take it spring quarter with different professor? My idea is that I want to take biochem next semester so I will take biochem and microbio.

Hate to complain, but check out syllabus and tell me what you think about it. 8 lecture quizzes, 3 lecture exams, lecture final, lecture activites, 3 lab exams, 2 lab practicals, 1 lab final exam, 4 lab excercises, 2 research lab paper in total around 1000 plus points. This is one class. While my other friend with microbio only has 4 lecture exams and 2 lab practicals and extra credit and attendance points.

That sounds pretty standard to me for a class of that scope. My cellular bio class had a lab with a quiz each week, a lab final written and lab final practical (histology slides mainly). The lecture had a weekly quiz, 2 midterms, a final, and 2 research papers. My anatomy and histology class was the same way as was my Microbiology course.