Hard To Get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moola

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I hope interviews are going ok with the offers rolling in. How early are we in the season? Currently, I have 9 interviews as of 10/19 but only 2 are from places are really want to go to (Emory and UIowa). I really want to go to a respected academic program with research emphasis. I admit I applied to a TON of programs because i didnt think of myself as even that competitive (non-AOA). Do the top schools play hard to get? Does the fact that I dont hear from them mean i'm pretty much don't stand a chance? Did the two interviews from top schools just a chance fluke because i applied to lots of programs? Is 9 pretty good at this point? I don't want to sound immodest or anything? At my school, there are others applying to ENT but either they are out of town or I don't know them well enough to ask them personal info like that. Please let me know.

Good luck to all. God bless.

Moooooola

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you are in great shape. I'd imagine many places have yet to send invites at all. Just be friendly and normal at your interviews and emphasize your interest in research/academics and you should have an excellent chance of matching at a top program. Good luck.

When I applied for graduating class of 2004 (so entered internship 1999) the stat was if you got offered 8 interviews, you had an 80% chance of getting in somewhere. If you got 12, you had a >90% chance of matching. I went to 10 interviews and ranked 9 (I hated one program). I got my top choice, but also got a call from a school that wanted to know why they didn't match me--so I know I would've made it even if my top choice didn't want me.

I wasn't AOA either--my school didn't offer it.

I don't know if those numbers still hold, but I think if you have 9 already, unless the number of applicants has drastically changed, statistically you're in a good position.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if those numbers still hold, but I think if you have 9 already, unless the number of applicants has drastically changed, statistically you're in a good position.

That was the going sentiment when I was applying as well; however, the SF Match (I guess THAT doesn't matter anymore) dispelled that rumor.

Suffice it to say: The more interviews you get, the better your chances are at matching. That at least says that programs think you are a good candidate. Your interview can really make or break your chances.

We've interviewed some great -- and I mean stellar -- candidates and some of those people have turned out to be really arrogant or just complete duds. So, numbers aren't everything. Keep that in mind. On the other hand, don't be overly relaxed and informal during the interview. We aren't your buds -- at least not yet.

I am in a very similar situation as you. I have 11 interviews so far... with the exception of 3-4 places, they are not "high-powered" research programs...No AOA...
What places have you heard from so far?

UIowa
Emory
Wayne State
Henry Ford
MCG
Mayo-Scottsdale
LSU-Shreveport
UTMB
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Upstate

How about U?

You should be fine. Tips for interviewing at Iowa:

1. DO: hang out at the residents interview party. DON'T: gett drunk and throw up in one of BA's aquariums.
2. DO: call our speciality otolaryngology instead of ENT. DON'T: pronounce larynx like "lair-nix."
3. DO: talk about what you liked at your other interviews. DON'T: go on and on about how cool your interview at Mayo was (JK).
4. DO: Realize that Gantz and Richard Smith are the only interviews that matter, so bring your "A" game for those two interviews and you should be golden. Key's to Gantz's heart: be able to describe your research projects well and have a good grasp of what your research "means" to otolaryngology.

Of course, you know I kidding about 1-3....well, actually, you shouldn't get drunk.

You should be fine. Tips for interviewing at Iowa:

1. DO: hang out at the residents interview party. DON'T: gett drunk and throw up in one of BA's aquariums.
2. DO: call our speciality otolaryngology instead of ENT. DON'T: pronounce larynx like "lair-nix."
3. DO: talk about what you liked at your other interviews. DON'T: go on and on about how cool your interview at Mayo was (JK).
4. DO: Realize that Gantz and Richard Smith are the only interviews that matter, so bring your "A" game for those two interviews and you should be golden. Key's to Gantz's heart: be able to describe your research projects well and have a good grasp of what your research "means" to otolaryngology.

5. DONT: shag the chairman's daughter.